That took a while...

Everything seems to be falling into place very nicely.

Loving the video ED. I know you are critical about video quality, but it is more than good enough.
While I still think black is the obvious choice, I would not mind the blue case either.

@EvilDragon, you state about the case that it's not perfect.
Perfection is never really achieved, it is an ideal to drive up quality.
That said, you seem a bit...let's say bothered, perhaps disappointed... when you said that.
What are the flaws and/or areas for improvement that are bothering you?

I think that's about the bottom part which could be thinner but new moulds are needed for that so it's a non issue right now.
Thanks for the video and the effort @Ed! I loved seeing how well thought out the case is in regards to assembly. Maybe in due time a bigger battery compartment or a slimmer case will be choices that can be offered ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for video!
How about heat produced by CPU? What temperature it can go and what is the contact MB<->CPU?

Never thought of it like that, but you are right. One thing I really miss from the late 80s early 90s is how they boldly used bright colorful elements to brand grey, black, beige devices: Speccy, C64, even Apple. Also rounded corners all over the place, big, nasty radiator grills - all the good stuff.

Exactly like my Zenith! There was also Zenith Supersport with external battery pack, also all round corners.

Last edited:
I like the gray one the best. The blue and black one are so dark that the keys will blend in. I prefer a little contrast :)

Thank you so much for the video @EvilDragon. So if the case is finished, what's left? AFAIR the new PCBs with the latest fixes only, am I right?

Thank you so much for the video @EvilDragon. So if the case is finished, what's left? AFAIR the new PCBs with the latest fixes only, am I right?

Basically, yes.
The sealing needs some small change (but that was the first revision of it I got) and the shoulder buttons need a BIT more tolerance to work with all PCBs perfectly (that's just removing 0,2 - 0,3mm plastic though).
That's all for the case :)

And the small aluminium plate for cooling between the CPU and the battery.
That's just a thin plate cut out, with a one week production time or so.

I just needed the final physical case now so I can measure the space between the PCB and the case (to choose the thickness of the aluminium plate).

The most important thing now is that I can assemble more units for devs, as then more can tweak the system and test everything.

@EvilDragon I watch the video. I wish the pyra will turn on at the end. But it didn't happen. Is there anything wrong about the OS or PCB? How about the progress of the OS?

Are the new PCBs on production run now?
IIUC this cannot be. My understanding (which might of course have been wrong -- sorry if it is) was that EvilDragon was waiting on the sample cases so that he could build prototypes, not only that developers would have them for working on the software, but also to accelerate the hardware testing. With the hardware testing incomplete, the revised PCBs cannot be produced yet, surely?

@Xcl4m4t10n - What Pyramancer states is my understanding as well. More hands on these prototypes can hopefully shake out any hidden hardware issues that haven't been seen yet.

@EvilDragon I may have completely missed it, but has the 4GB instability been fixed/identified?

2 months is almost sounding like an actual possibility!
HAHAHAHAHA
At this point I reckon it'll be the end of this year, time has been going way too quick. But I think the developer prototypes might be ready in 2 months!
Also as far as I know, the 4GB instability still exists but the last time someone mentioned it was a few weeks back. I'm sure ED would've stated in this news post itself if it was fixed... Right?

HAHAHAHAHA
At this point I reckon it'll be the end of this year, time has been going way too quick. But I think the developer prototypes might be ready in 2 months!
Also as far as I know, the 4GB instability still exists but the last time someone mentioned it was a few weeks back. I'm sure ED would've stated in this news post itself if it was fixed... Right?

Assuming that developers can replace parts themselves, why not send out prototypes within a couple of weeks?

@EvilDragon I may have completely missed it, but has the 4GB instability been fixed/identified?

2 months is almost sounding like an actual possibility!

My money is still on another 6 months at best. They still have to find all the bugs in the board, then produce the boards which is ~4weeks if I remember correctly. Then assemble. They also don't have all the cases, etc.

Last edited:
Back