Release PCSX ReARMed, with a new GPU

Hey Notaz, some question.

You now make high scaling for 3D graphics.

Is there also a way to dot his with 2D graphics?

On Super Nintendo Emulator we have a scaler that makes the sprites look really great.

So is it possible to increase 2D resolution, too?

It's not a request, I simply wonder if that's possible on PSX emulator, too.

I'm curious, what's is the difference between antialiasing an rendering at double resolution. Is there any difference for the viewer, because all emulators I have used in PC have different levels of antialiasing but I can't remember anyone that had the double/triple/whatever resolution rendering option.
On the PC, there is a "new fashioned" Technic to bring better Image and Anti aliased Quality to the screen without traditional Anti Aliasing. "Downsampling" renders a higher Res internal than the Screen can show. Then the bigger Image is downscaled to the Screen resolution and you get a sharp and Anti Aliased Image. Costs alot more Processor Power of course.

Maybe, notaz used something similar here because not only the edges are smoothed but also the "grain" is gone. ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a problem with Chrono Cross, when I enter the menu to replace elements after 10/15 seconds a slowdown happens and it's so slow that even the keypress responds after some seconds... anyway after some time, if I remain in the menu the game goes super fast, and then for a while goes normal speed, than again slooooow...

If I exit the menu after some second the speed goes normal and it's playable again, until I returns in the menu...

I don't remember this issue the last time I played with an older version of the emulator.

I tried to disable frame liimit, frame skip, and all the music options, but the problem seems not there...

I had a problem on Chrono Cross where sometimes after exiting the menu the screen would be black until I got into a battle or moved to a different room (had to play the guessing game there).

I've ripped a .bin/.cue of Breath of Fire III SLUS-00422 (US). The game loads fine, but it doesn't respond to any button presses. Loading with scph1001.bin and the rest default settings.

I had the same problem, though my rip was a bin/toc. I was able to fix it by setting Controls -> Port 1 Device to Standard (SCPH-1080).

That fixed Breath of Fire III, as well as Vandal Hearts and Suikoden.

I fixed my problem by choosing "reset defaults" (not sure if that's exactly what it's called), turns out I didn't have the right setting for something somewhere.

I'm curious, what's is the difference between antialiasing an rendering at double resolution. Is there any difference for the viewer, because all emulators I have used in PC have different levels of antialiasing but I can't remember anyone that had the double/triple/whatever resolution rendering option.

Antialiasing just smoothes the edges, so everything will look smoother but also a bit blurred.

Rendering with a higher resolution increases the details as well.

For example: Imagine having a tree as an object. If the tree is near to the camera, you can see the single leafs. If it's far away, the single leafs turn into a blurry mess. With antialiasing, the tree would look smooth, but the leafs still stay like a blurry mess. With higher res rendering you will also be able to see the single leafs again.

This only works in 3D, of course, as 2D doesn't have more details.

Crash Team Racing doesn't work. It either crashes after loading a track or freezes on boot. Any ideas on why this happens?

Thanks ED and Fusion_Power for the answers now I understand it better.

Thanks for the work notaz, can't wait to see the next version of the emulator.

Have to wait a bit till I get home so I can try CTR again, but Crash Bash doesn't work either, could the reason be the same as with CTR?EDIT: Couldn't get CTR to work. The game boots up but freezes in the intro sequence. I'll try with new rip tonight, and if that doesn't work.... then what, any ideas? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to wait a bit till I get home so I can try CTR again, but Crash Bash doesn't work either, could the reason be the same as with CTR?EDIT: Couldn't get CTR to work. The game boots up but freezes in the intro sequence. I'll try with new rip tonight, and if that doesn't work.... then what, any ideas? :D

different BIOS?

I'm using the maemo port by Sakya and Bonapart and Jumping Flash seems to crash after the first dragon boss. Can anyone confirm if this happens in the pandora version too? Thank you! :)

Finally! CTR is working perfectly. Even though I don't have my TV out cable yet, playing with friends in split screen with PS controllers is even now goddamn awesome. If this isn't the best and most flexible handheld, I don't know what is. This is just great, thanks guys!

Finally! CTR is working perfectly. Even though I don't have my TV out cable yet, playing with friends in split screen with PS controllers is even now goddamn awesome. If this isn't the best and most flexible handheld, I don't know what is. This is just great, thanks guys!

How did you link the PS controllers to Pandora?

I've tried to find some PS1 to USB adapter but couldn't find one.

Could you please tell me some brand which produces them?

Do PS2 to USB also work?

I don't have a PS2 so I don't know if they are the same.

I got myself and USB 2.0 hub and connected the PS3 controllers with usb cable to the hub. Then I just ran the sixpair utility once and after that I configured the controllers at PCSX. There are more detailed instructions on the forum somewhere.

As I'm currently working on some more new Pandora videos, I made a quick teaser of the upcoming version :)

Video is uploading right now and should be live soon.

Please watch in Fullscreen - you'll spot the differences more easily :)

Why did you switch sides of original and enhanced graphics all the time? So confusing :)

I got myself and USB 2.0 hub and connected the PS3 controllers with usb cable to the hub. Then I just ran the sixpair utility once and after that I configured the controllers at PCSX. There are more detailed instructions on the forum somewhere.

Thanks.

Notaz, I see you added the NEON scaling filters to the TODO list with the intention for 2D games. My question is this though, would it be possible to apply these filters on the textures for the 3D GPU. It may not make much difference in terms of 320x240 renderinf, but I should it would look even more gorgeouse on the new 640x480 renderer!

Notaz, I see you added the NEON scaling filters to the TODO list with the intention for 2D games. My question is this though, would it be possible to apply these filters on the textures for the 3D GPU. It may not make much difference in terms of 320x240 renderinf, but I should it would look even more gorgeouse on the new 640x480 renderer!

The renderer has to use the same size textures because it doesn't work with texture pages that aren't 256x256. Anything different would be a major change.

Back