1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

I wish you could feel things through the internet!

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Letalis Sonus

Letalis Sonus Very Active Member

Maybe the older ones do, I know for sure that the T4x and T60 series simply use reinforced foil cables, ribbon cables are only being used for the backlight due to its low pin count requirement.

2. Grench

Grench Hardcore Member

T60. Note the gigantic flat cable connecting the base to the screen just left of center. You don't normally notice it looking down at the machine on your desk.

[​IMG]
    T400 lid & screen from a previous message above.

3. Letalis Sonus

Letalis Sonus Very Active Member

It's a plastic covered foil cable, if I had a cam at hand I could open up my T60p for you. Here's some random replacement part picture of the whole T60 cable:

[​IMG]

The short part to the left connects to the motherboard, it is being fixed by a small metal plate with a rather sharp edge that tends to damage the cable if you're not careful during disassembly.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  4. Grench

Grench Hardcore Member

Cool - I learned something new.

5. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

I made a quick video explaining the new LCD Cables, as the dummy has arrived:

Link, Pyramancer, rygD and 19 others like this.
  6. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Advanced Member

@EvilDragon That looks very easy to fix if it does go wrong too.

7. Grench

Grench Hardcore Member

Thank you for the video! The solid copper dummy cable looks like it fits well. Do you have an estimates around when will you be receiving production samples?

One concern I have... It looks like the through-hinge portion of this is going to stay relatively static during screen/lid motion. That would mean that the mechanical motions would be carried just after the 90* directional changes. The cable will need slack to bend a bit in those areas instead of gaining slack by the coil roll contracting and enough extension to open the case to the hinge stops. This means that the minimal/maximum length for the cable is going to have less margin for error than the older 3x roll version.

You have probably taken all of that into account. Probably why you're prototyping the cable.

Looking forward to more!

ClockworkCoder likes this.
  8. EvilDragon

Not yet, but the last few times it took only 2 - 3 weeks.

Indeed, it does that :)
    It makes a nice S-Curve near the mainboard when you open the lid. And there's enough space in the case for that.

9. Xcl4m4t10n

Xcl4m4t10n Very Active Member

Will the case arrive tomorrow?

10. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

The only thing that really concerns me looking at that video is having once read a book on material stresses, those sharp corners on the inside of the turns especially to the rolled bit look like kind of a bad idea. The behaviour of stresses explain that corners like that help to concentrate stresses, and is why aeroplane windows have rounded windows after IIRC it was the comet aeroplanes that came down with torn fuselages. If you could spare a few mm to round off those corners and still have it fitting in the case okay, that should be much less likely to start tearing.

TheAnimatedFreak and ò.Ó like this.
  11. EvilDragon

The corners of the final cable will not be that sharp. Additionally, there's no real force where the corners are and there are not many traces there.
    The corner which is most likely to tear does have the ground plane, so nothing will happen if a small tear develops there.

levi and TheAnimatedFreak like this.
  12. fusion_power

fusion_power Advanced Member

Nice visualisation of that solution, could work indeed much better that way. I also noticed those two 90° corners. ^^"" Besides rounding them more, something like that could also work:

Unbenannt-1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    ClockworkCoder, ò.Ó and ible like this.
  13. ò.Ó

ò.Ó Still Fresh

For some reason, that reminds me of swiss cheese...

ubn.jpg

14. TrashyMG

TrashyMG Moderator Staff Member

Poor EvilDragon Swiss cheesed his thumb.

Link, ò.Ó, cinaeco and 3 others like this.
  15. FaeMinx

FaeMinx Rainbow Liberation Instigation

A concern I have:

A cable that is rolled many times through the hinge will have the physical movement of opening and closing the lid dispersed amongst the rolls... so the more rolls, the less overall stress on the cable every time you move the lid.

So I'm concerned that this new cable with no full rolls will actually concentrate the stress in one or two areas much much more with every movement.

Can anyone see what I'm getting at here?

Edit: rolling a piece of paper will stress the whole sheet... but that stress is dispersed over the whole sheet and the stress at any one point is relatively minor.
    Bending a piece of paper will concentrate all that stress along the bend line.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  16. m@t

m@t Still Fresh

So, 1 more year? (TM)

17. CFWhitman

CFWhitman Member

I was thinking the same thing. There is a reason the cables are rolled 3 times.

lulzfish likes this.
  18. EvilDragon

Yes, as mentioned above, the cable now makes a nice S-Curve inside the case, outside of the hinge instead.
    Not much stress applied there as well, as it's not moving THAT much (about 2mm)

19. Willhelm

Willhelm Member

20. Askarus

Askarus Advanced Member

You miss one point.
    You need to get the whole thing including the connector through the small hinge, not only the wires.