Colorful week

GPD Win already said months ago that they will officially support Linux (although it is unclear if they mean "real" Linux or just Android).
And even if it's "real" Linux, is it ongoing support or do they slap together something functional with an old kernel and call it done?

I already ask for clarification (usually by asking for a date), since most people aren't very clear. I say "this" if I mean during the current week, with "last" and "next" to designate the previous and upcoming weeks respectively.

Imagine it's a Friday - how do you refer to the Wednesday just gone? As this Wednesday, because it's still in the current week? Or as last wendesday, as I do? I'm assuming just saying 'Wednesday' is invalid for some reason.

Imagine it's a Friday - how do you refer to the Wednesday just gone? As this Wednesday, because it's still in the current week? Or as last wendesday, as I do? I'm assuming just saying 'Wednesday' is invalid for some reason.
If the wednesday of the current week has already passed, it doesn't make sense to refer to it as "this wednesday" imho and to be on the safe side I say "this weeks wednesday" or "next week on wednesday" even if it has already passed although I'd probably just say "vorgestern" which is a word for "two days ago". English lacks the next step of "gestern / yesterday" which would be "vorgestern" (preyesterday). "The day before yesterday" is terribly convoluted.
We should add the word "preyesterday" to modern English so that it gets a place in the dictionary, just use it as often as possible and there you go.

English lacks the next step of "gestern / yesterday" which would be "vorgestern" (preyesterday).
You're looking for ereyesterday (the day before yesterday) and overmorrow (the day after tomorrow). These words have fallen into disuse however, and are therefore practically incompatible with the zeitgeist of today's English language, at least right now.

You're looking for ereyesterday (the day before yesterday) and overmorrow (the day after tomorrow). These words have fallen into disuse however, and are therefore practically incompatible with the zeitgeist of today's English language, at least right now.
Good to know that the literal translation of übermorgen was actually a thing once.
I'll use ereyesterday (vorgestern) and overmorrow (übermorgen) then.

This is fun. Usually I just say Wednesday, as the context indicates I mean two days prior. Where it might be confusing I say "this last Wednesday", "the other day", or "a couple days ago". Usually one of the last two, unless I really need to specify the day, and if I need to be that precise a date works better. (Then they might not know which month I mean, if giving only a number, or which year, if I give the number and month/season/whatever.)

To make it more clear, let me give a more realistic example:
On Wednesday I wondered if the cases arrived so ED could post pictures.

I can't be talking about the future as if it is the past since I don't know what will be going through my mind in the future, if anything, and I wouldn't be wondering about the outcome of events before everything is set in motion. (Actually, all of that is potentially untrue, however I usually try not to confuse others by discussing temporal placement in ways that they won't understand.)

Part of the fun of using different calendars is that a full date can be given and people still may have no clue when (or what) you are talking about. I just wish I could be fully convinced that time exists. Or doesn't.

English lacks the next step of "gestern / yesterday" which would be "vorgestern" (preyesterday). "The day before yesterday" is terribly convoluted.
I typically say "the other day". "Two days ago" is also simple and makes sense.
[doublepost=1465755090,1465755022][/doublepost]Where are dem pics?!

Anyway, I look at it the way WizardStan described, with the "ends" on either side. Like a piece of string. You can tie the ends together. (You can also tie the ends of a single piece of string together, then crumple it up and go from any point where the string touches to the other point in time it touches, but that works better with a lifetime than a week.)

if people meant it this way, they'd say "weekends", not "weekend", to mean both saturday (one end) and sunday (the other end). what is your weekends' plan? saturday and sunday would both each be a weekend, but not "the weekend" altogether... (since they are separate ends.)

if people meant it this way, they'd say "weekends", not "weekend", to mean both saturday (one end) and sunday (the other end). what is your weekends' plan? saturday and sunday would both each be a weekend, but not "the weekend" altogether... (since they are separate ends.)
That is how it is described here, and how it is depicted on calendars. Sunday, the first day of the week, is on one end of the week, and Saturday the other, often with different coloring than "work days".

Maybe officially, but I don't know a single person or business that treats it that way.
I know many that do. As for businesses, some shorten their hours starting Friday evening here (while others stay open later on Friday and Saturday). What part of the country are you in?

I am on Whidbey Island, Washington right now, but I live in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Bible belt here. Mostly rural areas and small towns in the past, so that may play a part.

That is how it is described here, and how it is depicted on calendars. Sunday, the first day of the week, is on one end of the week, and Saturday the other, often with different coloring than "work days".

i don't think anyone refers to Saturday and Sunday together as "weekends", but for sure not as "the weekends", which would be the logical thing if they thought of the week as having two ends (the beginning and end). since "end" has multiple connotations in english, it neither seems right to say that the beginning of the week is an "end"...

[edit] of course, ED could put these silly discussions to rest with some nice colorful pictures ;)

Was too exhausted this weekend, but will make some pictures today. Only two colors arrived yet though, no idea where the rest is, should hopefully arrive this week?

Nevertheless I'm leaving for Greece sometimes within the next 2 - 3 weeks to finalize everything.

Was too exhausted this weekend, but will make some pictures today. Only two colors arrived yet though, no idea where the rest is, should hopefully arrive this week?

Nevertheless I'm leaving for Greece sometimes within the next 2 - 3 weeks to finalize everything.

ED, How many colors all up did you choose for evaluation?

if you are talking about Saturday and Sunday as the ends of the week shouldnt it grammatically be weeks end? ie the end belongs to the week? weekends is technically the plural of weekend......

Back