Firmware 1.4.0 Features

But I thought the point of 1.4 was a segway to 1.5 with source? Releasing 1.4 formally seems to be an invitation for death by GPL.

Allan.

jmetal88 posted on Feb 11 2006 at 09:41 AM said:
GPH posted a reply on their site that 1.4.0 would be released publicly next week.... as if the beta isn't public enough already....

Hopefully it will be stable ... I had some ugly things happen while playing the Atari 800 emu; ghosting images, horrible flickering ... scary stuff :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
This may sound moronic, but i'll only update my GP2X for the battery light indicator. :p

Anything to stop the constant pausing a video, going to the Options, and checking out the status of my battery. :p

Muncher666 posted on Feb 11 2006 at 08:40 AM said:
But I thought the point of 1.4 was a segway to 1.5 with source? Releasing 1.4 formally seems to be an invitation for death by GPL.

Allan.
who cares? That's not the our problem, so why worry? Besides, releasing betas without the source is death by GPL anyway. this applies to test-leaking betas too.

what *is* our problem is the SD compatability, battery light and movie sync. These are the problems we should be worrying about. Not some Korean company's possible legal problems. We've backed GPH with our $$ already, why bother backing them on forums?

actually, since /. based swarm-emails tend to get a response, maybe we should /. the actual problem in this cycle directly, which I think is designsys--or whoever they are.

Reaperman93010 posted on Feb 11 2006 at 06:28 PM said:
Muncher666 posted on Feb 11 2006 at 08:40 AM said:

Allan.
who cares? That's not the our problem, so why worry? Besides, releasing betas without the source is death by GPL anyway. this applies to test-leaking betas too.

what *is* our problem is the SD compatability, battery light and movie sync. These are the problems we should be worrying about. Not some Korean company's possible legal problems. We've backed GPH with our $$ already.
Well compliance and the problems GPH have go hand in hand.

Edit: If they are foolish enough to release without source again?!

Hanz™ posted on Feb 11 2006 at 06:30 PM said:

I think the problem that is being *developed* and is spead via a lie, is that they break complience when they release new firmware. This is utter rubbish there is speculation of the release of the source with the new firmware becuase that was what was promised(expected!!??). Its GPH, CraigX, Dynawatsisname(originally one poor little programmer at GPH). Not that an upgrade breaks compliance it only means, it is just continuing non-compliance. I fail to see the difference.

What is offencive is that this is being used as a method to beat those that want the source, or protect there work. which unfortunately is distinctly looking as a way to get *customers backs up*. Who are customers *and* want the source released for whatever reason.

The reality is that releasing a beta though IRC, to competent users, or users with enough *interest* first is a damn good idea, and a trend I hope to it would contine even if source was ever released, because it gets a bit of testing, and any problems that might come from a major release are limited. Its a shame the whole GP2X wasn't launched this way as earlier teathing problems could have been put to rest sooner rather than later.

Cyclops posted on Feb 11 2006 at 05:58 PM said:

The reality is that releasing a beta though IRC, to competent users, or users with enough *interest* first is a damn good idea, and a trend I hope to it would contine even if source was ever released, because it gets a bit of testing, and any problems that might come from a major release are limited. Its a shame the whole GP2X wasn't launched this way as earlier teathing problems could have been put to rest sooner rather than later.

that *IS* what's being done right now, iirc, the gp2x isnt even officially released, we are early adopters testing the unit before the official release.

Cyclops said:
I think the problem that is being *developed* and is spead via a lie, is that they break complience when they release new firmware. This is utter rubbish there is speculation of the release of the source with the new firmware becuase that was what was promised(expected!!??). Its GPH, CraigX, Dynawatsisname(originally one poor little programmer at GPH). Not that an upgrade breaks compliance it only means, it is just continuing non-compliance. I fail to see the difference.

They are committing copyright infringement every time they distribute code that contains GPL licensee code without complying to the terms of the GPL licensee. So in your assessment that this is not a new crime but rather a continuation of the old one you are somewhat correct. Undoubtedly a new firmware release however does cause more copyright infringement as the crime of copyright infringement is punishable on a per-infringement basis, this does serve to dig them into a deeper hole. It is interesting to note that if anyone really wanted to be a dick about it and go after EvilDragon for committing copyright infringement they could. Anyone who distributes GPH's firmware is committing copyright infringement as they do not have a licensee to copy that code. In the eyes of the law there is no difference between putting SNES roms in the file archive and putting GPH's GP2X firmware there. Just be thankful that the copyright holders of the infringed code of the firmware image are a bit nicer then the big N.

Cyclops said:

Doing that is fine as long as the terms of the GPL licensee are meet in doing so. This would mean that if anyone who was given the firmware asked for the source, GPH would give that to them, and it would mean that anyone who received the firmware has the right to modify, and distribute the new firmware as outlined in the GPH licensee. Obviously that somewhat defeats the purpose of the “closed” beta when people are allowed to redistribute the file. I would purpose that a better idea would be a shift in development that would result in a more stable final product. The Debian release model comes to mind quickly as being a good one (accelerated of course). This would mean we would have 3 current firmwares at any given time:

Unstable: (releases made weekly)
This firmware would be where new features are first introduced. Anyone running this should be well aware that the probability of it crashing is high, and the possibility of it bricking your GP2X exist. This is where active development is occurring.

Testing: (releases made monthly)
After a feature has proved itself stable in the Unstable firmware release it is promoted to the testing release. This release would therefore serve to make sure that all the features that seemed stable in unstable are stable together. This release is where the process of beta testing occurs. It's stable enough it won't GP2X, but from time to time things might crash. Every so often this release is “frozen”. When this happens no new features are promoted from Unstable to Testing, and all work is focused on squashing bugs in the testing release so it can be promoted to stable.

Stable: (releases made every couple of months)
This release is just that – stable. After testing was “frozen” and all the bugs were fixed what was once called testing now is called stable.

Paradox posted on Feb 11 2006 at 01:34 PM said:
Cyclops posted on Feb 11 2006 at 05:58 PM said:

that *IS* what's being done right now, iirc, the gp2x isnt even officially released, we are early adopters testing the unit before the official release.

No no no no no no no!

The GP2X pre-release bullshit excuse simply does not fly. How many stores sell it? How many thousands of units have been shipped? The GP2X is in production, any claim to the contrary is just plain bullshit (even if it is GPH themselves making the claim).

Cyclops posted on Feb 12 2006 at 04:58 AM said:

Your posts are cryptic at best, but I'll assume that this is because you don't speak english as a first language. Nonetheless, where did it say that the source would be released with a firmware? There is one instance that I've found, and only a close one at that, came from craigix about a week ago.

It isn't going to be released due to GPL threats, 1.4.x is now being completed. Its likely there will be a 1.5 release with source code soon.

I agree, I'm a bit shocked that they're releasing 1.4 properly, it's a stupid thing to do since it's not particularly useful and it's not being released with source. But get your facts straight, instead of shoving words in good people's mouths.

Allan.

From what I can see the tv out still plays the sound on the gp2x. It boots a little faster and u can adjust the lcd screen. I can turn the lcd screen right down to the bottom it gets rid of the scan lines altogether but theirs still a bit of flicker. Also the images look a little blurry.

When you use the tv out it doesnt put the sound on the tv? Are you kidding? Everytime I think I should buy one yet another hilarious non tested "feature" arrives

so i downloaded the 1.4.0 firmware update, but when i get my gp2x in a few days, do you guys recommend upgrading to 1.4 or staying at what the official is right now

mrpig posted on Feb 13 2006 at 07:34 PM said:
When you use the tv out it doesnt put the sound on the tv? Are you kidding? Everytime I think I should buy one yet another hilarious non tested "feature" arrives

He means the sound comes out of the GP2X speakers as well as the TV.

Back