Firmware 4.1.0 For F200 And F100 Is Out

Personally I don't see the point of upgrading to these newer versions. There seems to be zero reason to want to do so. The little updates to music, e-book and video apps seem trivial - especially since I never use these inbuilt apps. I used the much better mp2x for my video needs.

The ultimate firmware version IMHO (for the F-100) is notaz's mod to 2.11 to give SDHC support. Nothing more is required.

damned said:
^
|
|
|
|

this also has happened to me
Edit: but it hangs on the loading screen not a black screen
Looks like the F100 version might be buggy. Mine is the F100 MK 2 BTW.

I think it was 2.1.1 Unless there was a version 3 that was out for the F100.

With new bats. I just get a green power light, the screen does not even flicker when it is turned on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiousity, is the boot time any better or worse with this new firmware? I am getting tired of waiting 30 to 40 seconds for my GP2X F200 to start each time i turn it on.

Rangoth the Quasi-Evil said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have 3.00 on my F100 can I download the latest firmware update or do I have to download 4.00 first? How long should it take to update?
You have to do the 4.0.0 Update first. The 4.0.0 is a big update because it puts a lot of programs to the NAND. It takes a few minutes to update.
The 4.1.0 Update only takes a few seconds.

The boot time of mine F-200 is not affected with this update.

Regards,
Stephan

slaanesh said:
Personally I don't see the point of upgrading to these newer versions. There seems to be zero reason to want to do so. The little updates to music, e-book and video apps seem trivial - especially since I never use these inbuilt apps. I used the much better mp2x for my video needs.

The ultimate firmware version IMHO (for the F-100) is notaz's mod to 2.11 to give SDHC support. Nothing more is required.

Yeah there might really be no point in upgrading. However I like tinkering with it now that I can easily switch to whatever firmware I want easily. I read on the latest release notes for 4.1.0 on Gamepark's site that 4.1.0 makes the controller more responsive or something. I don't really like the fact that they took features away like the file browser removed last firmware.

MrHillBilly said:
damned said:
this also has happened to me
Edit: but it hangs on the loading screen not a black screen
Looks like the F100 version might be buggy. Mine is the F100 MK 2 BTW.

I think it was 2.1.1 Unless there was a version 3 that was out for the F100.

With new bats. I just get a green power light, the screen does not even flicker when it is turned on.

Yeah, same for me. The firmware updated said "COMPLETED. please wait". I left my F-100 mk2 on for over an hour, but nothing seemed to be happening.

Now I power on the GP2X, I only get GREEN POWER light, and black screen. me sad. :(

I previously had 3.0 firmware.

LaTrav said:
Yeah, same for me. The firmware updated said "COMPLETED. please wait". I left my F-100 mk2 on for over an hour, but nothing seemed to be happening.

Now I power on the GP2X, I only get GREEN POWER light, and black screen. me sad. :(

I previously had 3.0 firmware.
The same thing happend to me so i sent mine to Evildragon, and now it fixed and working perfect thanks to him. :), without him my Gp2x would have been bricked.
(I tried to upgrade mine from 2.1.1 to 4.0.0)

Gah, brickage of my F-100. Attempted upgrade from 2.1.1., now fuzzy stripes on startup. Any links to a good unbricking guide?

drachers said:
Gah, brickage of my F-100. Attempted upgrade from 2.1.1., now fuzzy stripes on startup. Any links to a good unbricking guide?
Nope, sorry.

It think it definitely need to be stated that firmware 4.1.0 should only be attempted from 4.0.0. ;)

I just got an email reply from the shop I purchased my Gp2X from, and they basically said "yeah, um. good luck with that". :angry:

I think I need some kind of hardware solution (coz the gp2x is basically DEAD!), unless mr.miyagi can enlighten us on the Evildragon rescue? :D

I wouldn't do any firmware updates above 2.1.1. with an F-100. Every version after that just makes it worse. 2.1.1. is the best firmware out there... don't know about the F200 though.

Well... looks like GPH did it again! Fooking everything up even more and disregarding every single advice given by the community. Why do we even bother to try their new firmcrap updates? I wish Open2x would be ready soon...

LaTrav said:
I think I need some kind of hardware solution (coz the gp2x is basically DEAD!), unless mr.miyagi can enlighten us on the Evildragon rescue? :D
I have no clue of what he did to mine, I like to to know by the way, I just know that it couldent be fixed with a software solution i tried everything before I gave up and sent it ho him.
I think he flashed it with JTAG.

And now i never upgrade mine again, i only did it to get SDHC support.

computarman said:
Yeah there might really be no point in upgrading. However I like tinkering with it now that I can easily switch to whatever firmware I want easily. I read on the latest release notes for 4.1.0 on Gamepark's site that 4.1.0 makes the controller more responsive or something. I don't really like the fact that they took features away like the file browser removed last firmware.
Flashing your firmware is DANGEROUS due to broken NAND drivers, read Orkie's post here. He talks about downgrading, but this applies for "upgrading", too. Yes it should work several times, but it will brick your GP2X sooner or later if you do it too many times.

And there is no chance for controls to become more responsive (except touch pad, maybe), as most programs read controls directly from hardware, not with the help of firmware.

mr.miyagi said:
I have no clue of what he did to mine, I like to to know by the way, I just know that it couldent be fixed with a software solution i tried everything before I gave up and sent it ho him.
OK, so should I send my bricked GP2X to Denmark for repair? :D (i'm being serious! :) )

LaTrav said:
mr.miyagi said:
OK, so should I send my bricked GP2X to Denmark for repair? :D (i'm being serious! :) )

I'm from Denmark, ED is from Germany. ;)

Try to PM or send him a mail, and explaine the situration. :)
EvilDragon -- - AT - -- gp2x.de

Well, if the breakout box were cheaper I'd probably unbrick it myself (the guides seem fairly straightforward), but I don't want to bother Evildragon with my folly. Presumably the Pandora will be available before the end of the year, I can amuse myself with ludicrous mobile phone gaming on the move till then.

It can't hurt to write him an email... there is also several others on the board that have unbricking experience and hardware to do this. I mean, what more could happen then a no for an answer? Don't give up just like that, you are wasting an expensive piece of hardware like that.

I think there is also a pin-out somewhere on the wiki if you would like to try and make your own jtag cable. Shouldn't be all too hard, you don't necessarily need the break out box for that.

EDIT:
Okay, there is a lot of information available on the wiki. Most of the guides to unbrick your gp2x talk about connecting the unit to the cradle/break-out-box but that does not at all mean that you need one. Actually you really only have to connect the gp2x via the ext port with your computer using a JTAG cable. Having a b.o.b or cradle makes it easier as you do not require a special cable!

-This guide also includes an email address of a guy who offers to unbrick gp2xs for a small donation to a charity of you choice: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Unbricking_a_GP2X
The guide itself is for the people trying to unbrick by JTAG.

-Here is the pinout of the ext connector on the gp2x for the people who feel experienced enough to make their own jtag cable: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/USB_Host_BoB_Schematic
Note that you will only need the pins that are labled "JTAG" on the schematic to make the cable, you do not need to make the whole thing... there is also a seperate pinout further down on that page. Use google to find pinouts for genuine jtag cables, to understand which pins of the ext port to solder to the jtag port.

-This is a guide that will help you if you do at least get to the loading screen, which means that uboot is still intact and you can reflash from SD card with a few little tricks: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Unbrick_Your_GP2X

So are people actually able to download the update? The links seem to be broken (SQL error) and going straight to the gp2x.com site and hunting it down doesn't seem to work either. :| ..still waiting for it to appear on archive.gp2x.de.

I'm just dying to get MAME, Payback, and Vice working. (Brand new F200 owner.)

(Am I the only one who finds the GP2x online world a little fragmented? Info on the UK site .. links to emulator info on craigs .de site, software on the main .de site, developer software on sourceforge, community on gp32x.de ..and today I find the firmware came up on gp2x.com first ..need to make yet another account to get it.) *sigh* :D

drachers said:
I found a guide in the cradle manual, I pulled from this site. If you can not find it I can email it to you, send me a PM.

I looks like the ones that have worked on the F100s were upgraded 4.0 then to 4.1. Maybe that is the prob., we may need the 4.0 first.

I have been out of the GP2X game for a bit so I did not even see that there was a 4.0 out. :wacko:

Back