The current situation

hi again,

indeed i see in building up a more accessible identity and proper marketing and advertizing, cared public relations, the most important things that should be done. communication and (re)presentation on all ends. what else could be done? you need to increase the target audience. make it known, explain it to them (easily) and wake wishes, imagination, identification.

for the image/identity of the pandora you cant just hire some (cheap) media-designer and see what comes out (same with a contest). an identity and the presentation must be homogene and well though through. this needs time and a closed discussion group were you work on. a close collaboration. the community can bring ideas in in a general thread, but the work itself must be made in calm peace and with qualified people that have the thing at heart - and must become the base of all outgoing campaigns as well. ed and craig must to be involved in this off course, they must give consent and direct input, but the organization and work must be done by others, as craig and ed dont have time to care for such a thing.

with "it is not an ideal world" i meant that he/you is driving naiv here, maybe. i would not try to create a sellable product and then give it away for free. per example, i would not produce an audiobook as physical item (cd) and then let also everyone download the digital version for free just to be nice to the world. it diminish the value of the real product. it is also not a marketing idea in generall and in this situation, maybe for the geeks, but those dont need it, they can put together there own card.

and for the access only for people who have donated or bought the pandora, yes, maybe, but i would keep it simple, dont cosntruct such confusing levels.

you can have a lot of ideas and do a lot of things, but i would focus my ressources.

i dont think t-shirts and such are a good idea for the situation we are talking about. merchandise can be offered, it will may help, but it will not save the situation. but hence again, focus your ressources. probably it will cost more then it brings in (like making 1000 t-shirts and selling 147 over three years). the commercial sd card thing may can be done, but it will also not recover much. the sales will be very very slow. and it will show as additional costs for the pandora. to produce such a sd card and manage all, that will costs also time and money. i would really more give a free preconfigured 4gb sd card with each sold pandora, and advertize the software potential that comes with it, out of the box.

i think the pandora is a viable product. like the 3ds which does what it should do also if it has not the hardware specs of a psvita, per example. and there you must go away from seeing the pandora technically. nintendo does not advertize the 3ds with hardware specs, but with what joy it brings, which use it carries. therefore i dont like the 1 ghz edition presented like that, see my posting above. (the 1ghz pandora should be presented as special founder edition with special sd card and software, + maybe s special community or support or software level (but that makes it complicated again), so not the 400mhz alone make the (ridiculous) difference - and the focus is not put directly on (the difference of) hardware specs.

but the most important thing to do now is to look that the icontrolpad v2 goes through kickstarter with success! here, now, is marketing required, mouth to mouth, but also presenting and explaining at various boards, blogging, making cool artwork, showing how it is meant to be, and so on. contact blogs and bigger sites with premade info articles/presentations, put it into a press pool, use social media thingys, and so on. try to organize, as suggested, a task force team with an acting manager - announce you are searching for such a team, someone, maybe ed or craig.

btw. looking at the icp website, i see the same errors. way too much text, missing simple explanations and pictures (the ones i see are technical), way too much videos - while the website design itself looks good. i cant see the icp v2 anywhere on the site..?

best wishes,

vic20

p.s.: the trailer video "pandora - eine kleine übersicht" carries the feeling which should be represented by the website/marketingwise very well. this is a good video. https://www.dragonbo...-rebirth-1.html (sadly burried) at the end of the page (and not to be found on the official pandora website..).

edit:

p.p.s.: i may have not expressed myself with the necessary clearity: i dont think t-shirts, stickers, bumpers, sd-cards with freeware on it, etc., will help in any way, most probably all these hinders more as you get lost in small things that produce more work then income while not focusing on what is to do.

i have not reed the thing with the t-hirts-company (or the posts before talking about such nonsense, i skipped that), but it makes no difference, my example still stays. and here you would only enrich the t-shirt company, printed one by one.. but i dont want to talk about "t-shirts, and stickers and sd cards with freeware for a high price" at all.. that is stupid community stuff, and you make become the community a cash cow..

if you think that is such a good idea, then do it. dont just talk about it, put your money where your mouth is, as goes the saying. then you will start thinking from another perspective. @overgaus, hire a media-designer, make logos for t-shirts, sell them, with an open community account (reproducible sales/incomes), deduct your expenses and let the cash flow towards the pandora.. if you think you will earn enough to buy some bread alone with that.. - not badly meant.

.. to find buyers for the pandora now, get it to known, interesst people in it, open new target audiences, make marketing, thats it.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont think t-shirts and such are a good idea for the situation we are talking about. merchandise can be offered, it will may help, but it will not save the situation. but hence again, focus your ressources. probably it will cost more then it brings in (like making 1000 t-shirts and selling 147 over three years). the commercial sd card thing may can be done, but it will also not recover much. the sales will be very very slow. and it will show as additional costs for the pandora. to produce such a sd card and manage all, that will costs also time and money.

Hi thanks for your great points. I mentioned that the shirts wouldn't cost money and only generate money. Same with mugs, bumper stickers etc. However it repeating and clarifying the idea is a good thing to do so here we go!

Come up with a catchy logo and maybe a qr code for tshirts that directs to Pandora's website. Actually a well designed QR code would be quite cool. They all don't have to just be white and black squares you know.

You can also make your own personalized gifts with our easy design tool which allows you the ability to add photos, text, images, to even creating designs or logos from scratch. Our breadth of merchandise you can customize includes high-quality products such as t-shirts, hoodies, posters, bumper stickers, mugs and much more. At CafePress we print each item as it's ordered, and products usually ship within 24 hours. CafePress also allows you to set up online shops for free where you can design & sell your own creatively designed merchandise. Founded in 1999, CafePress is the leader in on-demand printing.

Now as you can see you don't have 1000 t-shirts in stock. You have NO STOCK. Like I said it's a set it and forget it solution that basically runs itself and doesn't require a concentration of focus because it doesn't detract from any of the things you'd want to focus on since it cost NO MONEY TO RUN.....As I mentioned earlier it only generates revenue and advertisment for free! WHICH OF YOU STILL WANT TO ARGUE AGAINST THIS?

Shop Pricing Policy

There are no out-of-pocket setup, printing or inventory costs with CafePress. Each CafePress product sold through your Basic and/or Premium shops has a Base Price that includes all fees associated with selling.* You simply set your retail price† above the Base Price. When you sell an item, we keep the Base Price and we send you the markup.**

What is included in your base price?

print_icon.gif
Print Article |
email_icon.gif
Email Link
spacer.gif

CafePress.com base prices cover product creation, customer service, transaction management, returns/exchanges and online shop maintenance. Click here to see a list of all CafePress.com merchandise and associated base prices: http://www.cafepress...om_pricing.aspx

When you sell an item, we keep the base price and you keep the markup as commission. If your commissions exceed the payment threshold that you’ve set we send you a commission payment for the markup amount once per month.

Note: An additional 5% transaction fee will be charged on markup amounts greater than $15. For example, if you markup an item by $20, an additional fee of .25 will be charged (that is 5% of the $5 over the $15 markup limit). The customer pays shipping costs. Click hereto see shipping information on all CafePress.com merchandise.

Thanks for the clarification and I agree with most of your points fully. Please continue to provide your perspective and ideas as they are quite valuable! :)

As an aside when I preordered my two Pandoras I interacted with a lady named Jennifer(?). Sorry it was awhile ago. Would she be the person that I need to contact to cancel both of my preorders? I think I'm in Craigix's que. Thanks!

Oh one more thing about the Digital DC comics Batman themed Pandora Idea. Have you considered asking them about it anyway? Ignoring the guy that says we'd generate a negative perception and then goes on to generate a negative perception by dissing the Pandora team because who cares about a small ass company owned by OPT?

This is how you ask. You prepare a press kit (that would need to be made otherwise when sending out review units) that illustrates the functionality of the unit, basic features and how to get around on the device. To that you add a prospectus that highlights why this would be a mutually beneficial relationship.

You show that DC's userbase would grow as the Pandora grows, and that the nature of the contest on the mega-huge Deviant Art would expose even more people to the existence of their digital service espescially since a large amount of the target audience would already own an iphone or android device. You might mention that a Batman themed Pandora would ride on the success of the recent Batman films and the cost of their support would be minimal as their prize contribution amounts to zero costs because we are talking about digital media that they could provide copies of or access to basically free of charge.

Contest details would be posted on the OPT site as well as DC's. A Batman theme is PERFECT for the Pandora! Just look at it!

Show that in essence they are getting free advertisement to the huge amount of visitors to Deviant Art (which is a cool and hip underground niche that I'm sure they wouldn't mind access to, especially since it's populated by nerds-in a good way- that could appreciate their offerings.) while the contest itself would drive visitors to their site and OPT's.

it would be very easy to make a Batman themed/skinned/wallpapered/painted unit. Provide a digital or real mock up of said unit. Mail it in and wait for their answer. Even if they say no you would have created a much needed press kit that had to be made anyway and you'd gain experience dealing with other companies and how to sell your product. How much does it cost DC to allow us to use their app on the Pandora? Zero. How much does it cost them to provide art assests for the contest when thousands of such art assets are just sitting around on hard drives somewhere? Zero. If demand is high enough how much would it cost OPT to licene images to actively sell these units(a t apremium no less)? Negotiable. How much does it cost them to provide digital copies of comics or access to them as a prize when the contest itself would drive users to their site? The time it would take to get that approved and implemented.

If that doesn't work you do the exact same thing but for Marvel's digital service. It would be easy as you already made the prospectus, press kit and digital mock up but this time included glowing ring of lights as part of the retheme.

But you know the best thing to do is nothing. I get the impression people would rather slam their johnsons in a george forman grill than face the HORRORS of asking even though they'd be gaining skills and experience at the same time. The same skills and experience needed to keep the Pandora, topical, interesting and relevant...

But yah you know whatevs...

Oh yah but what if it works? The blogosphere would EXPLODE! Good thing we don't need any more positive chatter, new visitors, more units sold and three "free" art assets to be used for more promotions and ads. Better quit while we're ahead. Gambling when we have nothing to lose is a fool's game.

p.p.s.: i may have not expressed myself with the necessary clearity: i dont think t-shirts, stickers, bumpers, sd-cards with freeware on it, etc., will help in any way, most probably all these hinders more as you get lost in small things that produce more work then income while not focusing on what is to do.

i have not reed the thing with the t-hirts-company (or the posts before talking about such nonsense, i skipped that), but it makes no difference, my example still stays. and here you would only enrich the t-shirt company, printed one by one.. but i dont want to talk about "t-shirts, and stickers and sd cards with freeware for a high price" at all.. that is stupid community stuff, and you make become the community a cash cow..

if you think that is such a good idea, then do it. dont just talk about it, put your money where your mouth is, as goes the saying. then you will start thinking from another perspective. @overgaus, hire a media-designer, make logos for t-shirts, sell them, with an open community account (reproducible sales/incomes), deduct your expenses and let the cash flow towards the pandora.. if you think you will earn enough to buy some bread alone with that.. - not badly meant.

edit: with dc and batman you mean the dc universe, like marble? they will never work together with the pandora.. why should they - that is nothing to them, not even marketing, just time &money. and they would need to care more about that their brand does not get damaged (geeky per example). + if, you would most certainly need to pay a license fee. "keep it real".

.. to find buyers for the pandora now, get it to known, interesst people in it, open new target audiences, make proper marketing, thats it.

edit: with dc and batman you mean the dc universe, like marble? they will never work together with the pandora.. why should they - that is nothing to them, not even marketing, just time &money. and they would need to care more about that their brand does not get damaged (geeky per example). + if, you would most certainly need to pay a license fee. "keep it real".

.. to find buyers for the pandora now, get it to known, interesst people in it, open new target audiences, make proper marketing, thats it.

Hi if you didn't read the thing about the t-shirt company we can't have a discussion. Your main point was that it would cost more to produce them than what they would bring in as profit. There is no cost to produce them so I'm not sure where your issue lies. The main point you don't understand is that this process is not meant to generate huge sums of profit. They idea is to make it so that people other than those that live on the internet can be made aware of the product because t-shirt wearers are living advertisment. Beyond that I don't think you understand what your asking or what is being said.

I've provided a few examples on how to do just that. They directly address those points. WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST IS THE BEST WAY TO DO THESE "THAT'S IT" OBJECTIVES OF YOURS?

How do you find buyers now?

How do you get it known?

How do you interest people in it?

How do you open new target audiences?

How do you make proper marketing?

How do you do any of these things without identifying what is slowing adoption, listening to customer needs, etc. What kind a fan doesn't want a T-shirt of the thing he's a fan of?

Do you actually have any suggestions? Any ideas? Thoughts on moving forward. Because saying the ideas to market pandora, open new audiences, market the unit that you have @overgauss is meaningless when your reasoning as to why the ideas are bad is because we need to market the pandora, open new audiences blah blah. DUH. Obviously we need to do these things, that's what these ideas are meant to address.

takato14]Considering the powerful audio components in the Pandora' date=' I might be able to help get a few people on Head-Fi to get one.[/quote said:
Cool deal. That should help.

I'm bowing out while there's still a chance to get a refund. Even 100 cancels plus the ones in this thread can't convince anyone that something needs to be actively done to address the pre-order issues. There's been a few positive spots from a few people here but mainly most every plan, idea, suggestion or rumination presented here has been shat upon with no suggestion offered in return.

There is no plan. No method of suggesting one and it's obvious that focusing ones resources and addressing the original preorders is best done by focusing on icp2 and 1ghz Pandoras. If this thread doesn't convince people that there is minimal concern for preorders (people cancelled in this thread and no one said shit) then I don't know what will.

Hi I need to cancel my orders for 2 pandoras and whatever peripherals I had. Thanks. Order date: Oct 12, 2009 3:48 PM PDT

Google order number: 634182255776219 Shipping Status Qty Item Price Not yet shipped 1 Payment request from Open Pandora Ltd - 4478ACN4109 Pandora x 2 Case x 2 TV Air £484.20 Total: £484.20 (includes VAT £0.00)

Out of curiousity I calculated how much I paid then versus how much I'm getting back today.

USD (US Dollars) to EUR (Euros) exchange rate for October 12, 2009

Bookmark this page Convert To Result Explain 1 USD EUR 0.67672 EUR 1 USD = 0.67672 EUR on 10/12/2009 100 USD EUR 67.6720 EUR 100 USD = 67.6720 EUR on 10/12/2009 10000 USD EUR 6,767.20 EUR 10,000 USD = 6,767.20 EUR on 10/12/2009 1000000 USD EUR 676,720.47 EUR 1,000,000 USD = 676,720.47 EUR on 10/12/2009

Paid: 484/.67672=$715.21

Will Recieve: 484/.7781=$622

Edit: Also in 2009 $715.21 was worth $768.02

i didnt just tell abstract ideas, i tryed to explain with practical suggestion what should be done, like with the websites, preparing a press kit, approaching blogs, not to wait until they may approach, putting together a marketing task force, and so on - just to not let it stand that i would not have suggested things which can really be done.

if you read my posts you will see that i have suggested a lot of practical things, of really practical things! not things like seeling t-shirts to the "fanbase" ; ) : P

Hi I need to cancel my orders for 2 pandoras and whatever peripherals I had. Thanks. Order date: Oct 12, 2009 3:48 PM PDT

Google order number: 634182255776219 Shipping Status Qty Item Price Not yet shipped 1 Payment request from Open Pandora Ltd - 4478ACN4109 Pandora x 2 Case x 2 TV Air £484.20 Total: £484.20 (includes VAT £0.00)

It's sad to see someone with the gumption you have go.

Everytime someone comes up with some ideas or a solid opportunity to get some free advertisment out there a couple of the same people line up to piss on those ideas long enough to take the fun out of it and stop the momentum.

Thing is, the way forward is to try to get the Pandora to new customers, same for the ICP2. Trying to peddle product after product (and premium after premium) to the same small group is just going to result in dwindling amounts of money coming in.

I hope you have a change of heart but wish you all the best in any event. I enjoyed your gung ho, can do, motivated posting and although I too didn't think every idea you had was going to result in great results it's always better then the apathic cynical approach of the people who attacked you.

Keep this spirit and you'll turn out just right! :)

Yeah I want to be supportive, but I don't have time to read all of his posts. :( I have lots of spare time, but whoa not that much.

All I was able to read was an assload of negativity, which as I said was understandable but also way too one-sided to be reasonable.

I am on board with advertisement, but Jesus H. let's start a new thread for new ideas?

Out of curiousity I calculated how much I paid then versus how much I'm getting back today.

USD (US Dollars) to EUR (Euros) exchange rate for October 12, 2009

Bookmark this page Convert To Result Explain 1 USD EUR 0.67672 EUR 1 USD = 0.67672 EUR on 10/12/2009 100 USD EUR 67.6720 EUR 100 USD = 67.6720 EUR on 10/12/2009 10000 USD EUR 6,767.20 EUR 10,000 USD = 6,767.20 EUR on 10/12/2009 1000000 USD EUR 676,720.47 EUR 1,000,000 USD = 676,720.47 EUR on 10/12/2009

Paid: 484/.67672=$715.21

Will Recieve: 484/.7781=$622

Actually I forgot to add that 715.21 in 2009 was like spending $768.02

Yeah I want to be supportive, but I don't have time to read all of his posts. :( I have lots of spare time, but whoa not that much.

All I was able to read was an assload of negativity, which as I said was understandable but also way too one-sided to be reasonable.

I am on board with advertisement, but Jesus H. let's start a new thread for new ideas?

You could have been supportive to all those people that said they cancelled. Their posts weren't that long. You did say you have lots of spare time after all. Good luck with your new advertisement thread maybe you'll prevent a few cancellations.

It's sad to see someone with the gumption you have go.

Everytime someone comes up with some ideas or a solid opportunity to get some free advertisment out there a couple of the same people line up to piss on those ideas long enough to take the fun out of it and stop the momentum.

Thing is, the way forward is to try to get the Pandora to new customers, same for the ICP2. Trying to peddle product after product (and premium after premium) to the same small group is just going to result in dwindling amounts of money coming in.

I hope you have a change of heart but wish you all the best in any event. I enjoyed your gung ho, can do, motivated posting and although I too didn't think every idea you had was going to result in great results it's always better then the apathic cynical approach of the people who attacked you.

Keep this spirit and you'll turn out just right! :)

Thank you! I understand my ideas are imperfect and would appreciate constructive criticism. Instead the criticism wasn't founded on facts and were just attacks of a foreign idea.

I'm not going to have a change of heart because right below your post is this one.

Aside from your post and a few others the community has shown that the best they can do is ignore the other people stating their cancellation (because no body cares) and attack people providing IDEAS to fix things without providing any real ideas of their own.

i didnt just tell abstract ideas, i tryed to explain with practical suggestion what should be done, like with the websites, preparing a press kit, approaching blogs, not to wait until they may approach, putting together a marketing task force, and so on - just to not let it stand that i would not have suggested things which can really be done.

if you read my posts you will see that i have suggested a lot of practical things, of really practical things! not things like seeling t-shirts to the "fanbase" ; ) : P

I don't think you know what abstract is. Improving the user experience by providing ready to go SD cards and using them to generate cash through donations=direct and practical. Using press kits (which was my idea)=direct and practical. Contest promotion=direct and practical. I mentioned Marvel and DC later which you have a problem with, so you should have improved on the based contest promotion idea instead. T-shirts that generate a small amount of income and are free adds=direct and practical. Banner Sigs for the pandora community to use on other forum sites as "ads"=direct and practical.

Approaching blogs. What does that mean? Approach them with what? Put together a marketting task force. From where? Who funds and mans it? Do you not understand that is exactly what we were just doing? Don't you see that generating additional funds from additional sources helps to fund such taskforces? When the marketting task forces gets together what are they going to decide to do? Can you guess? If they need money where are they going to get it from? Can you guess?

Edit: Like I said at this point, past history and the history shown in this thread one would have to be an idiot not to cancel. There's not been a peep from the people that run this place, or assurance, plan or wtfanything to address the concerns presented. It's clear people are fine losing the original preorders because they won't do a thing to save them. Frankly I feel like an idiot keeping the faith this long and if this is how they continue to run things my suggestion would be to get out while you can.

You could have been supportive to all those people that said they cancelled. Their posts weren't that long. You did say you have lots of spare time after all. Good luck with your new advertisement thread maybe you'll prevent a few cancellations.

This is such a conceptual mismatch...

How do I be supportive to a cancelling customer? "Just hang on, they're working on it..." I was talking about being supportive to you in your ideas to help, but obviously you don't understand that. You don't understand a lot of what I've told you...

I'M not starting an advertisement thread, wtf are you smoking? It's common courtesy (and sense) to put your super special new ideas into a new thread so that you can be heard.

And, yes, Mr. Overgauss, "lots of time" is a relative concept. It's all about frame of reference, if you know what I mean. EDIT: You know, nevermind, you won't understand that either. Sorry I tried to explain things. :/

EDIT:

Edit: Like I said at this point, past history and the history shown in this thread one would have to be an idiot not to cancel. There's not been a peep from the people that run this place, or assurance, plan or wtfanything to address the concerns presented. It's clear people are fine losing the original preorders because they won't do a thing to save them. Frankly I feel like an idiot keeping the faith this long and if this is how they continue to run things my suggestion would be to get out while you can.

Now you are dead wrong. I've pitched in my $500 and an old Pandora for the 1 GHz test run to help the preorders, and I've stated publicly I will support any measure that helps them get their Pandoras first. You are insulting, sir, and an ass. Don't feel like an idiot, feel like an ass.

Management isn't posting a reply here to your every gripe because (read carefully):

They.

Don't.

Have.

Time.

They do their best to reply to everyone, but they don't always see all the posts, they have day jobs BESIDES the Open Pandora, and I imagine (I'm not speaking for them, don't try to imply that I am, these are my opinions) that they don't try to save every cancelling customer because in many cases it's a lost cause. Their time is better invested in new customers who are interested rather than the old customers who are tired of waiting on preorders that are difficult to fulfill. And they are trying to fulfill them, if you've been reading their posts as much as you write.

What will it take for you to grasp that time is not a resource that everyone has so fully as you do?

On the fair side. I think you are dead right that we need more advertisement effort. I will support people that start motivating this, but I myself don't have the know-how or the time to learn about advertising. Personally, I could go posting signs everywhere since I am in LA, but I am sure there are much more effective means of getting the word out. If I see a dedicated thread that concisely describes something I can reasonably do to help, I will.

@overgauss

--------------------

i want to remember the input i gave in the thread `the current situation`, i dont want to rewrite it all here as my hand hurts and needs rest, but in short: rework the website, you have enough interested visitors per day(!, i deduct that from the steady amount of your board-guests), make it more accessible, present the features of the pandora better ((inexpensive & easy) practicable details can be found as said in my previous posts), and so on. alone the website thing could be so important. the decision if someone wants to have something is an emotional one and it is made very quickly.

but off course i am not sure, maybe the website is planned imagewise as it is, and it is the best way for the possible target audience (i mean that seriously, not ironicly).

i wonder why nobody goes down that road, thinking a bit of "how it gets known/seen/presented". Overgauss per example said these were great ideas just to go along his own way again with printing expensive t-shirts for the community in the hope that has an advertising effect as well.. i just dont think that is focused on what can and should be really done, and if, he could start to lead that idea to realization himself, and if only making a pool here, or just opening a thread to see who participates, how the approval rating of the community he wants to sell merchandise is.

my apology for the intrussion, i dont want to keep anyone from printing t-shirts or contacting distributers.

-------

post copied from another post of mine:

http://boards.openpa...or/#entry188915

Batman??? What the hell does op have to do with batman? Space invaders, atari logos, pak ghosts, have relevance and a bit of retro cool about them but batman? Teenage turtles, duckula, danger mouse would be better but still irrelevant. Inspector gadget relevant but pants. The difference between zippy and sooty.

http://www.fustar.in...rs-side-art.jpg

You'll have to go back a few pages to catch up.

Back