Release PCSX ReARMed, with a new GPU

Are you sure it's not overclocking related?
???

Sorry, not sure. My Pandora is not Overclocked, and the PSX emu runs AFAIK with 650MHz in my case. I'm using the old 256MB Pandora with the newest firmware. I also tried varios Biso Files but no luck. It just hangs up, annoying. Emulator is set to fullscreen, no new Filters or anything. I did not tried the .bin before, So no clue if an older version of your emu works or the .bin is just broken.

Like I sayed, it starts normaly, you can't save in the tutorial or skip it (now I remember why I never was a fan of these Console games. :D ) so you have to go through the entire tutorial. But because of lack of time I have to use quicksaves. So I noticed the issue just after a while. I may give them to you so you can test, maybe.

EDIT: here are the saves for Tomb Raider - The Last Revelation (E) [sLES-02238] one quicksave contains the level end or cutscene start or whatever there comes.

http://depositfiles....files/ilg1h1cew

EDIT2: same situation with different version of Tomb Raider4, the german one behaves the same. Maybe it is savegame releated, hmmm....

Last edited by a moderator:
Marvel Super Heroes got vertical lines when using high res (i think it's useless anyway with this game).

Has anyone gotten Final Fantasy VI working? I've been trying to run a PAL version of it and I keep getting this weird audio issue where the audio sounds like it's skipping notes. The opening CGI cutscene and title screen work fine but the screen where you can start a new game/load the music starts to skip every other note after a few seconds. If you start a game with each scene it just seems to get worse and worse until barely any music is being played. I reached the opening credits scene before giving up. I've tried changing BIOS files, CPU speed and iso rips and I still get the same issue no matter what. :/

Has anyone gotten Final Fantasy VI working? I've been trying to run a PAL version of it and I keep getting this weird audio issue where the audio sounds like it's skipping notes. The opening CGI cutscene and title screen work fine but the screen where you can start a new game/load the music starts to skip every other note after a few seconds. If you start a game with each scene it just seems to get worse and worse until barely any music is being played. I reached the opening credits scene before giving up. I've tried changing BIOS files, CPU speed and iso rips and I still get the same issue no matter what. :/
The audio issue is known by Notaz, I reported it in the private beta.

Unfortunately it's non-trivial to fix so it might be a while until a fix is in place. It also affects Chrono Trigger and the other FF remakes.

Damn, does anyone know if the SNES version works consistently throughout the game? I'd like to use my own PSX rip but if I can't I'll play the SNES version. I just don't want to find out it has crippling slowdown half way through the game and waste all that time.

The Megaman X series games also have some artefacts when using hires.

Has anyone gotten Final Fantasy VI working? I've been trying to run a PAL version of it and I keep getting this weird audio issue where the audio sounds like it's skipping notes.
Made a preliminary fix for this one today, it's a regression from r9 (released over a year and no one reported). Until next version is released, you can use r8 (you can keep both versions):

http://notaz.gp2x.de..._rearmed_r8.pnd

Stupid question time, is it possible to change between the new hires rendere and the normal one on the fly (ie without going the menu)? that's be a cool party trick to show off the Pandora I think! :)

Stupid question time, is it possible to change between the new hires rendere and the normal one on the fly (ie without going the menu)? that's be a cool party trick to show off the Pandora I think! :)

Yep, you can define it as hotkey in the config.

Yep, you can define it as hotkey in the config.

Thanks ED, I must look into that more at the weekend when I get some time outside work!! ;) (I believe there's still such a thing as "outside work", but sometimes I'm not 100% sure!! :blink: )

Has anyone gotten Final Fantasy VI working? I've been trying to run a PAL version of it and I keep getting this weird audio issue where the audio sounds like it's skipping notes.
Made a preliminary fix for this one today, it's a regression from r9 (released over a year and no one reported). Until next version is released, you can use r8 (you can keep both versions):

http://notaz.gp2x.de..._rearmed_r8.pnd
Ha... trust you to fix it so quickly! ;)

Beginners question, which BIOS is the best to use?
I also once asked myself the question, and answered it dilettantish to myself:

I looked into this Wikipedia article and section and saw that SCPH1001 was only 1 after the original revision,

so I guess is the safest to take, in terms of backward compatibility (the manufacturer wants newer games to also work on the oldest revision to not piss of customers, I guess)

but at the same time avoiding the very first revision with possibly some "child diseases". (Just think of the CC Pandora ;-) )

end of the tutorial.
I confirm this bug. Tomb Raider, EU version, at the end of the tutorial level (in the swimming pool room) it crashes.

But the following level changes work, although sofar I only made it into level 2.

Workaround: Play the tutorial not at all. If you need it to familiarize yourself with the game concept and controls, then play the tutorial only until the swimming pool room, then abort the level, and start the real game, level 1.

UPDATE: Already noticed that issue in r15 !

Star wars dark forces shows vertical lines in high res mode.

It's not that important as it's a 3D game with 2D stuff so scale 2x looks good here.

One "problem" with Scale2x on emulators of relatively recent consoles like the PS1, is that it was designed to scale pixel art with a limited color depth (usually 16 or 256 colors) and limited resolution (e.g. 320x240) to the same limited color depth but at a higher resolution (e.g. 640x480). The PS1 on the other hand has full 24 bit color and most of its games have a limited resolution.

With low color depth source images, the condition that some of the pixel values are identical occurs quite often - after all, there's not that many colors to choose from. With high color depth, identical values are quite a bit rarer: even if you have a area colored in what seems to be the same color, there might be a subtle color gradient. And if those "identical value" conditions are rarely met, the algorithm essentially boils down to simple nearest neighbor scaling.

So maybe we should construct an improved variant of Scale2x to take that into account. E.g. not compare exact color values, but only the most significant bits. Or make the base case not NN but some interpolation. Or something even more complicated.

Also: would it be possible to render the 3D bits at double resolution and the 2D bits with some scaler?

Pardon my ignorance, but I've done a quick flick through the thread and couldn't find an answer to my question: How well does this run on a 256MB Original Pandora? I'm in the market for a Pandora, and not too fussed about multi tasking, but PS1 emulation would be a massive draw for me.

The PS1 on the other hand has full 24 bit color and most of its games have a limited resolution.
But 24bpp is only used for videos, GPU can only draw primitives at 15bpp.

Also: would it be possible to render the 3D bits at double resolution and the 2D bits with some scaler?
Yeah, but the scaler should be able to work with 8x8 (or similar, like 32x32) tiles, as that's how the games draw 2D layers.

Back