Gp2x Community Game Contest: Winners!

I'm going to have to have a little moan here: the reviews seem poor in places, as if the judges didn't quite understand what they were supposed to be awarding points for (and different judges had different standards, so the lack of reviews showed - not exactly anybody's fault other than the lazy judges who never did any). Also, keeping the judges anonymous does seem a bit strange - how do we know they aren't biased?

I think Squares and Laser2x deserved to be in the top 3 (though I personally am of the opinion that they should've been the top 2). But some games seemed unfairly scored down:

Cardmaster
"Cardmaster at first looks like a cool rpg but it is impossible to control and is based around a hard to understand card game."
Since when has Top Trumps been hard to understand?

"It isn't however innovative because it is so frustrating to control and is in no way fun to play"
dictionary.com said:
innovative

adjective
1. ahead of the times; "the advanced teaching methods"; "had advanced views on the subject"; "a forward-looking corporation"; "is British industry innovative enough?" [syn: advanced]
2. being or producing something like nothing done or experienced or created before; "stylistically innovative works"; "innovative members of the artistic community"; "a mind so innovational, so original"
Next time, could the judges please be informed what the words mean?

Crossroads
"Games like this have been done before. All this does is take the formula and make it more boring. It isn't original or innovative at all."
Seems quiet a malicious thing to say to me...

Grow
"The graphics are very simple but are absolutely perfect for the game."
Yet it was scored a 3/10 in the Use of Graphics category?

I won't comment much on the reviews I received since I couldn't be impartial (I'll just have to hope somebody else will defend me ;)), but I did feel they had something against it, claiming it wasn't much of a game, when in my opinion, it is as much of a game as pong (and being awarded 0 in the gameplay category seems a bit strange, since it was a game and thus had gameplay). Maybe they didn't actually read the instructions?

In summary, the reviews either seemed *really* positive, or *really* negative.

Basically, I think next year (if there is a next year) there needs to be a more open judging process, with better organisation and have the prizes all together and ready to issue before they are promised so that nobody runs off with some... Maybe a future contest could be based entirely off a community vote since it is after all, the 'community contest'. However, we did get a few of good games from it, so nothing lost there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to have to have a little moan here: the reviews seem poor in places, as if the judges didn't quite understand what they were supposed to be awarding points for (and different judges had different standards, so the lack of reviews showed - not exactly anybody's fault other than the lazy judges who never did any). Also, keeping the judges anonymous does seem a bit strange - how do we know they aren't biased?

I think Squares and Laser2x deserved to be in the top 3 (though I personally am of the opinion that they should've been the top 2). But some games seemed unfairly scored down:

Cardmaster
"Cardmaster at first looks like a cool rpg but it is impossible to control and is based around a hard to understand card game."
Since when has Top Trumps been hard to understand?

"It isn't however innovative because it is so frustrating to control and is in no way fun to play"
innovative

adjective
1. ahead of the times; "the advanced teaching methods"; "had advanced views on the subject"; "a forward-looking corporation"; "is British industry innovative enough?" [syn: advanced]
2. being or producing something like nothing done or experienced or created before; "stylistically innovative works"; "innovative members of the artistic community"; "a mind so innovational, so original"
Next time, could the judges please be informed what the words mean?

Crossroads
"Games like this have been done before. All this does is take the formula and make it more boring. It isn't original or innovative at all."
Seems quiet a malicious thing to say to me...

Grow
"The graphics are very simple but are absolutely perfect for the game."
Yet it was scored a 3/10 in the Use of Graphics category?

I won't comment much on the reviews I received since I couldn't be impartial (I'll just have to hope somebody else will defend me ;)), but I did feel they had something against it, claiming it wasn't much of a game, when in my opinion, it is as much of a game as pong (and being awarded 0 in the gameplay category seems a bit strange, since it was a game and thus had gameplay). Maybe they didn't actually read the instructions?

In summary, the reviews either seemed *really* positive, or *really* negative.

Basically, I think next year (if there is a next year) there needs to be a more open judging process, with better organisation and have the prizes all together and ready to issue before they are promised so that nobody runs off with some... Maybe a future contest could be based entirely off a community vote since it is after all, the 'community contest'. However, we did get a few of good games from it, so nothing lost there.

For next year, I am currently laying out a much better way for judging and competition prizes, so there are more chances to win for subcategories and such, and a much better layout, and more judges and a much cleaner way to judge, so biases can be removed altogether. This is my first competition I ever hosted, so in a way, it was sort of an experiment. And with all the other problems it faced, I personally thought it came out pretty good. I personally would love to host another competition, and with much more organization, it would be less spur of the moment stuff, and have a more solid background.

Since Orkie has so nicely defended my game, I'll pick at his 'review'.

This game could later be modified to actually have goals
There is a goal, albeit not much of one.

Technically you still DO something but pushing A over and over against a black screen is also doing something.
But there isn't an objective there, unlike here.

It is however in no way innovative because it is just pointless and pathetic.
That's just downright scornful. Not how a review should be written.

something someone threw together an hour before the deadline.
That's true though ;)

I think pong has slightly more gameplay that yours, because i had two difficulties :p but i agree with your points on the judges. I wish they'd read my read me...
A mere two?! Mine had about 1 million levels of difficulty if you are willing to play around with the launch script :D

Thanks nickspoon :)

PSyMastR: I'll be sure to enter again if you can fix the judging system. Like I said, I think a public vote would be good (and would save a lot of trouble). Will you be revealing who did the reviews this year?

Sorry but those "reviews" are just terrible. I would've applied for the position of judge but I only just got my gp2x several days ago.

Also, keeping the judges anonymous does seem a bit strange - how do we know they aren't biased?
Everyone is biased, it is human nature. Whoever coordinates the competition should make sure the judges have no relation to the developers of the games. In a community like this, I think the best way to do this is simply trust people. Language would serve no purpose if you couldn't trust what people said.

I think that this judge bashing is inappropriate. However, if you are going to do this, do it properly. There are two different judges, each with their own opinions and reviews. Keep them separate. It isn't one giant entity that is out to get your games. One may be pickier about graphics and the other gameplay. This is intended to balance the scores, but doesn't exactly because there are only two judges.

Something to keep in mind is that it was clear on the website what you had to do to become a judge, and only two people actually followed through with it. The reviews may not be perfect, but they're not getting paid. They are writing all of these reviews for free in their spare time. So, while you may not agree with them, you could have been a judge if you had worked towards it (except people who entered). It's easy to rip a review apart, revealing its inconsistencies, but much more difficult to consistently review the games yourself.

Also, does anyone remember the contest held shortly after the gp2x came out? There were no reviews at all, and no explanation for how they chose the winners. I entered that contest with extraterrestres and was disappointed to see that they offered no criticism for it (criticism helps me improve my games). I doubt they got past the second level (there are 7). To me, that was an incomplete and poorly operated contest. I think that, although not perfect, this was definitely an improvement.

EDIT: Okay, I got permission to announce this-
I was the second judge (my reviews are listed second). I tried to be consistent in my ratings, but I'm not perfect. I apologize for any rude comments in my reviews.

Congratulations to everyone! And thanks to all who helped with the compo and to all who donated! This was my second ever contest, and it went a lot better than last time. Thinking back, I have really learned a loads since then. Now im just waiting for next time!

Thanks, Imerion, I love Altitude and hopefully you will fix the bug in stage 3 so I can beat it

Thanks! An update is almost done, fixing that bug, making some levels slightly easier and adds additional buttons for control. (I wonder if I had gotten better score in the reviews if I had added that before the compo... :))

I was the second judge (my reviews are listed second). I tried to be consistent in my ratings, but I'm not perfect. I apologize for any rude comments in my reviews.

Your reviews were definately the better ones. I do not know who the first reviewer was but he was too objective at times.

Congratulations to everyone! And thanks to all who helped with the compo and to all who donated! This was my second ever contest, and it went a lot better than last time. Thinking back, I have really learned a loads since then. Now im just waiting for next time!

Thanks, Imerion, I love Altitude and hopefully you will fix the bug in stage 3 so I can beat it

Thanks! An update is almost done, fixing that bug, making some levels slightly easier and adds additional buttons for control. (I wonder if I had gotten better score in the reviews if I had added that before the compo... :))
I'm pretty sure I would have increased your score if you had fixed those issues. My review is the second one. The main problems I point out are the controls, the 3rd level bug, and the annoying menu. The graphics and sound are also somewhat poor (looking back, they probably should have received lower scores...).

I'm pretty sure I would have increased your score if you had fixed those issues. My review is the second one. The main problems I point out are the controls, the 3rd level bug, and the annoying menu. The graphics and sound are also somewhat poor (looking back, they probably should have received lower scores...).
Regarding my game: Were you playing on the hardest difficulty when you won?

The problems about the floating are fenix related, there is nothing I can do about it.

The sound stutter only usually happens on the second level, because of the amount of trees.

I know this doesn't really count, but I've fixed the exit issue. There is now a pause function with an exit to menu.

I only have one question for you about my review for Bare Fist Fighters not to insult anyone or make anyone mad but why did I get the same score as squares for Use of Graphics??? I think I should have gotten at leat 1 point higher in this department each one of my games charaters took over 2 weeks to create. I was just wondering? Thanks for the review at least you stuck with it :)

I only have one question for you about my review for Bare Fist Fighters not to insult anyone or make anyone mad but why did I get the same score as squares for Use of Graphics??? I think I should have gotten at leat 1 point higher in this department each one of my games charaters took over 2 weeks to create. I was just wondering? Thanks for the review at least you stuck with it :)
My understanding of the category was not purely how nice/fancy they looked but how well suited they were to the game.

My understanding of the category was not purely how nice/fancy they looked but how well suited they were to the game.
That, and Squares' graphics were a bit smoother frame-wise.

I only have one question for you about my review not to insult anyone or make anyone mad but why did I get the same score as squares for Use of Graphics??? I think I should have gotten at leat 1 point higher in this department each one of my games charaters took over 2 weeks to create. I was just wondering? Thanks for the review at least you stuck with it :)
I can't be completely consistent across games for scores in each category, but I can explain why you got the score you did:
When I rate graphics, I break it down into two categories. The first is technical graphics while the second is the "artsy" graphics (smoothness, presentation, pleasant color schemes). Technically the graphics were very good and the 3d was very different from the graphics of any other homebrew gp2x game. However, I didn't really like the lack of "artsy" graphics. The characters seemed very mechanical, the audience was a still image, and the presentation really bothered me. I don't like the plain, white, boring,ugly text. This text is present throughout the entire game and really hurts its presentation and overall graphical appeal. Beyond that, there is a black background behind the names of the contestants. This is simply a black rectangle behind their names. I think that if you really need to have that there, it should at least have a nice graphical presentation (colored, smoother, 3d, etc). The bright green and red color scheme drove me nuts. I think they look terrible together, and every bar in the game is colored this way. The health bars and the power-up bar don't seem to fit with the high level of graphics of the characters themselves. I could list a number of other things that you could do to improve it, but at the base of the issue is my opinion. I would rather have simple but smooth graphics. I don't care much for graphics that are technically good but don't visually please me. I like artsy games.

Maybe you deserve a higher score than squares, maybe you don't, I don't know. I hate being forced to rate individual categories equally. I had to use this system, but I don't support it. I think that depending on the game, different categories should hold different power over the total score (not just averaging them). I still haven't found a review system that I like. I would rather discuss games than rate them. I find myself enjoying different games for different reasons and unable to say which one is better. I know I'm not really going anywhere with this, but that is the point. It is unrealistic to think that you could determine the better game by assigning a score for each category. It is unrealistic to think you can determine a universally better or worse game.

Hope this helps a little.

EDIT:
the first reviewer: How do nice graphics equal originality?
I know I'm not the first reviewer, but I believe he was referring to the style rather than the quality.

I only have one question for you about my review not to insult anyone or make anyone mad but why did I get the same score as squares for Use of Graphics??? I think I should have gotten at leat 1 point higher in this department each one of my games charaters took over 2 weeks to create. I was just wondering? Thanks for the review at least you stuck with it :)
I can't be completely consistent across games for scores in each category, but I can explain why you got the score you did:
When I rate graphics, I break it down into two categories. The first is technical graphics while the second is the "artsy" graphics (smoothness, presentation, pleasant color schemes). Technically the graphics were very good and the 3d was very different from the graphics of any other homebrew gp2x game. However, I didn't really like the lack of "artsy" graphics. The characters seemed very mechanical, the audience was a still image, and the presentation really bothered me. I don't like the plain, white, boring,ugly text. This text is present throughout the entire game and really hurts its presentation and overall graphical appeal. Beyond that, there is a black background behind the names of the contestants. This is simply a black rectangle behind their names. I think that if you really need to have that there, it should at least have a nice graphical presentation (colored, smoother, 3d, etc). The bright green and red color scheme drove me nuts. I think they look terrible together, and every bar in the game is colored this way. The health bars and the power-up bar don't seem to fit with the high level of graphics of the characters themselves. I could list a number of other things that you could do to improve it, but at the base of the issue is my opinion. I would rather have simple but smooth graphics. I don't care much for graphics that are technically good but don't visually please me. I like artsy games.

Maybe you deserve a higher score than squares, maybe you don't, I don't know. I hate being forced to rate individual categories equally. I had to use this system, but I don't support it. I think that depending on the game, different categories should hold different power over the total score (not just averaging them). I still haven't found a review system that I like. I would rather discuss games than rate them. I find myself enjoying different games for different reasons and unable to say which one is better. I know I'm not really going anywhere with this, but that is the point. It is unrealistic to think that you could determine the better game by assigning a score for each category. It is unrealistic to think you can determine a universally better or worse game.

EDIT:
I know I'm not the first reviewer, but I believe he was referring to the style rather than the quality.
Originality/Innovation: 9/10
This game is completely original. It uses graphics of a type never seen in gp2x homebrew. This set itself apart from most gp2x homebrew games and looked very professional.

EDIT:

Thanks for your response I appreciate it. I just wanted to know in a little more depth and I appreciate you taking the time to let me know why you scored it the way you did. Oh well better luck next year!!!

Thanks for your response I appreciate it. I just wanted to know in a little more depth and I appreciate you taking the time to let me know why you scored it the way you did. Oh well better luck next year!!!
You're welcome, I'm glad to help. As I said before, I was very frustrated with the gp2x competition I entered as I received no explanation for my game not getting in the top 3. In fact, they only announced the top three and didn't even score the games (see here ).

Goity: I see what you mean. It's not really clear what he thinks is innovative about the graphics. However, I'm sure I made similar mistakes in my reviews. Although I disagree with many of his scores, I understand that some people won't understand my reasoning either and therefore accept them for what they are: one person's opinion.

Other contestants: If you want some more advice or explanation, just ask. However, I can't guarantee insightful answers every time :p I have school and a job and a life as well.

EDIT: On a side note, if any of you developers could give me a hand recompiling extraterrestres I would greatly appreciate it (just send me a PM). I recently downloaded the official SDK and can't get it to compile extraterrestres. I'm pretty sure it's a linker problem, but I don't really know coding all that well (I only code because it is the only way I know to bring my ideas to life. If I could simply design a game and have someone else code it, I would be thrilled). I use c++ and SDL along with some extensions.

Hi deadlychicken, I'd like some details concerning the following bits:

Although neat looking, the backgrounds start to all look the same after awhile (not literally).
Well, that helps maintain a certain visual consistency, smooth abstract was the main goal.

The disk and the players look pretty good, but they seem to occasionally "stutter" which looks awkward and hurts the fluidity of the motion.
Most (if not all) SDL games have an occasionaly stutter, take a look at Dodgin Diamond II or Noiz2sa (the gp2x ports)

Another problem with the sound, which seems to be common with the gp2x, is that the volume is very low, even when turned all of the way up.
Yes, well, I can hardly be blamed for the hardware, can I? Try disabling the volume limit if you want loud speaker sound in a regular environment.

This is not to be picky or anything, just honest questions.

Both judges did a good job, especially considering they're not earning paychecks doing this. Too bad the other people who signed up for this position didn't take the time to do the same, that really pissed me off. Two judges by no means can represent a very wide set of opinions. Psymastr, why didn't you write a set of reviews yourself? Or Magnulus? Speaking of whom, did he really pull a runner? He seems like a nice guy and really into this whole thing, I'd honestly be surprised if he actually threw in the towel.

The next contest definitely needs to be more organized and more (!!) hyped. We should start early, sometime like in June, and offer some sort of compensation for the judges (how about $2 per decent review, if the community keeps growing it would be an excellent way to make at least a cool $50; this also assumes more donations will follow suit)

- Alex

Back