Finalizing everything!

actually 3G in europe goes to 7Mbps , and technically 3G can go up to 100Mbps fullduplex
telcos just dont want you to stick to tech , you need to upgrade or you would never buy a new device
[doublepost=1461859275,1461857834][/doublepost](and fyi, 19 minutes for 1GB data on 3G 7Mbps)

actually 3G in europe goes to 7Mbps , and technically 3G can go up to 100Mbps fullduplex
telcos just dont want you to stick to tech , you need to upgrade or you would never buy a new device
[doublepost=1461859275,1461857834][/doublepost](and fyi, 19 minutes for 1GB data on 3G 7Mbps)
Sorry but this is full of missinformation...

PayPal is a daughter company of the J.P.Morgan Chase Bank, the same one that handles the US government finances, so of course it's all about American politics and who's currently on the list of "rogue states".

First, I don't think it has anything to do with "rogue" states. As an American, my papal has been blocked several times over the past however many years I've been using it for no discernible reason. I think PayPal is just crap in that regard all around.

I also seem to recall J.P. Morgan/Chase fighting PayPal... Not sure how they are a daughter company of them...

With 4G, in a 15 minute walk through an airport (strong coverage) I can download 13.5 Gb ~ 1.6 GB.
With 3G, in a 15 minute walk through an airport (strong coverage) I can download 0.05 GB.
That may be true, but I can't afford to make that sort of journey very often. Most of the contracts I've looked at top out at about 16GB a month, so I'd be burning through my contract every 15 minutes and off into the silly money excess data rates. Even on my PAYG SIM which has a reasonable data rate as standard, 13.5GB would cost me 0.03*13500MB=405GBP. I could fly halfway round the world for that, or buy a new Pyra every half an hour or so.

Safe to say whatever unit I end up buying, I'll be downloading big packages or video to watch later on wifi before I travel.

Last edited:
I don't know where you live. I work at Telecom operators in Europe. The general consensus is that 3G will die before 2G. Of course this is not going to happen overnight but if you want to keep your Pyra 8+ years, this must be in your mind as well. In 2024, the 3G network might be the low-coverage one.

I have heard that networks are looking to utilize certain 3G bands for 4G. Honestly with how little telecoms in general improve their infrastructure I think we will be waiting a loooong time before that actually happens
[doublepost=1461872511,1461872349][/doublepost]
4G data is 30 times faster than 3G data. 3G data speeds are generally adequate for streaming audio, but not video.

4G is a viable way to sync up your mobile device data on the go. 3G is not.
With 4G, in a 15 minute walk through an airport (strong coverage) I can download 13.5 Gb ~ 1.6 GB.
With 3G, in a 15 minute walk through an airport (strong coverage) I can download 0.05 GB.

Not true at all.

I have never had a 4G phone, I get about 2.0 MB/s download on 3G. More than enough for any data use. A typical tv torrent finishes in under 10min
[doublepost=1461872733][/doublepost]
which part you attacking?

HSOPA not able of 100Mbps FDX?
or HSDPA not being 7Mbps?

And yeah, 7Mbps means 1GB in 19 minutes .. do the math ;)

Thanks, some people are very much underplaying the capability of 3G. I will be sticking with 3G as I get unlimited data with it. 4G is capped at something pathetic like 15-20GB, with overage charges.

So I'm getting it that it's not still 100% on the 4g capability. The MOQ has yet to sorted.
It's not a deal breaker for me but I would like 4g. May the 1st is so close now I can almost taste it... yum, burp etc.

Is it true that the 4G module must be soldered on? Can that be changed somehow? It seems a likely candidate for upgrading, and many people will likely want to swap between US and EU modules...

Isn't Bitcoin going to be accepted? That would almost seem like a no-brainer these days, and can be used from anywhere.
Oh, the irony... Luke Jr comes here and advocates for bitcoin, while simultaneously working for Blockstream and doing everything possible to make bitcoin unusable.

Oh, the irony... Luke Jr comes here and advocates for bitcoin, while simultaneously working for Blockstream and doing everything possible to make bitcoin unusable.
I looked up Blockstream and I'm confused, it seems like a good thing to me. How is it going to ruin Bitcoin?

No, I said I needed a new one, not an old one.

Ahh - OK. So you WANT a new phone. I interpret 'need' as, "My phone broke and I'm boned if I can't get something working in the meantime while I wait for the Pyra to come and then wait for telephony software to be written for it, which could be 6 months from now before it's ready to be used as a 'phone'."

Just different definitions of 'need' I guess.

I looked up Blockstream and I'm confused, it seems like a good thing to me. How is it going to ruin Bitcoin?

It's a long story, but the short summary is: Blockstream got $76 million USD from venture capitalists with a vague business model of trying to monopolize the bitcoin space. They hired software developers, bitcoin miners, forum moderators, and anyone influential in bitcoin. At first, people thought it was great to have all this VC money pouring into bitcoin, but Blockstream started becoming rather abusive with all the influence they bought. They paid reddit moderators to delete any posts that they regarded as competition. There have been accusations that their affiliates are DDoSing perceived competitors. They have been paying bitcoin miners to enforce capacity limits with the goal of clogging up the bitcoin network, with the idea that in the future Blockstream can sell access to their side network that avoids these capacity problems. Pretty much everyone hates Blockstream now, but a lot of influential people are on their payroll, and go along with whatever Blocksteam wants.

It's a long story, but the short summary is: Blockstream got $76 million USD from venture capitalists with a vague business model of trying to monopolize the bitcoin space. They hired software developers, bitcoin miners, forum moderators, and anyone influential in bitcoin. At first, people thought it was great to have all this VC money pouring into bitcoin, but Blockstream started becoming rather abusive with all the influence they bought. They paid reddit moderators to delete any posts that they regarded as competition. There have been accusations that their affiliates are DDoSing perceived competitors. They have been paying bitcoin miners to enforce capacity limits with the goal of clogging up the bitcoin network, with the idea that in the future Blockstream can sell access to their side network that avoids these capacity problems. Pretty much everyone hates Blockstream now, but a lot of influential people are on their payroll, and go along with whatever Blocksteam wants.
Oh. Well that sucks.

Reactions: rSl
First, I don't think it has anything to do with "rogue" states. As an American, my papal has been blocked several times over the past however many years I've been using it for no discernible reason. I think PayPal is just crap in that regard all around.

I also seem to recall J.P. Morgan/Chase fighting PayPal... Not sure how they are a daughter company of them...
Strange, I've read about it some years ago but now I can't find anything about it.
eBay (and therefore also at least formerly PayPal) is using JP Morgan for their system as it seems and their companies worth is also estimated by JP Morgan, maybe it had something to do with those connections.

Only one night, than 4 Hours at work, then the rest of saturday and then another night
And then whe have preeorderday :)

One Thing i ask me yet:
Whe preeorder at Sunday, but nothing was said about collors..

So do i preeorder my Pyra whitout CollorWish and then its a surprise which collor i get ??
Or get whe in first batch a special edition in transparent??

I agree with Matzesu I wish ED would comment on colours. I don't need a promise or anything even a "We're not sure how that is going to work" or "we have a plan" would be nice.

I'm going to preorder regardless. It's just his silence on the issue is deafening.

Back