Release Mupen64Plus new version runs Zelda OOT and much more !!

Could someone check Conkers Bad Fur Day with the latest version? The microcode required for it was added into gles2n64 as can be seen here http://code.google.com/p/gles2n64/source/detail?r=21, but I haven't seen any reports of how well it works.

Fresh download from openhandhelds "mupen-0.pnd" (naming conventions are good). Conquers starts and you can here sounds but it is far from "Rendered". Mostly you see the particle effects and character polygons all disconnected. Also theres a strange square in the upper left hand corner at times that might be an off screen buffer that has made it on the screen. So...not playable.

Could someone check Conkers Bad Fur Day with the latest version? The microcode required for it was added into gles2n64 as can be seen here http://code.google.com/p/gles2n64/source/detail?r=21, but I haven't seen any reports of how well it works.

Fresh download from openhandhelds "mupen-0.pnd" (naming conventions are good). Conquers starts and you can here sounds but it is far from "Rendered". Mostly you see the particle effects and character polygons all disconnected. Also theres a strange square in the upper left hand corner at times that might be an off screen buffer that has made it on the screen. So...not playable.

Thanks for trying it out. This behavior sounds similar to how it was previously when the wrong ucode is selected. It looks like the CRC for the Conkers BFD ucode was added to the detection routine, but it may not be selected properly. (See Here) I'll have to investigate this further once I get my Pandora.

This is the first time I tried Mupen. I have two huge issues. In the options screen to set database path and plugins I cannot see the apply button at the bottom because the window is too large. Also I have noticed while mupen is open my nubs dont work at all. Once I quit Mupen the nubs work again. Thanks!
Window size is an issue you'll come across throughout XFCE, as many settings dialogues are designed for minimum 800x600 resolution. You can move them by holding left shoulder, grabbing the window anywhere with the stylus and dragging.

The nub thing is "a feature not a bug". Mupen puts the right nub into game mode on launch, so it won't work as a mouse. The general consensus is that this shouldn't happen until a ROM is launched. Hopefully this is fixed in an update.

I played Zelda at 900 mhz and its slow, you are saying 99% of fullspeed. I am saying more like 60% speed at its best.

Experiment with settings (overclocking/OPP, gles2n64 settings, even different rom versions.) Nothing is running 100% but many things are close, I'd put OOT at (an albeit glitchy) 80%+. But these percentage figures are all very subjective! It didn't run very fast on the N64 either.

I played Zelda at 900 mhz and its slow, you are saying 99% of fullspeed. I am saying more like 60% speed at its best.

As I said it depends on what sacrifices you will make for speed. I lowered my window width to 640. Yes it means I have black bars but the emulator isn't trying to do that funny rendering mode.

If you don't want to do that then enable the frame buffer and set it to 400 x 240.

Remember the N64 had a few different resolutions depending on the game, but it was usually 320 x 240, with the lowest res games being 286 x 220. Hi res was 640 x 480 (Rogue Squadron with expansion pak). Zelda OoT was 320 x 240.

For maximum performance at native resolution try the following in your gles2n64 plugin.

#gles2n64 Graphics Plugin for N64

#by Orkin / glN64 developers and Adventus.

config version=1

#These values are the physical pixel dimensions of

#your screen. They are only used for centering the

#window.

screen width=800

screen height=480

#The Window position and dimensions specify how and

#where the games will appear on the screen. Enabling

#Centre will ensure that the window is centered

#within the screen (overriding xpos/ypos).

window enable x11=1

window fullscreen=1

window centre=1

window xpos=0

window ypos=0

window width=640

window height=480

#Enabling offscreen frambuffering allows the resulting

#image to be upscaled to the window dimensions. The

#framebuffer dimensions specify the resolution which

#gles2n64 will render to.

framebuffer enable=1

framebuffer bilinear=0

framebuffer width=320

framebuffer height=240

#Frameskipping allows more CPU time be spent on other

#tasks than GPU emulation, but at the cost of a lower

#framerate.

frame render rate=1

#Vertical Sync Divider (0=No VSYNC, 1=60Hz, 2=30Hz, etc)

vertical sync=0

#These options enable different rendering paths, they

#can relieve pressure on the GPU / CPU.

enable fog=0

enable primitive z=1

enable lighting=1

enable alpha test=1

enable clipping=0

enable face culling=1

#Texture Bit Depth (0=force 16bit, 1=either 16/32bit, 2=force 32bit)

texture depth=1

texture mipmap=0

texture 2xSAI=0

texture force bilinear=0

texture max anisotropy=0

#

update mode=1

ignore offscreen rendering=0

force screen clear=0

use IA textures=0

Be warned though there will be jaggies and a black bars on each side.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the first time I tried Mupen. I have two huge issues. In the options screen to set database path and plugins I cannot see the apply button at the bottom because the window is too large. Also I have noticed while mupen is open my nubs dont work at all. Once I quit Mupen the nubs work again. Thanks!

To move the buttons into view, use the left shoulder button and drag the window upwards with the stylus.

The nubs are switched to N64 mode when Mupen is run, this allows you to use the analog controls, but disables the nub-mouse unfortunately.

Edit: Bah, didn't look at the date of your post - sorry to drag you back in here again :)

D.

Last edited by a moderator:

As I said it depends on what sacrifices you will make for speed. I lowered my window width to 640. Yes it means I have black bars but the emulator isn't trying to do that funny rendering mode.

If you don't want to do that then enable the frame buffer and set it to 400 x 240.

Remember the N64 had a few different resolutions depending on the game, but it was usually 320 x 240, with the lowest res games being 286 x 220. Hi res was 640 x 480 (Rogue Squadron with expansion pak). Zelda OoT was 320 x 240.

For maximum performance at native resolution try the following in your gles2n64 plugin.

#gles2n64 Graphics Plugin for N64

#by Orkin / glN64 developers and Adventus.

config version=1

#These values are the physical pixel dimensions of

#your screen. They are only used for centering the

#window.

screen width=800

screen height=480

#The Window position and dimensions specify how and

#where the games will appear on the screen. Enabling

#Centre will ensure that the window is centered

#within the screen (overriding xpos/ypos).

window enable x11=1

window fullscreen=1

window centre=1

window xpos=0

window ypos=0

window width=640

window height=480

#Enabling offscreen frambuffering allows the resulting

#image to be upscaled to the window dimensions. The

#framebuffer dimensions specify the resolution which

#gles2n64 will render to.

framebuffer enable=1

framebuffer bilinear=0

framebuffer width=320

framebuffer height=240

#Frameskipping allows more CPU time be spent on other

#tasks than GPU emulation, but at the cost of a lower

#framerate.

frame render rate=1

#Vertical Sync Divider (0=No VSYNC, 1=60Hz, 2=30Hz, etc)

vertical sync=0

#These options enable different rendering paths, they

#can relieve pressure on the GPU / CPU.

enable fog=0

enable primitive z=1

enable lighting=1

enable alpha test=0

enable clipping=0

enable face culling=1

#Texture Bit Depth (0=force 16bit, 1=either 16/32bit, 2=force 32bit)

texture depth=1

texture mipmap=0

texture 2xSAI=0

texture force bilinear=0

texture max anisotropy=0

#

update mode=1

ignore offscreen rendering=0

force screen clear=0

use IA textures=0

Be warned though there will be jaggies and a black bars on each side.

I tried your config, and it works decently well...I can't really tell how much slower than normal it's running though. Without frameskip, the whole thing just slows down, right?

I tried your config, and it works decently well...I can't really tell how much slower than normal it's running though. Without frameskip, the whole thing just slows down, right?

With those settings it is frameskip 0. So you it shows every frame changing frame render rate to 2 will increase the speed but make it jerky.

also I realised a mistake enable alpha test=0 needs changing to enable alpha test=1. Or Mario Kart chars look wrong.

Sure although it's not entirely straight-forward...

Options>Input Settings

scroll down to the bottom of the text file and you will see

Code:
CALIB_LEFT[0]=0.50000

CALIB_LEFT[1]=0.50000

CALIB_LEFT[2]=0.10000

CALIB_LEFT[3]=0.10000

I have been experimenting with values and I'm currently on:

Code:
CALIB_LEFT[0]=0.70000

CALIB_LEFT[1]=0.70000

CALIB_LEFT[2]=0.30000

CALIB_LEFT[3]=0.30000

This is working alright but I'm still trying to tweak it to get a nice range.

Thank you for the how-to. Although those values never worked for me, I found it to work much better to set all four values at .30000 and lower it if some game (like Banjo-Tooie, theoretically) requires particularly slow movement.

For those with problems exiting the emulator, the old ALT+F4 combination works perfect. Have in mind that to input F4 you have to use the FN key, so it's a bit tricky and you'll need to press 3 keys instead of 2. Pandora twister!

I've been loving OoT. It's running really great at 950MHz for me (between 80-100% with frameskip=2). Only snag I've hit so far is a crash when trying to enter the chief's room in the Goron village. Anyone manage to get past this part?

can we get some videos of the newest in action games? even if the game doesnt play that well it would be cool to see for those of us waiting for our pandoras.

I've seen mention of a graphics plugin (gles2n64?) that sounds important. Does the most recent iteration of Mupen come with this plugin as part of the pnd or does the plugin need to be installed separately? And how do you install plugins on the Pandora?

plugins are just included within the PND.

You could place a plugin in the correct place in the appdata folder for mupen... but it's unneeded for general use. More useful if you are developing a plugin and need to test your changes.

plugins are just included within the PND.

You could place a plugin in the correct place in the appdata folder for mupen... but it's unneeded for general use. More useful if you are developing a plugin and need to test your changes.

That helps - thank you!

You can usually find a good sound plugin the wall unless the receptacle is borked.

HAHA, I have a stupid sense of humor and not enough shame to hide it.

Anyway, glad to see how far Mupen has come. I never really expected the emu to be this far along in a year. So great props to the Devs, just waiting for my chance to take it for a spin. Now I actually have to start thinking about what N64 games I missed and still want to play, as I didn't keep my console for long.

For those with problems exiting the emulator, the old ALT+F4 combination works perfect. Have in mind that to input F4 you have to use the FN key, so it's a bit tricky and you'll need to press 3 keys instead of 2. Pandora twister!
In the input settings I've change exit emulator to

Code:
EXIT EMULATOR=KBOARD Q
to quit using the Q key. A much better choice I think as it doesn't bring up the menu every time you quit.

I've been loving OoT. It's running really great at 950MHz for me (between 80-100% with frameskip=2). Only snag I've hit so far is a crash when trying to enter the chief's room in the Goron village. Anyone manage to get past this part?
I don't know if it's just me but every time I press start to enter the menu it takes a few seconds to load. I wouldn't want to play the water temple like that where you're constantly equipping the iron boots. Although I'm only playing Zelda as a test, I'm waiting for the 3DS version really to play through it yet again.

Back