Gp2x Community Game Contest Only 3 Days Left!

Does anyone have any new projects on the pipeline now that this one is over?

I have one that I'll release a week or two from now, around the 24th, then I'll probably work on a space shooter, something I wanted to code for a long while now.

- Alex

Alex. posted on Dec 14 2006 at 08:04 AM said:

I have one that I'll release a week or two from now, around the 24th, then I'll probably work on a space shooter, something I wanted to code for a long while now.

- Alex

I am working on my fighting game creator its basically just like mugen. Trying to get it fininshed so I can get it out to everyone.

Also working on a driving game.

Last edited by a moderator:
GP2X_Coder posted on Dec 14 2006 at 02:52 PM said:
Alex. posted on Dec 14 2006 at 08:04 AM said:

- Alex

I am working on my fighting game creator its basically just like mugen. Trying to get it fininshed so I can get it out to everyone.

Also working on a driving game.
With so many apparently talented people here I'm not sure if we shouldn't combine our efforts :)

Mugen rocked. I could never getting working correctly on XP though :( Sad that it died out. The linux version was bugged as well, good thing I keep my old Dos Machine.

I'm going to be working on what was originally intended to be my entry (another puzzle game), but it could take a long time to finish - I'm doing other things.

PSyMastR posted on Dec 14 2006 at 02:45 PM said:
Mugen rocked. I could never getting working correctly on XP though :( Sad that it died out. The linux version was bugged as well, good thing I keep my old Dos Machine.

bit of topic but i just searched google for mugen to see what it was (bit embarrassed when i found out) but i found this site which suppled a program that gives you the game

winmugen

just click on the no limit winwugen link to download

One problem is this program only contains 1 character but you can download more from this site

http://www.mugenguild.com/

Tim

nickspoon posted on Dec 14 2006 at 03:36 AM said:
Alex. posted on Dec 14 2006 at 01:59 AM said:
GP2X_Coder posted on Dec 13 2006 at 07:57 PM said:
the only reason I could think of using a break in a loop is a for loop like when you are searching through an array to find something and when you find it use break to stop
Why not do something like this instead?

Code:
int array[] = {1, 8, 7, 11};
int arrayLength = 4;
int index = -1;

int k;

for(k = 0; k < arrayLength && index == -1; k++) {
  if(array[k] == SOME_VALUE) index = k;
}

- Alex :)
Because it's quicker, easier and works just as well?

Plus, there's nothing better to use in switch statements.

As for goto, it's only considered bad practice because it encourages disorganised coding.

Sorry to bring this up again but using a loop the way Alex did is not quicker at all nickspoon and here is the reason why it's slower and it's faster to use a break because it will terminate the loop and continue with the rest of the code the way Alex did it the code has to go through the loop again and check to see if the conditions are met or not before it continues.

This is the fastest way to do the loop.

Code:
int arrayLength = 4;
int index = -1;

int k;

for(k = 0; k < arrayLength; k++) {
  if(array[k] == SOME_VALUE) index = k; break;
}

you eliminte the need to go back into the loop to check and see if k < arrayLength and index == -1 because you already set the index value to k and broke out of the loop and moved on.

Alex do you see why I would do it this way instead. ;)

GP2X_Coder posted on Dec 14 2006 at 06:11 PM said:
Sorry to bring this up again but using a loop the way Alex did is not quicker at all nickspoon and here is the reason why it's slower and it's faster to use a break because it will terminate the loop and continue with the rest of the code the way Alex did it the code has to go through the loop again and check to see if the conditions are met or not before it continues.

Code:
int arrayLength = 4;
int index = -1;

int k;

}

you eliminte the need to go back into the loop to check and see if k < arrayLength and index == -1 because you already set the index value to k and broke out of the loop and moved on.

Indeed - what I meant was, it's quicker and easier to do a break;, so it'd be preferable to doing it the long way. Plus, with a break; you don't have to compare index on every iteration, making your loop more efficient.

nickspoon posted on Dec 14 2006 at 01:18 PM said:

Code:
int arrayLength = 4;
int index = -1;

int k;

}

Indeed - what I meant was, it's quicker and easier to do a break;, so it'd be preferable to doing it the long way. Plus, with a break; you don't have to compare index on every iteration, making your loop more efficient.

Sorry about that I thought you ment that Alex's way was faster. :rolleyes:

tim0391 posted on Dec 14 2006 at 12:35 PM said:

bit of topic but i just searched google for mugen to see what it was (bit embarrassed when i found out) but i found this site which suppled a program that gives you the game

winmugen

One problem is this program only contains 1 character but you can download more from this site

Tim
Winmugan doesn't work for me (already tried it) and Ive got about 2 gigs of characters lol (went on a binge one time)

PSyMastR posted on Dec 14 2006 at 06:33 PM said:
tim0391 posted on Dec 14 2006 at 12:35 PM said:

winmugen

Tim
Winmugan doesn't work for me (already tried it) and Ive got about 2 gigs of characters lol (went on a binge one time)

ok well i was just downloading a few charicters to try while writng that it dont work for me nether :( o well...

Tim

nickspoon posted on Dec 14 2006 at 06:18 PM said:

Code:
int arrayLength = 4;
int index = -1;

int k;

}

Even I knew that lol.

Back