That took a while...

Ok so i try to wake up a bit earlyer ,
I have anyway this plan because there is a road block on our street (they make a new surface on the street)

You know the guy sleep 4h a night at best ? You'll wait a lot.

Oh wait... you're waiting for a pyra, nevermind

HUEHUEHUEHUE, but BTW I usually sleep 4 hours anyway (but now I am doing like 2 hours of extra gym/cycle and, at this hours, I am really asleep). So if tomorrow I'm sick, it will be @EvilDragon fault. I can forgive you with a Pyra's discount code :D.

With coating it looks really good. Material flow marks are not visible. Black one looks imho very nice. Like... some retro stuff. It reminds me these old late-80s/early-90s Zenith notebooks whose designers wanted to be as modern as possible and made something with very rounded edges, especially in lid. On the other side I just can't imagine such small hardware as Pyra in rectangular shape of HP Omnibooks (2/5000ct line).

Never thought of it like that, but you are right. One thing I really miss from the late 80s early 90s is how they boldly used bright colorful elements to brand grey, black, beige devices: Speccy, C64, even Apple. Also rounded corners all over the place, big, nasty radiator grills - all the good stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_4287.jpg
    IMG_4287.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
That's quite ridiculous, but lots of photo cameras that claim to make videos can only do so for a few minutes before overheating...
My old nex5n does that as example... I think that the specifications talking only about format size and fps are quite lies when there's not a single line about the fact that it will only do so for some minutes.

Damn...time is running short for me to work the money needed for a Pyra. I want it.
Great video! Quite fast assembly time.
Keep it up.

Video is currently being processed and should be up soon.

I'm heading to bed now. Enjoy the video :)

Great video :), but could you test heat deformation on a case?
It can get really hot in florida, especially if you leave it in a car.

( I who'd never leave my Pyra in a hot car but it's better safe than sorry )
[doublepost=1496287562,1496287485][/doublepost]
Damn...time is running short for me to work the money needed for a Pyra. I want it.
Great video! Quite fast assembly time.
Keep it up.
Better snach one quickly! :eek:

I'm heading to bed now. Enjoy the video :)

Great video - glad to see physical cases and assembly!

I didn't see the heat pad or aluminum heat spreader plate that were rumored to be planned. Have those been nixed?

Didn't you say at one time that you had a bunch of the logo aluminum pieces?

You said you were going to torture the poor blue one with a screwdriver, heat, acid, salt, etc...
Are the different colored cases for the prototype pre-orders or are we all getting the heat distressed black now?

Something that might be entertaining... Since the heat distress marks don't actually cause any structural deficiencies, maybe Form Action could be interested in selling you cases made from the overrun plastics from whatever other project they have going through at a steep discount? I.e. you would get a few dozen cases at random intervals in random colors with heat distress marks that would be sold as 'unique'.

Yeah, I'm still wishing for "glow in the dark". Otherwise clear. Otherwise fire engine red. Otherwise calico (random mixture of different colored pieces).

But I'm really wishing for glow in the dark. The afterglow falloff from being lit with the LEDs would be epic.

I know... greater chance of hitting the moon with a sling shot. Still - I can wish.

Thanks for the video, ED.

Please, please, please don't consider the powder coating. Apple, one of the best manufacturers of portable electronics in the world, made black iPhone 5s that chip and scrape off. The Gameboy SP's metallic powder coating wears off. Please please please, plain polycarbonate is enough, so it feels like gamepad and not like something we have to baby.

Awesome video. Very honest with all the issues in your face. Love this approach.

@Grench he said in the video that aluminum parts will come in another box later.

@101001111
Thats the aluminium part with the pyra logo.
I think the heat sink will be made after the prototyp tests.

Great video. Thanks for fighting with the camera to make it.

Torture those cases! :D As I said earlier, if you do go for that coating, please try to ensure the plastic and the coating are a close match, as some of us will destroy the coating through normal wear and tear.

Even after the joy of watching the assembly video, no blue for me. I am still looking forward to dark grey, dark red, or clear unless I see something that really blows me away.

Thanks again for taking the time to make the video for us.

Back