Updates in all areas, spiced with case renders

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Binky

Binky Death's Steed Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016
    FBnil likes this.
  2. codifies

codifies Very Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016
  3. comradekingu

comradekingu Glowing ember

How about http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/broadcom-introduces-industrys-first-5g-wifi-combo-chip-with-real-simultaneous-dual-band-support-300043086.html   From Broadcom

http://www.broadcom.com/press/release.php?id=s899152 (Press release)

for Wifi/BT

BCM4359 is said to be functional on some level here http://www.anandtech.com/show/9035/broadcom-at-mwc-2015-bcm4359-and-bcm4355-wifi-combo-chips-announced

It can be connected over SDIO (allthough PCI-e is the preferable option if thats available)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
  4. slaeshjag

slaeshjag ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Has anyone ever used broadcock wifi stuff in linux and had it working properly? I've only heard bad things about them.

5. frefol

frefol Member

I had a Broadcom wifi card in my netbook and it worked perfectly in Linux.  It worked way better than the 3DSP card I replaced.

6. codifies

My experience with broadcom stuff has been 50/50 (one working one not) but then if you are a hardware developer with at least a plausable few thousand possible sales you are likely to get better support than some lone guy battering his head against his laptop...

7. PowerGod

PowerGod Advanced Member

I always had to use Windows drivers for Broadcom stuffs on Linux, but them worked.

8. comradekingu

comradekingu Glowing ember

It was shit back in the day, now its quite good. Im rocking broadcom 1000Mbit NIC with iPXE

9. szr

szr Member

I just rewatched the film to be sure and if you mean the laptop he's using towards the end at the phone booths, it looksk rather plain black/dark-grey Mac laptop of the era. Maybe you were thinking of the transparent laptop the Acid Burn had? That one stood out much more than any others and is what ED's transparent render reminds me of :)

10. codifies

i'm guessing that maybe you don't mean like this ?

11. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

http://starringthecomputer.com/appearance.html?f=133&c=21

As seen in the last 2 pics at the bottom of the page (or did someone already clarify?).

12. JakDanyelz

JakDanyelz Guest

Has there ever been any plans of integrating a camera? If so, would the hardware be capable of running Skype on it smoothly?

13. Hồng Thất Công

Hồng Thất Công Đả Cẩu Bổng Pháp

14. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

Hardware is theoretically capable of running skype via some x86 emulator. There is not going to be a camera but webcams are cheap and small these days.

15. TrashyMG

TrashyMG Sarcasm Dispenser Staff Member

There may have been some thought of putting one in, but the idea was unanimously shot down by the community. Skype it's possible perhaps to run the X86 linux version with some kind of emulation layer like Exagear Desktop. Running it on Android may also be possible, but there is currently no plans of having a port of Android for the Pyra.

16. JakDanyelz

JakDanyelz Guest

Ok thanks guys

17. szr

szr Member

Didn't there a build of Android that ran as an program with the OS on the Pandora? I know I've seen it in some Pandora videos before. Why wouldn't the Pyra have this also available?

18. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

Keep in mind the difference between officially supported and community supported.  

19. codifies

Frankly if I wanted android I'd stick with my more powerful tablet...

But let's face it yherez a bunch of stuff you just can't do comfortably with the chocolate factory spyware os

With "real" Linux on the go development is so much easier, add to that not having to suffer a virtual keyboard and when my s2 finally dies a nice feature free, calls and SMS only phone will probably replace it...

20. Neelix

Neelix Insecticidal Maniac

Good luck with that...  I haven't seen any phones available that weren't touch-screen based in some time...

- Neelix