Just a quick heads up

Dont worry, my Pandora want get repainted, it will go on my Handheld Collectors Shelf, and i will put its ROM SD Card in the Pyra..
Im quite impressed because its survived that long in my Pants Pocket whit only a bit lost of paint..
The Pyra is meant to be more scratch Resistent, so it want look like the Pandora in 10 Years..

Reactions: rSl
Matty, whatever you do, DO NOT get your Pandora re-painted. The patina of years and years of use and abuse is just beautiful.
I disagree. I think that Pandora looks better when it's not neglected as if it's waste but instead given the proper care that it deserves.

Do you also think that this:
1987-renault-4-f4-13.jpg
looks better than this:
991c875c-eea0-11e4-80c1-3d13ecdd2ffa.jpg
?

Does a queen look at her best when she neglects herself causing her to look like an old pauper? The Pandora is now the queen of portable computing and should be treated as such. Just because the king is about to arrive does not mean that the queen should be neglected.

My father has the same weird opinion in that he thinks that neglect makes things look good. I do not share that opinion at all and I'll probably treat my Pyra like the king of portable computing that it is.

Anyway, when will the first 900 Pyra's have been sent out? Is that known yet?

I have to say I’m not that bother about the look of my Pandora,
I don’t think it’s abuse, it’s just used like i intended it :
Pandora/Pyra are for me Ideal Every Day Carry Handheld, because due to the Emulation I don’t have to carry extra Cartridges and got my whole Retro Games whit me, also it’s a whole Linux Computer, not that fast but enough power for my tasks, maybe a bit Word and Excel, PowerPoint, Twitter, Boards, and maybe ICQ if this still works..
I even carry a Amazon Kindle in my Pocket, I don’t know why but I need to have everything whit me..
Maybe it’s some sort of a tick?

The Pandora was in my Pocket since I got It around 2012 or so, i put it out when I bought the GPD Win, but put it back because the Win dit too many updates for a EDC Handheld although it was cool to have my Windows Games in the Pocket (Farming Simulator whit Unimog and GTA San Andreas) ,
Bevor I bought my first Smartphone it was the Device I used at MC Donald’s to surv the Internet, and I played a lot whit the Pandora when I was out ^^

It’s not a Collector’s Item, I bought to put it on my Shelf but a dayli used Computer

Send from something, i guess ^^

I too prefer the appeal of "factory new", but I get the appeal of patina. As long as it's functioning properly, it adds character, it's unique, it tells a story. You can see it has been used.

That was not a garage queen. It was a daily driver and it shows. It's not meant to display itself, but the owner.
If I ever get to own a classic car, I don't want a pristine specimen, I want one in good shape yet that I won't fear wearing out. These are functional objects : they're built to be used, not to sit around.

If I could solder, I could try to fix my shoulderbutton trigger, and I could maybe send the Pandora to Evildragon to change the Case, but why? I plan to emigrate everything to my Pyra, and put the Pandora on the shelf, whit the lid open, so you can’t see the wear...
it’s just the Color, the Plastik is still physical OK..
Also a reason why I wanted the Pyra is because it’s a Pandora in new..
I will my Pyra also carry that way, but it will not wear this much..

Send from something, i guess ^^

Pandora/Pyra are for me Ideal Every Day Carry Handheld, because due to the Emulation I don’t have to carry extra Cartridges and got my whole Retro Games whit me
And it allows save states, hacking, back-ups of save files and roms, online for some games that normally do not have it, etc. Emulation is often the best way to play games. If it was not for the Pyra then I would have bought a Pandora as well. But as an instance of the Osborne effect I did not buy the Pandora because the Pyra would soon come out. Turns out it was not that soon, but I'm still happy that I waited because that's still the cheapest way to get the best version (always wanting the best version of some product is another effect but I do not remember the name of that).

The Pandora was over five years old by the time the Pyra was available to be pre-pre-ordered at least, and at the time we thought it was only about a year away. By then, parts had already become unavailable as new from the channels, so the only way for you to get a Pandora would have been from the second hand channels (aka ebay), which doesn't help ED (unless you buy repairs off him perhaps), so as far as he's concerned you may as well have waited.

I don't think all emulators on the Pandora support save states. I know some people complain about that for some emulators, but I can't remember which ones. All I know is that I've never got the hang of using save states. I mostly emulate games as god intended.

I don't think all emulators on the Pandora support save states. I know some people complain about that for some emulators, but I can't remember which ones. All I know is that I've never got the hang of using save states. I mostly emulate games as god intended.
Not even NES games? They tend to have a lot of repetition making the player do an easy part of the stage again for dying at a part that's much later into the game. And if you lose all lives you'll have to repeat an even bigger part of the game. Modern games luckily tend to not have this issue but NES games often do and therefore become much more fun once save states are used to retro-actively fix this issue.

The thing about patina is the appreciation of the story and the relationship between man and a tool doing the work necesary to fix things in the universe. If you play guitar, you will know that you can buy or pay someone to make a guitar look like it has been beaten up and played for ages but there is nothing quite like the patina of an aged guitar that has the the cracks and chips and paint peeling off from your playing.
That seems to normally be the argument of why these things are beautiful. But I'll probably never share that opinion. The random damage from use is ugly to me and the story they tell is just "I have been used a lot. The end." which IMO is not a compelling story.

Though I may understand why some people like it. It can make something look more tough and rugged. It can also make something look more antique and mysterious. It can look decent, but it's not my preferred style.

If something's been used a lot, you could probably safely say the owner loved using it. I'm sure you could see that slightly more favourably, even if you don't quite find it compelling.

Yes, save states would probably help my progress in Mega Man I, which is pretty much the only NES game I've spent a lot of time playing. On other systems I mostly play puzzle games and arcade games, and even then I don't tend to use continues.

If something's been used a lot, you could probably safely say the owner loved using it. I'm sure you could see that slightly more favourably, even if you don't quite find it compelling.
If it looks used, then it's safe to say that the owner neglected maintaining it and thus did not care a lot about it.

Anyway, you could buy those old cases from ED. Supposedly they scratch easier which means you'll get the look you want quicker.
Post automatically merged:

On other systems I mostly play puzzle games
What puzzle games?

If it looks used, then it's safe to say that the owner neglected maintaining it and thus did not care a lot about it.

Anyway, you could buy those old cases from ED. Supposedly they scratch easier which means you'll get the look you want quicker.
Post automatically merged:

What puzzle games?
Mainly columns on MD/G, tetris on Gameboy (although mainly supplemented by Heboris more recently), and MrDriller2 on GameBoy Advance.

Oh, and super foul egg on Amiga of course!

wanting the best version of some product is another effect but I do not remember the name of that
my obsession is peak-era products.

doesn't have to be the flagship model but must be super-rare / enviable.

Yes, save states would probably help my progress in Mega Man I, which is pretty much the only NES game I've spent a lot of time playing. On other systems I mostly play puzzle games and arcade games, and even then I don't tend to use continues.
you don't use save states in puzzle games? c'mon!

Back