Gp2x Community Game Contest Only 3 Days Left!

Guyfawkes posted on Dec 13 2006 at 12:48 PM said:
Is Laser2x a port or remake as i thought ports were not allowed? Either way the game looks good, it will be first on my SD card to check out :)

Edit - You can find some more screenshots and a older WIP video of Squares at http://www.emuboards.com/guyfawkes/squares.htm
No, it is not a port. The original Laser is a VB Game and I'm a JAVA Programmer :) The game is a complete rewrite from scratch using JAVA as I wanted to test, how well JAVA performs on the GP2x.

Your games always have a _very_ polished look and feel to them, impressive!
I'm not so sure though, how well Square will play without a mouse? Isn't it a little hard to control using just the stick?

Last edited by a moderator:
All the beta testers used the joystick and I didn't get any complaints, it will be a bit more trickier than by mouse but I have added in alternative speed buttons and the game is a bit less manic than the original flash game to reflect the joystick use.

after the compo release I hope to work some more on the game and get maybe 4 players on USB joysticks amongst many other things, I had this kinda implemented (3 player mode) but at the last moment had to remove this as the usb joystick code caused some problems... damn deadlines!

Guyfawkes posted on Dec 13 2006 at 01:08 PM said:
All the beta testers used the joystick and I didn't get any complaints, it will be a bit more trickier than by mouse but I have added in alternative speed buttons and the game is a bit less manic than the original flash game to reflect the joystick use.

after the compo release I hope to work some more on the game and get maybe 4 players on USB joysticks amongst many other things, I had this kinda implemented (3 player mode) but at the last moment had to remove this as the usb joystick code caused some problems... damn deadlines!
Nice, looking forward to play it.

Do you plan do write a Library to handle the Joystick Code? If so, it would be pretty easy to wrap it in JAVA and use it in my games, too :)

How do you develop (language, IDE)? And who is making your gfx for the other games, they look good?

i use SDL and do 95% of my coding and testing in a Windows build then do once in a while testing on a GP2X build. It it much faster this way but can lead to some little problems now and again (joystick bug is one of them). incidently, i might release a windows version of the game in the new year which has support for higher or lower resolutions, the gp2x build can also do higher res (i havent made an option in the game to change it though) so in theory i could make a tv-out version.

SDL on GP2X apparently has support for usb joysticks but it seems to crash when it tries to init them, not sure if its my code, my joypads or paeryns source (he said he hadnt tested it fully) so I need to look into it some more

gfx for the games varies between the games, i done all the gfx in squares (wasnt hard even for me), deal or no deal was me and dgrams and some stuff ripped from the tv show. some other games are original gfx or ripped. i am always looking for gfx people to help out though as I would like not to use ripped sprites etc in my stuff.

Guyfawkes posted on Dec 13 2006 at 07:33 AM said:
i use SDL and do 95% of my coding and testing in a Windows build then do once in a while testing on a GP2X build. It it much faster this way but can lead to some little problems now and again (joystick bug is one of them). incidently, i might release a windows version of the game in the new year which has support for higher or lower resolutions, the gp2x build can also do higher res (i havent made an option in the game to change it though) so in theory i could make a tv-out version.

SDL on GP2X apparently has support for usb joysticks but it seems to crash when it tries to init them, not sure if its my code, my joypads or paeryns source (he said he hadnt tested it fully) so I need to look into it some more

gfx for the games varies between the games, i done all the gfx in squares (wasnt hard even for me), deal or no deal was me and dgrams and some stuff ripped from the tv show. some other games are original gfx or ripped. i am always looking for gfx people to help out though as I would like not to use ripped sprites etc in my stuff.

Guyfawkes I am using the official sdk and have added support for upto 128 usb joysticks with no trouble at all that is untill I try to release them with sdl and for some reason it wont release them correctly but it will int them just fine its wierd and I can't figure out the problem. I mean its real simple you int the controller save each one in an array then go throught the array when finished releasing each one but that is when my program freezes when trying to release each one that it int. Have you ever had this happen to you?

On the issue of ports and remakes, I had to do a bit of "soul searching" to figure out exactly where the distinction lies as far as this contest goes. I suppose the distinction will lie in that a port is a modified source code (sometimes completely re-written, though, I believe) meant to make a game in its entirety playable on different systems, including the use of graphics and other media. A remake would then be a sort of re-imagining of the whole game, with new media and code. Technically, this puts Sam's Pong clone in a tight spot, but I doubt he ripped the graphics from the original, and there is no copyright, as far as I know, on white squares.

the game works absolutely fine on the windows build with 2 usb joysticks but crashes on the gp2x build when initing them. i haven't even got as far as getting them to work yet or even looked at the possible cause. its fairly high on my list of things to do so i will let you know when i find out.

btw: i am using the non official GPH sdk.

Guyfawkes posted on Dec 13 2006 at 08:10 AM said:
the game works absolutely fine on the windows build with 2 usb joysticks but crashes on the gp2x build when initing them. i haven't even got as far as getting them to work yet or even looked at the possible cause. its fairly high on my list of things to do so i will let you know when i find out.

btw: i am using the non official GPH sdk.

That is what basically happens to me I have used both the hardware libs and the official ones I can int all of my joysticks fine in windows select each type of joystick from my list use the controllers just fine but when I go to releae them that is when my program hangs on the gp2x but it works fine in windows. :blink:

Hey Magnulus in the contest rules you said that the judges had to write a review of each game will each of the reviews be viewable to the pulbic when the contest is over? I would like to know what each judge had to say about the games the high/low points and things that they feel may need improvement etc...

Thanks.

Magnulus posted on Dec 13 2006 at 01:09 PM said:
On the issue of ports and remakes, I had to do a bit of "soul searching" to figure out exactly where the distinction lies as far as this contest goes. I suppose the distinction will lie in that a port is a modified source code (sometimes completely re-written, though, I believe) meant to make a game in its entirety playable on different systems, including the use of graphics and other media. A remake would then be a sort of re-imagining of the whole game, with new media and code. Technically, this puts Sam's Pong clone in a tight spot, but I doubt he ripped the graphics from the original, and there is no copyright, as far as I know, on white squares.
I am capable of making squares you know, lol. Besides, mine have blurrred edges, that make them appear slightly softer.

GP2X_Coder posted on Dec 13 2006 at 02:31 PM said:
Hey Magnulus in the contest rules you said that the judges had to write a review of each game will each of the reviews be viewable to the pulbic when the contest is over? I would like to know what each judge had to say about the games the high/low points and things that they feel may need improvement etc...

Yup, all the reviews will be viewable online, for the benefit of the developers and community and in order to show you that there is rational thought behind the numbers, not just random scoring. Also, this means you'll get some quotable pieces of text you can use when you "advertise" your games. ^_^

sam fisher posted on Dec 13 2006 at 05:17 PM said:
I am capable of making squares you know, lol. Besides, mine have blurrred edges, that make them appear slightly softer.
Exactly. ^_^

Magnulus posted on Dec 13 2006 at 05:18 PM said:
Yup, all the reviews will be viewable online, for the benefit of the developers and community and in order to show you that there is rational thought behind the numbers, not just random scoring. Also, this means you'll get some quotable pieces of text you can use when you "advertise" your games. ^_^
But better not show which reviewer wrote which review, might lead to death threats otherwise ;)
I'm pretty interested in that PunchOut Style game, to whoever wrote it, if you read this, could you post a gameplay vid, please?

Nagelfar posted on Dec 13 2006 at 05:26 PM said:
But better not show which reviewer wrote which review, might lead to death threats otherwise ;)
Oh, we have special contest codenames, so you won't be able to tell who wrote which review. ^_^
Nagelfar posted on Dec 13 2006 at 05:26 PM said:
I'm pretty interested in that PunchOut Style game, to whoever wrote it, if you read this, could you post a gameplay vid, please?
If he doesn't, at least it will be ready for download on tuesday. Not so long now. ^_^

Nagelfar posted on Dec 13 2006 at 11:26 AM said:

As requested the video isn't the best having trouble with my capture card but here is something to hold you over till the game is released.

Video Link

GP2X_Coder posted on Dec 13 2006 at 07:17 PM said:
Nagelfar posted on Dec 13 2006 at 11:26 AM said:

As requested the video isn't the best having trouble with my capture card but here is something to hold you over till the game is released.

Video Link
Thx a lot, very fluid animations indeed, good job. Seems you have A LOT of free time on your hand *g*

Back