Firmware Update

My 1gb card works fine, I ordered it from gbax at the same time I got gp2x. If mine didn't work I'd be able to send it back. I use a 64mb SD card for upgrading my firmware on my gp2x. U can get one of those pretty cheap. I would like to know what cards do work now with the firmware fix, the firmware fix sounds to me like it makes the current SD cards that work play the videos better.

Probably does exactly what it says on the GP32x archive, but from what I've seen so far (not very far)

- Change of the intro screen; maybe a couple of seconds faster loadup, but I haven't timed it
- Battery LED is off (may turn on, for all I know, if the battery hits low, but as yet, nope)
- Screen now doesn't have diagonal lines on it when the entire screen is having to be re-rendered or on black backgrounds as it used to (although I am noticing more "scanline"-esque artifacts horizontally if you waggle the unit up and down rather than holding it steady - could just be batteries running low, though)
- More volume options on the video player (8 graphically - not 10 unless there aren't pics for them).
- Probably *some* updates to the MP3 player and/or the E-Book viewer, seeing as their proggies are included in the zip - haven't figured out what those updates do though.

- Screen now doesn't have diagonal lines on it when the entire screen is having to be re-rendered or on black backgrounds as it used to
Yes, I'm (not?) seeing this too, and I think this alone was well worth the update. I was getting constant wavy diagonal interference lines.

(although I am noticing more "scanline"-esque artifacts horizontally if you waggle the unit up and down rather than holding it steady - could just be batteries running low, though)
I've noticed that too slightly, but my screen was doing that to a small degree before the update as well, so I don't care too much. :)

I am noticing a slightly increased overall flickering of the screen, but at least it's uniform. The random wavy lines were really offputting. Overall, a good update, I think!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's my thoughts... If I were to take a random guess, I'd say that before it wasn't double buffering (hence only weird lines when the whole screen was updating), and now it is, but it's only rendering every other line each pass (TV-style)... will be interesting to see if there is any additional ghosting in high action thingamies (e.g. Quake).

EDIT: Or maybe double buffering's the wrong phrase. But something along those lines anyway...

I cant update and I dont have the money for a new SD card :(
me neither. It is seriously fucked up.
and its not as if they can release a new firmware to fix the fact that firmware updates will not work on my SD card.
32MB SD cards are $4.99 locally...
I already have a 64mb card. That doesnt work either.

What am I supposed to do? Just keep buying random cards and returning them if/when they don't work?

I guess I am just frustrated at the situation. Having heard reports of it being the Card reader for some and the card brand/size for others.... It's annoying not knowing which is causing the issue for me.

Interesting...so most units seem to flicker more after the update? I think it's power related. Maybe voltage fluctuations could cause the screen flickering. Or the soldering on the battery connectors. Anyone else had these thoughts? And what happens if you use an external power supply?

Could possibly also be the fault of the original screen manufacturer. Interesting read here.

Not so much flicker as if you tilt the unit one way or another, it looks like a TV in terms of strong-weaker-strong scanlineage. If the unit is heald even remotely steady there's just a crystal clear picture (at last :) ).

Here's a log of my experience and the steps I took:

SD card: SanDisk 1GB

I had been messing around with my gp2x for a while, installing software that didn't work, failing to install libraries and what not. after reading horror storries about the firmware upgrade, I decided to try it anyhow.

I unzipped the firmware files ino the root dir on my SanDisk card, not deleting any of the files there.

Booting my GP2X, nothing happened, apart from the img files being deleted.

I deleted all the files, including the things there, tried again, same thing happened, no upgrade.

3rd try, I reformatted the SD with FAT32 (did not use quick format) then tried again.

I got the Firmware Update screen. Ran the patch file. And the SDL libraries installed for the first time, now everything seems to be working fine, I've got stereo music, video hasn't frozen yet, games work, and photos still pop up like they did, though there's weird cropping going on, the viewer needs a way to zoom in and out.

Problems that I've heard of: SD cards not working (try reformatting them to FAT32, or begging a friend who has a card you can borrow.) patch turning video to green... DO NOT INSTALL THE PATCH UNLESS THE FIRMWARE UPDATES, that's what breaks the video playback, once the firmware installs properly, that will fix itself.

The interface still needs a little work, but the thing seems to be working much better after 1.01

32MB SD cards are $4.99 locally...

32MB cards can't be formatted in FAT32, which is needed for firmware updates! You need 64MB minimum. I bought a 128MB for $15.99 at target saturday.
There's no lower limit on partitions for any FAT fs iirc, only a upper limit.

Tell that to Windows XP's command line:

C:\Documents and Settings\DijiTao>format i: /FS:FAT32 /V:TINYCARD
Insert new disk for drive I:
and press ENTER when ready...
The type of the file system is FAT.
The new file system is FAT32.
Verifying 15M
The volume is too small for FAT32.

I'm trying to get a 16mb MMC card working since my 2gb isn't going to happen.

I found my problem getting the firmware updated... I had to follow this procedure.

Copy all update files to my SD card.
In XP, tell the file explorer to eject the card to make sure it finished writing out the buffers to the card.
Insert the card into the GP2x while still powered on.
Turn off the GP2x.
Turn the GP2x back on.

This was the only way I could get the GP to recognize there was a card installed.

The step above about ejecting the card through file explorer I found is pretty important. If I didn't do that step, not all of the files were written to the card.

Igboo

Back