Release Battle For Wesnoth

EvilDragon said:
When did you download the OS HotFix 3 image?
The version that had been released had older boost libraries and Wesnoth didn't work.
Fixed that and reupped the image a few days ago.

OS Hotfix 3 was downloaded on the 07/07/2010 would this have been the fixed image?

Last edited by a moderator:
millerkid said:
EvilDragon said:
The version that had been released had older boost libraries and Wesnoth didn't work.

OS Hotfix 3 was downloaded on the 07/07/2010 would this have been the fixed image?

No, I guess that was still the old one...

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
millerkid said:
EvilDragon said:

Ok thanks I'll let you know how I get on, have to finish work before I can give it a try.

millerkid said:
EvilDragon said:
millerkid said:
EvilDragon said:

Ok thanks I'll let you know how I get on, have to finish work before I can give it a try.
Worked like a charm, many thanks for the help

Man I love this game :) I didnt know it but now its my daily game to play in train (and at home) I like how it is really tactical and strategical

Bosbeetle said:
Man I love this game :) I didnt know it but now its my daily game to play in train (and at home) I like how it is really tactical and strategical

Heh - now you know why I was always mentioning it in interviews, etc.
It really fits perfect on the Pandora :D

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Bosbeetle said:

Definetly I was playing it with mouse but my nub borked, now I play it with touchsrcreen and its much beter actually. Navigation is smooth in the upper overview map. It also has a lot of replay value, I restarted a whole scenario because at one campaign I could get further. Turns out I need more high level units. And replaying levels makes me more and more aware of how strategic this game is :)

big thumbs up for this game

Bosbeetle said:
Definetly I was playing it with mouse but my nub borked, now I play it with touchsrcreen and its much beter actually. Navigation is smooth in the upper overview map. It also has a lot of replay value, I restarted a whole scenario because at one campaign I could get further. Turns out I need more high level units. And replaying levels makes me more and more aware of how strategic this game is :)

Oh, I use the DPad for navigation and the stylus to play. Looove it :)
I also love that we have a story, not just simple battle maps to play :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Bosbeetle said:

Oh, I use the DPad for navigation and the stylus to play. Looove it :)
I also love that we have a story, not just simple battle maps to play :)

I think I am spoiled and still live in single player land :eek: how would this work without story :p

EvilDragon said:

I could tell they were a perfect fit from the first video I saw of Wesnoth running on the Pandora. I wasn't sure about ordering, but I saw it running beautifully I ordered a few minutes later.

I vowed not to play it until it would be on the Pandora. Hopefully that day will come soon.

Bosbeetle said:
What was changed in the 1.8.3-2 version? I haven't tried it yet.
Read the rest of the post, and you see it:
Ivanovic said:
Okay, I packaged a new version. The only change is that I recompiled the binary with some architecture specific optimizations. Instead of using -O3 -DNDEBUG, I have now recompiled using -O3 -DNDEBUG -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -ftree-vectorize -mfloat-abi=softfp -ffast-math -fsingle-precision-constant. Due to the changed flags the game might be less stable. If you notice any such problems, please post about them in here. If it is reasonable stable I'll ask ED to upload this version to openhandhelds.org. If someone has access to apps.openpandora.org, feel free to upload it there, too. Personally I don't care too much where the binary is uploaded to, but won't bother uploading it myself to 500 different places, since the 300MB upload takes some ages...

If you want to check if your download is likely to be identical to what I uploaded, here is the md5sum:
d1143497c3f7bff15e2877f6da0d5ee2 wesnoth-1.8.3-2.pnd

And now, the download link: Download wesnoth-1.8.3-2.pnd

Bosbeetle said:
hmm lost all my savegames by putting the pnd on my pandora. guess i'll have to make an even better army now :)
Okay, this sounds really interesting. Should not have happened if you were using the 1.8.3-1 release before. If you were using 1.6.x: yeah, this is normal since two different stable series (eg 1.6.x and 1.8.x) are not compatible with each other anyway.

If you used 1.8.3-1 before, check the appdata folder for the existing save stuff and if you can easily copy it over. The folder with the saves should be called wesnoth-1.8.

my previous one was probably the 1.6 branch I now have an empty wesnoth-1.8 folder and a wesnoth.cpajuste folder. I deleted the westnoth.pnd so I guess thats the old one. However I cannot find savegames anywhere didnt it save the 1.6 saves somewhere?

(I am not entirly sure wether I used 1.6 or 1.8 before)

Ivanovic said:
Bosbeetle said:
hmm lost all my savegames by putting the pnd on my pandora. guess i'll have to make an even better army now :)
Okay, this sounds really interesting. Should not have happened if you were using the 1.8.3-1 release before. If you were using 1.6.x: yeah, this is normal since two different stable series (eg 1.6.x and 1.8.x) are not compatible with each other anyway.

If you used 1.8.3-1 before, check the appdata folder for the existing save stuff and if you can easily copy it over. The folder with the saves should be called wesnoth-1.8.

I'm not so sure now that cpas's was actually 1.6.2. When I copied the appdata directory before testing your first 1.8.3 version, (in case I found some bug that made me switch back) it had a 1.8 folder in it. o_O Maybe cpas mislabeled it when he made the PND.

-God Ginrai

Okay, Wesnoth 1.8.4 is ready now. This is a bugfix release for the stable 1.8.x series. For a list of changes, have a look at the changelog. Beside the changes mentioned in there, I also added some pandora specific stuff:

If there is no preferences file yet, one will be generated with some "pandora optimized settings". This means that eg scrolling at the touch screen borders is deactivated since this often led to some unwanted scrolling when hitting "end turn". A list of changes due to the new config file (all of them are of course accessible via the ingame preferences!):
* Don't scroll using the screen edges. To scroll you now either have to use the dpad or (Hotfix4 and later only!) hold down the right stick (aka "middle click") and move the left stick around to change the displayed area.
* Don't continue scrolling when leaving the window. Not really relevant on the pandora since you are mainly in fullscreen anyway, but you know...
* Use software mouse cursors since they look better than the default X11 cursor.
* Show a "it's your turn" message at the start of your turn (IMO especially useful for multiplayer gaming using one pandora...).
* Default to 800x480 when using windowed mode. This makes it a little easier to move around the window when in windowed mode. Sadly a solution lower than 800x480 is not really working nicely for Wesnoth and thus not supported.

Currently the pnd is available right at sourceforge.net. You can continue using savegames, add-ons, replays and whatnot. To profit from the "pandora specific changes" you should either remove the file pandora/wesnoth-1.8/userdata/preferences from the sdcard on which you got Wesnoth, or you should do those changes by going through the ingame preferences.

Download Wesnoth 1.8.4-1

Nice I will try it when I get a pandora back. I did find scrolling with the dpad very comfortable (thanks ED for mentioning it before I was doing it with a nub in mouse mode)

Got some news regarding the 1.9.x development series of Wesnoth:

The bad news:
There won't be a build of 1.9.0. In this version Wesnoth simply uses too much memory, it is not possible to even start the easiest (WML wise) campaign, because too much RAM is required to create the cache.

The good news:
It looks like trunk got a whole lot better regarding memory usage, so 1.9.1 will most likely get a pnd. For this one I will change several default preferences:
* set sound buffer to 2048 to reduce crackling; still happens every now and then but not this often
* turn off animated map; was no problem in 1.8, but in 1.9 too much is animated which makes the game crawl when eg looking at some watery area, scrolling over it is (currently) hell (can of course be reactivated via the preferences)
* turn on "local time of the day"; this feature is new in 1.9 and by default turned off since the memory impact is not known, looks nice though so it will be active in the pandora build

Some advance warning already:
* It will not be possible to use the 1.8.x savegames with 1.9.x, they are simply not compatible (aka "a whole lot changed and better safe than sorry", you could copy them over by hand, but they might not work).
* Initial gamestart is a whole lot faster, but starting a match/campaign will take a little longer, especially when there is no cache available yet (first time starting a campaign on a specific difficulty level or after downloading an add-on).
* The download will get even bigger...

Back