Gp2x Community Game Contest - Games Ready To Download!

Great work and great games everyone! I'm amazed at how different each game is from each other, no two are really in the same genre. It is like everyone got together and decided on which type of game they were going to make. Usually you have a couple puzzle games and a few shooters, but these are all different. Thanks again for all your work deving.

reaper79 posted on Dec 20 2006 at 03:23 PM said:
Great work and great games everyone! I'm amazed at how different each game is from each other, no two are really in the same genre. It is like everyone got together and decided on which type of game they were going to make. Usually you have a couple puzzle games and a few shooters, but these are all different. Thanks again for all your work deving.
So, when will we get the results, I'm getting all edgy ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Guyfawkes posted on Dec 20 2006 at 03:34 PM said:
January 12th according to the site, hopefully sooner though as I cant wait to see who has won :)
:D

SiDCrAzY posted on Dec 19 2006 at 09:41 PM said:
I can't get Airplyr to work.....

All I get is a black screen, what am I doing wrong?
Rename airplyr-dat1.dat to have a .gpe extension, and launch that. Sorry for the trouble.

It seems that the script works for some, but not for others? Here's the code, what could possibly be wrong with it?

Code:
#!/bin/sh

./airplyr-dat1.dat
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

- Alex

Edit: I think I spotted the problem, I used Wordpad to edit the file name from a previous script I made. I'll use Notepad++ w/ UNIX format and redistribute the whole thing.

Edit 2: Download the new Airplyr launcher script (save link as/save target as) and please tell me if it works.

Thanks - Airplyr is excellent, very polished, great fun.

A word of advice - it'd be better if you called sync after each time you write to the card, otherwise, if you switch off before exiting the game, it's possible that you wouldn't save to card.

Excellent advice, I'll implement that right now :) Thanks nickspoon!

- Alex

NOOO then it will show up how many times the damn computer beats me (i usually turn it off right when i loose! :D ) but either way, great game alex, i havent seen any problems with it at all (launching it an what not)... also as far as the other games go, they to are all great! im actually having alot of fun playing all of them (espcially Airplyr, Crossroads, and Squares) great work guys! cant wait to see more updates for them (espicially grow, cause it could be alot of fun) well, good luck with the contest (cant wait to see who wins)

(btw Crapong is actually quite good, i thought it would be a stinking pile of crap, but its actually quite fun! well as fun as a pong game can be :) )

Goemon4 posted on Dec 21 2006 at 02:01 AM said:
NOOO then it will show up how many times the damn computer beats me (i usually turn it off right when i loose! :D ) but either way, great game alex, i havent seen any problems with it at all (launching it an what not)... also as far as the other games go, they to are all great! im actually having alot of fun playing all of them (espcially Airplyr, Crossroads, and Squares) great work guys! cant wait to see more updates for them (espicially grow, cause it could be alot of fun) well, good luck with the contest (cant wait to see who wins)

(btw Crapong is actually quite good, i thought it would be a stinking pile of crap, but its actually quite fun! well as fun as a pong game can be :) )
lol, cool, I just use it to listen to OGG files lol, and play pong at the same time.

Geeze guys, I guess I'll have to actually turn grow into a game after all the comments. I've got lots of good ideas for it, just no motivation :) I was regretting my last minute decision to enter it in the contest, but now I'm glad I did.

Awsome, cant wait to see the improvements! (and if you want motivation, Just remember, somewhere, someone is getting round house kicked in the face by Chuck Norris, just be glad it isnt you!) yeah, i had to throw that in there ;) ...but lame jokes aside please make continue on this game, cause the 2x needs more original homebrew games!!

Goemon4 posted on Dec 21 2006 at 03:10 AM said:
Awsome, cant wait to see the improvements! (and if you want motivation, Just remember, somewhere, someone is getting side kicked in the face by Chuck Norris, just be glad it isnt you!) yeah, i had to throw that in there ;) ...but lame jokes aside please make continue on this game, cause the 2x needs more original homebrew games!!
Round House Kick....

ahhh yes (editing) sry, i just typed that from my horrible 80 year old memory

btw how do i start Lasers, i got it working once but i have no idea how again (help plz?)

Nagelfar posted on Dec 20 2006 at 07:38 AM said:
jbrodack posted on Dec 20 2006 at 09:41 AM said:
laser2x: first off cool to see someone using java on the gp2x. these games are generally frustrating for me but this game is still cool and has nice graphics and skins. seems to have some crash problems and a bit tricky to set up but still well designed and a lot of fun though these types of games i usually stay away from
Glad you like it, one thing though, copying 2 folders to your SD card is a tricky install?

well usually you can just throw everything together in one folder wherever you want. having 2 folders that have to be in the root folder (ill admit i didn't read the readme at first) and then having to launch the properties file afterward is a little tricky compared to other games and im not sure if the last part is even covered in the readme. not a big deal just saying that it required a little more effort than most of the other games.

Alex. posted on Dec 20 2006 at 12:06 PM said:
SiDCrAzY posted on Dec 19 2006 at 09:41 PM said:
I can't get Airplyr to work.....

All I get is a black screen, what am I doing wrong?
Rename airplyr-dat1.dat to have a .gpe extension, and launch that. Sorry for the trouble.

It seems that the script works for some, but not for others? Here's the code, what could possibly be wrong with it?

Code:
#!/bin/sh

./airplyr-dat1.dat
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

- Alex

Edit: I think I spotted the problem, I used Wordpad to edit the file name from a previous script I made. I'll use Notepad++ w/ UNIX format and redistribute the whole thing.

Edit 2: Download the new Airplyr launcher script (save link as/save target as) and please tell me if it works.

Thanks very much Alex!

I was dying to play this game ever since I saw it.

Thanks for the help and developing this game :)

P.S. I DL the patch off of your update thread, since I saw that one first and it works like a charm, great game!

Excellent, I'm glad it works :) and thanks for the kind words!

- Alex

Hey peeps - as it looks like nearly everybody who entered has posted in this thread, would any of you mind detailing what you used to develop your games? OS, IDE, environment, etc? It would be interesting to see...

Sure thing. Airplyr:

System: P3 700mhz, 128mb RAM
Language: C w/ Paeryn's Hardware SDL
Tool chain: DevKitGP2X
IDE: Code::Blocks
Graphics: Photoshop 6

- Alex

Game: Bare Fist Fighter

System: P4 HT 3.6ghz x2, 2gig RAM
Language: C++
Tool chain: Officail SDK
IDE: DevCPP