So, what's the current status of everything?

Other candidates:
Pyrasuses
Pyrates (yarr...)
Pyrus (singular form of Pyra)

More importantly than purals, I think we (the non-dev / non prototype owning plebs) should work on something "productive" , like lore for the Pyra User Manual.

Pyra means FIRE
Well...
Pyra_def.png

• Haha
Reactions: rSl
why aren't y'all coding in preparation for the upcoming release of the pyra? we'll need some fun software/games :).

In excitement about the Pyra, and dismay about the cost of dev boards, I did some hunting for similar-ish enough hardware that should be able to run binaries compiled for the Pyra, and perhaps vice versa.
Turns out the early version of the RPI2 is Armv-7A. And later versions are Armv-8a, but if you were careful about compilation flags to make sure you didn't include Armv-8a opcodes, it should be possible to compile biniaries on a Raspberry Pi that at a basic level should run on the Pyra. Especially if you are careful about libc and other library versions and you're running the RPI in aarch32 ARMv-7A compatibility mode.

Yes yes, I know. No RPI has a big little configuration. So it'd be hard to make and test software that tries to take advantage of the m4 cores. And the video core is pretty different.

The BeagleBoard X15 would be even closer, but it also costs over $250, which puts it much closer to the Omap dev board pricing than a Raspberry Pi.

Basically, the idea is that either using existing ports for the rpi as a start, or porting software to the rpi could in theory get one close to something that will work on the Pyra.
In my amateur porting attempts for the Pandora, I have found plenty of projects in c and c++ that don't compile well for an Arm target. And a RPI would in theory let you test basic NEON functionality.

On a different note, years ago I was able to run Raspbian for the RPI 1 in a chroot on a Pandora, which was cool to see. So there's at least a level of compatibility there as well.

--------
Also forgot to mention that since the Pyra OS is using Debian as a base, that should make a bunch of software and at least some games available right from the start. It might not be optimized for the Pyra, but it'd be a start.

If it is an outdated spelling of the Portuguese word pira (plural ?pyras) it can mean:
  1. pyre (heap on which corpses are burned)
  2. (slang) thingamajig, gizmo, thingy (something whose name is unknown)
  3. (Brazil, slang) a proposition, suggestion or theory considered absurd or rather unlikely
I quite like the idea behind number two, but I don't want it to get the same curse as the Gizmodo :p

Anyway, would that be bad from a marketing standpoint to release a "Pyra" while Australia is burning ?

Ok, so here's the status of everything:

Brexit in one week
Pyra in two months
James Webb Telescope gets launched next year
We'll have fusion power in 30 years
Berlin airport starts operating soon

If we assume that Pyra comes from the Greek mythology Pyrrha which was the daughter of Pandora (she was a redhead by some sources), Πύρρα in Greek that would be Πύρρες in the plural form. Πυρά which means fire has only singular form in Greek and Πύρα which means heat and can be used as excitement. Η πύρα της αγάπης: The excitement of love.
On other news: what is the current status of everything?

Wasn’t it so that the Case Production was meant to be in January 2020, so there should be some updates soon on the Massproduktion Side??

Or had Evildragon just not the time to post??

Instead of the quest for a Pyra Plural, which is „Many“ in think it’s first a bit more important to have more then a few Pyra..

I've already made by best guess why the production of the first run of cases for new Pyry gets pushed forward to mid Feb. And I've not noticed much news on the pyra kernel mailing list to be honest, although perhaps discussion has moved from kernel stuff to userland stuff, which might count things like battery charging.

In my Timezone, whe have the 24.th January, so February isn’t that long away...
So January or February, at the end it’s just a few Weeks..

If it where the past, I would join your plural discussion whit my Shiny new Blue 4G4GB Pyra Pree Pree Order Edition NR 28, and don’t ask for an Update on the Massproduktion ^^

Back