Firmware Update

As before I'm unable to flash the firmware, Just loads up and deletes the img files, I've ran the program updater which worked. They need a workaround to get it to flash on any SD card because I dont think everyone wants to go out and buy a certain SD card just to flash it.

As I stated above I think it has less to do with the brand of SD card used and more to do with where the card is plugged in when it is formatted. I have been unable to format them properly so that they will flash the firmware in Linux. It has only worked in Windows and only with my Verbatim card reader.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I can confirm is that most people having problems with SD cards probably has to do with their card readers. I cannot flash from an SD card formatted on my internal card reader (Toshiba notebook). I can flash from an SD card fofmatted on my Verbatim card reader. I think it has more to do with the card reader and less to do with the SD card.
I wasn't able to flash from the 1GB Integral, but I was able to flash from a 1GB Sandisk, both FAT32 formatted using the same cardreader. That would seem to indicate that in my case the problem was with the SD card and not with the cardreader, contrary to your experience.

Just updated.

Im not sure if it has done all that is promised but, here is what i have found so far.

1. better compatibility with SD cards
2. less frame drops in movie playback with better SD read performance
3. Battery light is off. (Future version will have it on when low in battery)
4. Pause to play bug in movie player fixed.
5. 10 volume levels in movie player and no pausing when adjusting volume
6. MP3 player slowdown when changing EQ fixed.

1. Didnt have a problem before the update.
2. not tested yet
3. Battery light is still on
4. again, not tested
5. again, not tested
6. Fixed as stated, the stutter i had before really bugged me, its gone now :)

I dont get a different boot screen, but when i check the firmware number it states 1.0.1.

Any feedback?

Just updated.

Im not sure if it has done all that is promised but, here is what i have found so far.

1. better compatibility with SD cards
2. less frame drops in movie playback with better SD read performance
3. Battery light is off. (Future version will have it on when low in battery)
4. Pause to play bug in movie player fixed.
5. 10 volume levels in movie player and no pausing when adjusting volume
6. MP3 player slowdown when changing EQ fixed.

1. Didnt have a problem before the update.
2. not tested yet
3. Battery light is still on
4. again, not tested
5. again, not tested
6. Fixed as stated, the stutter i had before really bugged me, its gone now :)

I dont get a different boot screen, but when i check the firmware number it states 1.0.1.

Any feedback?

Is the battery light now off when batteries are used?
I know previously it was on permanantly either way.

Cannibal.

Hmm, the *.img files didn't install at boot up and the version number didn't change until I ran the the patch utility which just copies a text file with the version number in it!

You can edit the 'version' file in a text editor for it to say whatever version number you want!! (Please don't try this as you may brick your unit)

I guess I'm gonna have to buy a Sandisk card to get it to install properly. but which one...
gaming-sd-1gb.jpg
or
6673671824635558.JPG.jpg

Mmmm.....thats possibly what its done to me as the battery light is still always on.

Ill have to re-try, strange how the mp3 player no longer stutters when you change the EQ.

Mmmm.....thats possibly what its done to me as the battery light is still always on.

Ill have to re-try, strange how the mp3 player no longer stutters when you change the EQ.

That's not strange. You didn't get the new loading screen as you didn't update the firmware. You did get the new music player as that was patched by the utility. Also, the text file would have updated the version number. However, without updating the firmware you won't see the version number on the loading screen.

Tried it again, the 2 files dissapear after it has booted up, i still have the same boot screen and the battery light is still on.

Any ideas?

Tried it again, the 2 files dissapear after it has booted up, i still have the same boot screen and the battery light is still on.

Any ideas?

Well, unless you see the firmware updating screen (comes on before the loading screen) your firmware was not updated. It has to do either with the way the card is formatted (make sure it's FAT32 and I have only had luck formatting with and external card reader) or what brand of SD card you're using. Check the pinned topic in GP2X general talk for more info on that.

As before I'm unable to flash the firmware, Just loads up and deletes the img files, I've ran the program updater which worked. They need a workaround to get it to flash on any SD card because I dont think everyone wants to go out and buy a certain SD card just to flash it.

As I stated above I think it has less to do with the brand of SD card used and more to do with where the card is plugged in when it is formatted. I have been unable to format them properly so that they will flash the firmware in Linux. It has only worked in Windows and only with my Verbatim card reader.

Nope, tried 5 different cards, all formatted using same cardreader and same procedure, only one works reliable with every try, every other card doesn't update.

Last edited:
I wasn't able to flash from the 1GB Integral, but I was able to flash from a 1GB Sandisk, both FAT32 formatted using the same cardreader. That would seem to indicate that in my case the problem was with the SD card and not with the cardreader, contrary to your experience.
I updated using a 1GB Integral with no problems at all, in fact after hearing that the card doesn't work i did it again just to make sure.

Nope, tried 5 different cards, all formatted using same cardreader and same procedure, only one works reliable with every try, every other card doesn't update.

This seems terribly random to me. I have updated succesfully with two different cards now. A SanDisk 256MB (previously reported to not work) and a Transcend 1GB. When I formatted them with the internal card reader on my Toshiba laptop they would not update the firmware. When I formatted them using an external card reader over USB they both updated the firmware just fine. How can we both be getting differing results like this?

Well, I watched a video file on the bus home today. It seemed vaguely louder. I could hear everything the whole way home no matter how loud the bus. Very nice. I'm amazed that things are getting better as quickly as they are. I cannot wait until things are almost perfect.

The firmware updated easily for me as I only put it on a blank card. The battery light is now off, as everyone states the screen flickers more. I don't think the screen looks as good as it did, at least frodo runs for me now. Another thing is when I play my xvid movie files I just get a blank green screen with the sound.

Update worked. Sandisk 1GB. Battery light off and I also have a different loading screen. Screen also flickers more. But I'm quite satisfied. It's good to see I can run updates. :D

well this whole screen flickering seems to be turning me off, why can't we have a REALL update that does not break anything?

Back