Release PCSX ReARMed, with a new GPU

doh ... "Emulator/Gun" ... of course. I always read it as "Emulator-Gun" as in "gun for the emulator" and so didn't search in there. Thanks.

i know pcsx and fpse are completely different emulator / projects, but there is some recent very interesting development on (what I consider to be the best android PSX emulator)

OpenGL rendering, not sure if it's of any use here... but it simply completely changed the experience on android devices... see posted thread below.

http://www.fpsece.net/forum2/viewtopic.php?p=24904#p24904

any other questions feel free to refer to that thread

i know pcsx and fpse are completely different emulator / projects, but there is some recent very interesting development on (what I consider to be the best android PSX emulator)

OpenGL rendering, not sure if it's of any use here... but it simply completely changed the experience on android devices... see posted thread below.
Actually that GLES code is based on the same source as GLES plugin on pandora, i.e. Pete's/Peops code, he did conform GPL so I'll see what was changed there.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's an odd bug with 007-Racing where the movies and in game sound plays fine, but just prior to starting missions there should be some "briefing" as the camera pans around the starting area of the mission. This intro monologue to each mission is cut off somehow (happens on all copies, I've tried several). It's not a major issue, but does detract a little as I want to hear the evil maniac taunt me before starting mission two! The strangest thing is that the very end of whatever the person is saying is played for the briefest moment as soon as you hit the button and start each mission, and in mission two the evil git still manages to taunt me and laugh as my car blows up at the end of the mission so it is obviously able to play the audio.

Hope it's something simple that can be looked into and fixed for a future release, I miss evil cackling and being told what to do.

ok I did a quick merge of schtruck's fpse changes and it seems to help stability - it no longer crashes the whole system at least. Here is a quick test build:

http://notaz.gp2x.de...12-g7a02f78.pnd

performace isn't much better (if it changed at all), I see no improvements with game glitching too.

I don't know if it's worth putting any more effort to this, perhaps at least frameskip could be added (it currently doesn't work on GL ES plugin). There are various options in this plugin too that could be put into menu. I don't think I want to do anything else with it as in my opinion this needs total rewrite to be really useful.

I've noticed that this page about Notaz on the main site does not contain any information about PCSX ReARMed, maybe that could be added next to PicoDrive? I think the project is quite as important as PicoDrive and lots of people seem to like it!

Darkknight512: I'd have the reflex to ask you what files you have for your game. That game probably uses CD Audio for music.

I've noticed that this page about Notaz on the main site does not contain any information about PCSX ReARMed, maybe that could be added next to PicoDrive? I think the project is quite as important as PicoDrive and lots of people seem to like it!

Darkknight512: I'd have the reflex to ask you what files you have for your game. That game probably uses CD Audio for music.

It was ripped to ISO then compressed to CBN.

Final Fantasy VII (NTSC, bin) doesn't seem to work with this version. Tried HLE and BIOS, 600MHz with various GPU plugins but the results are all the same: the game will play until the main menu - the "continue" "new game" one. When I click new game, the screen goes black and stays that way.

Any help would be appreciated if this hasn't been asked and answered before.

Final Fantasy VII (NTSC, bin) doesn't seem to work with this version. Tried HLE and BIOS, 600MHz with various GPU plugins but the results are all the same: the game will play until the main menu - the "continue" "new game" one. When I click new game, the screen goes black and stays that way.

Any help would be appreciated if this hasn't been asked and answered before.

Try ripping the image again, it runs fine for me and everyone else as far as I know.

Yes I can confirm the PAL version works with r13. I'm currently 30 hours in and all is well.

Great work Notaz and Exophase BTW. I salute your skills and tenacity!

I remember playing that on the old PS1 many many years ago, I spent so much time grinding up

my levels by the time I got to the end game I had a sword that was twice the size of the charactor

and I swung it about 3 or 4 times, game finished :)

Using something like OpenGL ES 2 to emulate the PS1 GPU sounds like a fun project, but getting it accurate enough would be an absolute nightmare. You wouldn't think so since PS1 GPU's so primitive, but some little things get you.

If someone ever did try something like that it'd be nice if there was at least an option to try to get it to mimic PS1 hardware to some extent, so you get higher resolution rendering through a larger virtual VRAM. And any texture filtering is optional, because that can really mess things up. Something like FSAA instead would be nicer, although I don't know how much the Pandora hardware could really take.

Another side of it is that there could be a lot of CPU-side overhead for some things, way more than you'd expect. To the point where some games may even be slower than with the soft GPU.

(and sorry, no, I haven't seen Tinnus in ages)

ok I did a quick merge of schtruck's fpse changes and it seems to help stability - it no longer crashes the whole system at least. Here is a quick test build:

performace isn't much better (if it changed at all), I see no improvements with game glitching too.

Hm, how does this work?

I changed the plugin to gpuGLES.so, saved the config, resetted the game, but everything still looks like the normal plugin. No Hires, no glitches, no crashes, etc.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

One thing my mind keeps going back to is the unfinished work Tinnus was doing for PSX4all, many many moons ago.

http://img98.imagesh...gleshot5sp5.png

http://img411.images...gleshot6xu8.png

http://img299.images...gleshot7qi0.png

What are the chances of seeing rendering like this one day? Is anyone in contact with Tinnus these days?

I hate to sound like I'm asking for even more cake. I played some GT2 last night and it was wonderful.

the fpse emulator with the openGL you get those kinda graphics... that's what I was talking about and wanted to share it... but you do pay for it... it brings my tegra 2 dual core to it's knees at times... can still hit the 60fps mark with no O/C but most of the time it sits 40-50fps and sometimes dips into the 30s depending on game and how much is going on... looks sweet as hell when it's running smooth though. No frameskip either...

if and I know that's a big if.... but if you guys do decide to work on it maybe you can share your work with schtruck, maybe even work with him, help both ecosystems out. I know there's a language barrier there but he's a really nice guy, answers questions quick and politely, really sharp fellow too.

Hm, how does this work?

I changed the plugin to gpuGLES.so, saved the config, resetted the game, but everything still looks like the normal plugin. No Hires, no glitches, no crashes, etc.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?
resetting doesnmt work. You have to reload the iso! :)

Another feature request it seems!

the fpse emulator with the openGL you get those kinda graphics... that's what I was talking about and wanted to share it... but you do pay for it... it brings my tegra 2 dual core to it's knees at times...
Ah, totally missed all of that!

I just tried the test PND. GT2 looked very smooth and impressive, but lots of glitches in the 2D stuff - menus not displaying etc. And a considerable performance hit.

@Exophase - thanks for the insights.

if and I know that's a big if.... but if you guys do decide to work on it maybe you can share your work with schtruck, maybe even work with him, help both ecosystems out. I know there's a language barrier there but he's a really nice guy, answers questions quick and politely, really sharp fellow too.

Licenses are probably a bigger barrier. He can't use our code if he doesn't GPL his stuff and we need him to GPL anything he'd let us use which could be problematic as well. Of course, I could be totally lacking in understanding of the current situation.

Out of curiosity, does the mobile FPSE play those games full speed with its software renderer, without frameskip? Or is there no software renderer?

Back