Firmware Update

Hmm, the *.img files didn't install at boot up and the version number didn't change until I ran the the patch utility which just copies a text file with the version number in it!

You can edit the 'version' file in a text editor for it to say whatever version number you want!! (Please don't try this as you may brick your unit)

I guess I'm gonna have to buy a Sandisk card to get it to install properly. but which one...
gaming-sd-1gb.jpg
or
6673671824635558.JPG.jpg

I have both can't flash the GP2X :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well just got mine to upgrade to 1.0.1 using a Kingston 1GB (formatted to
FAT32) . The GP2X failed to spot the firmware the first time butI have a funny
feeling I was too hasty in taking the SD card out of the reader, quite annoying
that the damn things take a while to write out at the end of a file transfer.
Got a nice firmware upgrading splash screen and now the unit is showing the
new firmware number on the second boot splash screen (the green one).

No luck updating the firmware for me.

I have tried a 256 meg card (no idea what brand because it is branded with the name of the manufacturer who supplied the card with my GPS PDA) and also a 512 meg Kingston card.

For both cards I tried formatting and copying the update files using the following methods (cards formatted to FAT32):

a ) using the card reader built into my main PC
b ) using a USB card reader attached to my main PC
c ) using the USB card reader attached to my laptop
d ) a direct format/copy when the GP2x was connect to my main PC via the supplied USB (how slow was that process!!!!! :D )

Nope, doesn't work for me either - Sandisk 1Gb card, formatted to FAT32 via a card reader. When I run the patch I get a black screen for about 5 secs then back to the menu with no changes apparent on restart.

Nope, doesn't work for me either - Sandisk 1Gb card, formatted to FAT32 via a card reader. When I run the patch I get a black screen for about 5 secs then back to the menu with no changes apparent on restart.

Your just putting the firmware files on the sd card arn't u? If u have more than the firmware files on the sd card the gp2x won't update.

You can have whatever you want on the card when you update. It works fine.

danchamp: There are two parts to the update, the .gpu and the .img. You run the .gpu, you get a black screen and then back to the menu. That's that part done. To update with the .img you have to restart the unit and if it works you get a firmware updating message when the GP2X boots up.

When I finally got success with mine I applied the updates in the following order:
1) gp2xkernel.img (alone on the sd card)
2) gp2xboot.img (alone on the sd card)
3) loaded the sd card with path20051128.gpu + all other updates
4) When booted just went into Utilities and ran the above patcher, it ugraded all
the movie players etc.

Why did I even try? I mean, this is all gobblydook to me...

My DivX files work, but nowt else.

Maybe I'll try again in January. But as for now, I haven't a clue.

Hey don't give up lubidog, it's not that bad!

Just go to:

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,914

and click on download to get the firmware file gp2xfx100-101.zip
If you are unfamiliar with .zip files go and get a utility such as Winzip

http://www.winzip.com/

and extract the firmware files into a folder, then just put them on your
sd card all in one go or in the order I mentioned in my last post. Then
it's just finger crossing time :)

Your just putting the firmware files on the sd card arn't u? If u have more than the firmware files on the sd card the gp2x won't update.
Yep. Still no luck.
davey g said:
danchamp: There are two parts to the update, the .gpu and the .img. You run the .gpu, you get a black screen and then back to the menu. That's that part done. To update with the .img you have to restart the unit and if it works you get a firmware updating message when the GP2X boots up.
Nope, I get no message when rebooting the unit, no new splash screen and everything's as it was before (battery light still on etc).

Tried it every which way now (doing what cabbage did with just the gp2xkernel.img on the card it sticks on the green splash screen), will just give up and hope the next patch works. :unsure:

Hey don't give up lubidog, it's not that bad!

Just go to:

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,914

and click on download to get the firmware file gp2xfx100-101.zip
If you are unfamiliar with .zip files go and get a utility such as Winzip

http://www.winzip.com/

and extract the firmware files into a folder, then just put them on your
sd card all in one go or in the order I mentioned in my last post. Then
it's just finger crossing time :)

Thanks CaBage, i managed to sort out the GP32, and loved it for a while. I'lol get my non tech head around this too!

But thanks for the help!

Argh I give up, both of my sd cards are viking (256mb and 512mb) and neither let me upgrade the firmware :(

This is what the loading screen looks like on a successfully updated unit:

updated4qo.jpg

I myself didn't know about the second part of the update, I'd updated the firmware but never ran the .gpu file. Now the videos seem to play perfectly and the screens stopped flickering and looks a lot better. Can't wait for the next firmware update it should fix everything.

how'bout tryiing again with new formatted-one?

i mean, you can move all data from sd to your pc and then format it and try.

just rough guess.

Using the same card, incidentally, that I did last time, the firmware would not update if there was anything but the two .img files on it - so just dumping the contents of the .zip to the card didn't work. Copy the img files first, boot up, then copy the rest and run the patch.

Having done this, and now getting video without any of the "voltage lines" (i.e. the diagonal fluctuations), I can strongly reccommend getting this one to work :).

At least, for the time being.

EDIT: MP3, idd, also seems to still work :)

Is there absolutely no other way to flash the firmware???? The way that I see things as they stand now .... people who are currently having problems flashing the firmware will never be able to upgrade it. Call me tight if you will but having forked out on a 1gb card (Integral) I don't really want to have to pay for another card just yet. I'm sure there are others who feel the same. (You've probably guessed I've had no joy with the firmware!!)

Is there no way to make the fimware update with an executable from the menu while the GP2X is switched on? (like the patcher to fix/add functionality the movie/music player??

Back