Release PCSX ReARMed, with a new GPU

There are neonscaler/filter libraries available afaik. Maybe trying wouldn't hurt if it isn't too much hassle with those.

You can't throw a library at this, it'd have to be tightly integrated into the renderers and would be very expensive vs what it's doing now, since it'd have to do 4x the texture lookups and those can't be vectorized.

Scaling and pre-filtering the textures themselves would be less work and less expensive but still very problematic with the current renderer, which is built around 256x256 texture pages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prescaling is probably needed to keep things fast. It would also allow more expensive scaling algorithms (e.g. cubic, sinc/Lanczos, ...). Memory is probably not an issue. So this is probably the way to go. Of course this is easier said than done ;)

Thank notaz for this great teasing! Actually I'm impressed by the fact there are no real scaling artifacts on the screens you showed us. I would have expected issues like gaps between polygons/textures, but it seems quite clean. Nice job!

Finally I can play Final Fantasy in higher resolution.

I'm looking forward to this update.

Can someone post a screen-shot from either of the games shown for comparison with current rendering as I'm having difficulty seeing what the difference is.

Native PSX resolution first (2x scaled), then enhanced:

TOMBRAIDER-slus00152.234001152.png

TOMBRAIDER-slus00152.234001147.png

WIPEOUT2-scus94351.234001544.png

WIPEOUT2-scus94351.234001542.png

SLUS00707-SLUS00707.234003258.png

SLUS00707-SLUS00707.234003254.png

There seem to be some slowdowns on some effects though..

Wow those look really nice, time to prep my sd card again.

Hopefully my savestates from previous version will work.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

OH MAN! Missed this little sneaky-peak!

Looking forward to this. Finally can play games at a nice resolution without resorting to the buggy GLES plugin! :D

Thanks for exploring this Notaz and Exophase!

What model/clock is this?
dm3730@900MHz, 800 seems to be also enough for fullspeed Wipeout.

Wow those look really nice, time to prep my sd card again.

Hopefully my savestates from previous version will work.
It's not finished and released yet, but savestates should still be good when it's ready.

Notaz said:

There seem to be some slowdowns on some effects though..

Well, I don't mind lower resolution pre rendered background and I don't miind some slowdowns on some effects :) .

Are these slowdown also on the 1 GH Pandoras? I'll buy one of those anyways as soon as all test-run preorderers units are shipped.

Native PSX resolution first (2x scaled), then enhanced.

Wow! This comparison is impressive!

You can from then on indeed advertise PCSX ReARMed with the tagline:

Emulation better than the original. (Courtesy: _wb_ & porg) :D

Any idea what the performance will be for those of us with Classic Pandoras?
Based on my old benchmarks it should not be more than 10% slower, meaning you'd need upto 10% more overclock to get the same result as dm3730. However it's pushing much more pixels this time, so faster RAM might have higher effect on it, I'll check. It's now possible to overclock RAM too to try to compensate for it.

I can't wait for this to be released.

It's now possible to overclock RAM too to try to compensate for it.

Just curious Notaz, is It possible to overclock the SGX on OMAP 3530? Well without having to deal with playing with JTAG and such.

It's now possible to overclock RAM too to try to compensate for it.

Just curious Notaz, is It possible to overclock the SGX on OMAP 3530? Well without having to deal with playing with JTAG and such.
Yeah, together with RAM you overclock SGX too:

You can't overclock it separately though as it doesn't have dedicated clock (shares system PLL).

Back