Is there really a light at the end of the journey...?

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Jun 10, 2018.

1. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Chaotic Neutral

If we tell a detailed tale of this "rerailed" derailed thread, and subsequently retell it, can we get a retail Pyra?

2. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Not necessarily any hold up. If the case he received was 100% okay, he still needed to order 500 more cases, and there will be a lead time on that work. And I don't know what the lead time on populating the old 4GB PCBs is, and it may have turned out they've oxidised too much and aren't workable, so more boards will need to be made.

All we can really say is the ED is too busy doing something to do a status report either here or on twitter. That's not unsual, and we can't really guess what's taking up his time.

Now I look, he did post to the kernel mailing list about a week ago with a software summary, and saying some more prototypes should be available in the weeks to follow. I can see from that list Notaz is still working with an uncased set of boards, and apparently those can be quite hard to get to boot (there's a current surge needed during boot and at certain points in the boot sequence the USB power is apparently artificially limited - if you've a battery also connected it can cope with this surge).

https://www.pyra-handheld.com/pipermail/kernel/2018-June/002500.html

Grench, Djoga'Ro, NetBLOKS and 2 others like this.
  3. Christoph.Krn

Christoph.Krn Very Active Member

But you're a Staff Member, get it back on the rails...?

4. Letalis Sonus

Letalis Sonus Advanced Member

This thread is already metarailed, you can't rerail onto rails that derailed.

5. Kev2442

Kev2442 Still French

My hurt brains.

6. Mese96

Mese96 Still Fresh

railly ?

spiralofhope likes this.
  7. Revan

Revan Newbie

This is a non-sequitur. A component that has been succeeded by another iteration is by definition obselete. ARM Cortex is at 73 now, as I recall. If the OMAP5 was used in a new phone by a startup with nothing released before that phone, it will still be obselete. The screen may be new, the camera may be new, but the OMAP will still have been succeeded. When Ninty released the WiiU, using old components, just because there had never before been a Nintendo console with a touchscreen controller doesn't mean the hardware wasn't obselete. Just because there's no Switch with Pascal architecture doesn't mean the Maxwell architecture isn't obselete. The PS3 has the Cell processor. PS4 is X86. Would you say that the PS3 Is not obsolete by the PS4 just because there was no new iteration of the Cell, and sony used Jaguar instead? Look. I get the need to believe your 800 bucks was spent wisely, especially after all this time. But plenty of other devices used the OMAP5 (OG Droid included, which was a great device, but could not run any modern applications as of today.) Perhaps "obselete" isn't the right word, but the undisputable fact is that the monetary value of ALL the components in the Dragonbox Pyra have depreciated significantly after all these years. There's no opinion here, no right or wrong, it's just facts. It's the same as a PC from 2014, or a TV from 2014. In fact, most items, electronic or not, depreciate as such. Now your use case might not have lost value, but fiscally/technologically speaking, yes, your Pyra was worth a certain amount at inception. Now that all these years have passed, those same components have exponentially lost value and function, as modern, maintained applications give more thought to usability by modern devices & architecture.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  8. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

So in your world fact and truth are orthogonal?
    I rest my case.

Btw, obsolete is, what's no longer used.

ClockworkCoder and levi like this.
  9. Swordfish II

Swordfish II Very Active Member

"obsolete" depends on the person. My newest computer is 10+ years old. I own and drive a car older than me. The phone I am typing this on is 3 years old...and i just got it...

I do think society has turned into spec chasers without regard to need. All of you, I, and most only "need" the lowest processor, ram, etc.

Things are obsolete when they don't meet the basic need

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  10. levi

Wiktionary defines obsolete as the state of having gone into disuse, indeed that depends on each user of the word. My copy of Chambers (12th edition) doesn't even consider the word itself in need of definition (being so commonly known), but its meaning can be elucidated from its defintion of obsolescence, and it's basically the same as the wiktionary definition.

For me the Pandora and the Pyra (and the GP/GPH consoles that preceded them) are more about the community than the specs, so as the newest device that that community actively supports, I fully intend to make good use of mine.

Djoga'Ro and ClockworkCoder like this.
  11. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Chaotic Neutral

@Revan
    The Pyra, irrespective of underlying hardware, is being actively supported and maintained.

I'm so looking forward to it.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 24, 2018, Original Post Date: Jun 24, 2018 ---
    So many have been brainwashed by modern consumerism: namely by what is termed "planned obsolescence".

Mainstream companies want us to believe that we *have* to buy the latest gadgets to be able to perform day-to-day activities. Truth is, often ironically, the majority of people who get caught up in this ideology only really use their electronic devices for email, social media and browsing. I concede - perhaps if they can't use Facebook, then, for them, the product may be thought to be "obsolete".

However (and thankfully), a considerable proportion of the Linux community are different. They (we) take hardware that others have considered "obsolete" (unsupported, unused or "no longer fit for purpose", at least from a narrow perspective), install fresh software, and ultimately make new things possible. We don't largely ascribe to the notion of hardware being disposable or necessarily having a maximum shelf-life of 6-18 months.

Here's a definition I like: Emergence

Pretty much all of the hardware I've enjoyed the most over the years have become "more than the sum of their parts": to end up being able to do so much more than any of the original designers ever considered possible.

FBnil, Swordfish II, Djoga'Ro and 2 others like this.
  12. Bernd

Bernd Very Active Member

Nice Talk.

But some news would be great.

ClockworkCoder likes this.
  13. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

What, there's news?

erico likes this.
  14. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

You will receive news once I have this case sets.
    A FedEx pickup is planned for Monday (I'm handling the shipping this time since the last time with DHL the package magically disappeared - now I know exactly what's going on).

Sent from my Moto Z using Tapatalk

jeeks, rygD, rSl and 5 others like this.
  15. Yogendra

Yogendra Still Fresh

Well I hope you get it all together by cristmas

Swordfish II and rSl like this.
  16. Bernd

Bernd Very Active Member

Which year?

Swordfish II, Yasu, Kippykip and 3 others like this.
  17. ThinkPad

ThinkPad Very Active Member

I cant understand,
    How this cases are traveling so long from Greece to Germany,
    Every time it took weeks!

WTF are they shipping it from the North Pole or something.

Yasu likes this.
  18. ible

ible one using vim and i3

Thrice in CA, twice in ND, once in the NL
    Santa Express ain't all it's cracked up to be. delivery to anywhere in the world, but only on one night each year...

19. levi

To be fair, it's currently two weeks since the OP so in practice it will have taken a little over two weeks (since it was claimed to have already been sent in the OP), and I'd guess 500 sets of plastic parts make a pretty big package to send. While Greece is in the Eurozone, the most direct route following the coast between Greece and Germany crosses Albania and some of the Yugoslav states, and I'm not sure which of those are eurozone countries or even part of the schengen zone. In my experience crossing borders between eurozone and non eurozone can take a while, even for small parcels, and that's even once they've found a big enough van heading in that vague direction.

Otherwise they may have decided to take it across the meditteranean and dock the boat in italy, but we know what trouble trying to dock foreign owned ships there can cause just at the moment.

20. Kev2442

Kev2442 Still French

Let's hope it's not shipped to Spain, with a freight train to Germany, as here in France they've been on strike for more than Two Months™.
    What cliché ? :p
    They're only celebrating May 68 !

P.S : Two months ? Are they waiting for the Pyra too ?

FBnil and levi like this.