Release PCSX ReARMed, with a new GPU

How do i set to play games hi-res.

You have to select the gpuGLES plugin, unfortunately it renders pretty much any game unplayable (speed wise) but sweet jesus does it make them look absolutely beautiful (at least the ones iv'e tried) tried Wipeout 3 special edition recently with it & was astonished by how much better it looked, maybe just maybe.. one day

Might be worth mentioning you have to save the config for that game after changing the GPU plugin, then restart the emulator. Actually, it works well for some games - GTA is a nice example (though I OC it a little, it runs lovely and looks fantastic). Tomb Raider also seemed playable to me. What a pity it makes "Driver 2" too slow, the GFX in that are nasty and rugged even with the default smoothing filter (which doesn't slow things down - except for some reason on 007 - racing, which I don't think should be the case).
Ok yes i can huge difference and looks fantastic on wipeout 3.

Is it good to overclock if the games are running slow and some games do flicker,does the hi-res work on every game.

The gles plugin is not too stable and graphical glitches can occur.

The gles plugin is not too stable and graphical glitches can occur.

It looks AWESOME on Wipeout but is slower than the other drivers. On games like Hot Shots Golf it has some graphical errors, so I think each game will have a different level of success.

How do i set to play games hi-res.

You have to select the gpuGLES plugin, unfortunately it renders pretty much any game unplayable (speed wise) but sweet jesus does it make them look absolutely beautiful (at least the ones iv'e tried) tried Wipeout 3 special edition recently with it & was astonished by how much better it looked, maybe just maybe.. one day

Might be worth mentioning you have to save the config for that game after changing the GPU plugin, then restart the emulator. Actually, it works well for some games - GTA is a nice example (though I OC it a little, it runs lovely and looks fantastic). Tomb Raider also seemed playable to me. What a pity it makes "Driver 2" too slow, the GFX in that are nasty and rugged even with the default smoothing filter (which doesn't slow things down - except for some reason on 007 - racing, which I don't think should be the case).
Ok yes i can huge difference and looks fantastic on wipeout 3.

Is it good to overclock if the games are running slow and some games do flicker,does the hi-res work on every game.

I don't normally use the GLES plug-in but I just tried Wipeout 3 and have to agree it looks stunning.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest most games are running really slow or they show graphics gliches.

It's very few games work with this plugin.

If only the games worked normal,we would have hi-res graphics,in games like ridge racer type 4 and tekken 3 look amazing but are unplayable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just been playing with the GLES plugin and the gfx look stunning.

Has anyone had any success with it? Most titles I´ve tried crash which is frustrating.

Can i suggest that we get a GLES compatibility list going: games that run at playable speeds (with overclocking) with little or no graphical glitches.

Any chance of screenshots for those of us who don't have the chops to set all this up right now? I'd love to see the differences with Wipeout ..

I looked at the OGL ES plugin a bit and it isn't surprising that its performance is very poor. It's basically doing a draw call for every triangle or quad, which will result in tens of thousands per second for a typical game. That's never going to perform well. Note that this is largely because it is based on old code meant for OGL 1.x, with triangles drawn using "immediate mode".. the way graphics are done has changed a lot since then.

Getting fast and reasonably correct (forget perfection) emulation with hardware acceleration/enhancement is challenging mainly due to two things: supporting PS1's texture formats and supporting reading back previously rendered-to VRAM as a texture for a later primitive. The texture format problem is usually solved by converting all PS1 textures to some standard format like 15bpp RGB. This requires a lot of careful tracking because the same texture data in VRAM can result in different textures if different palettes are used. So you have to match palettes with texture regions (which are defined by triangles) and cache every new combination that's used. Uploading new textures is expensive and this can end up using a lot more memory than the PS1's textures did.

The other problem is harder. You have to be able to merge the emulated display - which is a different format from the emulated VRAM, or at least that's the main point of using hardware, to enhance the original - with the original display. Reading back the screen output is very expensive. And since this happens a triangle at a time it can be expensive to determine exactly which parts to update. Usually games will render an entire large rectangular region (in the backbuffer in VRAM), but not always. Sometimes they will render "off the screen." Emulators like peops OGL1 handled this through a complex set of checks, heuristics, and hacks, and invoked software rendering over trying to get back the rendered display. But these old emulation techniques didn't have access to a lot of more advanced features like render to texture.

There may be other solutions possible with more complex caching strategies or utilizing fragment shading more to emulate things. But Pandora doesn't have a lot of fragment shading capability so who knows how much you can get on them..

i still wonna know where you people see flaws in ps1 emulation on pandora...

Back