Beta Appstore Testing (Again)

Code:
<title>Pandora AppStore - Main Page</title> 

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
That can't be right.
There's some other problems with xhtml compliance, too, e.g. not all html attributes are enclosed in quotes when viewing a game.

I was able to register the username "<tags" - which breaks stuff.
I noticed that it did some crude stripping of tags at registration time, but properly escaping all user input whenever shown is much preferable.

When we press the Comment button, it send "Enter comment / youtube link (max 140 chars)"
Comment button can send empty comm too.

rating up/down might be available only once a day/week/other...
Advanced search in section instead of searching everywhere

When we press the Comment button, it send "Enter comment / youtube link (max 140 chars)"
Comment button can send empty comm too.

rating up/down might be available only once a day/week/other...
Advanced search in section instead of searching everywhere

Here's my findings, tested on an iPhone. My n810's dead, so I'll test with it when I get to charge it.

-You mentioned that it's designed for Pandora/iPhone res, so I'll say this: there's a black stripe on the right side when using safari; in other words it's not wide enough.
-If you click on the "user video/review button," it just goes to the video page, is this intended when there are no user videos or reviews?
-Also, shouldn't the videos not be youtube, since the Pandora can't do flash (yet)?
-I don't think the text you type in the search box should be in italics, it looks weird (nitpick), and I think maybe "my account" should go above the search box, or maybe the search box should go at the top. (hard to imagine it though, it might look the best where it is.)
-If search finds nothing, I think it should tell the user something to that effect, right now it is just blank where the results should be.
-The filters on the top rated, etc. don't seem to work.
-Just an idea, perhaps filters could be changed to: big text saying "Filters:" at the top, then some big check boxes next to the filter names, and you can check more than one to narrow it down further (example use case: check the "top rated" and "new uploads" filters to see what the top rated new uploads are.)
-When you sign up, it doesn't check the email for legit-ness (@ symbol, .org/.com/etc.), and I think it should also send a confirmation email.
-Also, if you do something wrong when signing up (like not enough chars in username or something), the error message page is randomly on a white background, with very tiny text for a small screen, I think this should be changed.
-I couldn't download any files in safari (it's a jailbroken iPhone and CAN download), but it's probable this is just the browser's fault.
-When you click to download something and get the message saying that the download will commence in 3 seconds and so on, the text is too close to the sidebar; I think it needs to be moved over to the right a little bit.
-In the comments, when you click to vote a comment down, it goes to an "object not found" page.

Well, there you go, hope it helps some.
Sorry if I repeated something someone else said, I didn't have time to read the whole thread first.

EDIT: Fixed some typos.

Might have already been mentioned but 'click to deactivate' on the filters only seems to work on 'Games' and 'Emulators' filters and not on 'applications' and 'misc.' filters.

Multiplex said:
I was able to register the username "<tags" - which breaks stuff.
I noticed that it did some crude stripping of tags at registration time, but properly escaping all user input whenever shown is much preferable.

That's the stuff!

(should be fixed, but I loved the error).

Last edited by a moderator:
Other observations:

'Rate App' would be nicer as a mouseover effect on the actual stars type thing as opposed to a drop-down box, but that's not really an issue.

Clicking 'comment' without typing anything submits a comment reading: "Enter comment / youtube link (max 140 chars)".

When switching tabs from screenshot to video etc. the 'screenshot' remains highlighted where it should display the effect on 'video' to show users where they are.

It won't be an issue when there's more uploads, but when displaying 16 most recent uploads, even blank boxes become clickable, which seems a bit weird, but yeah non-issue.

I agree with others that an email confirmation would be a good idea.

Other than that I don't think I noticed any more problems. It's looking really nice, and will be amazing when it's full of community games :D

Interesting Firefox zoomout effect on the page: (I tried it to see it closer to the size it will be on a Pandora screen, I don't have any Iphones or Nokia N800's :p)

96ggvc.jpg

Attachments

• 96ggvc.jpg
    96ggvc.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 111
I'll put a 30 second timer on the comments in the morning.

I've given Ed upload access and will be approving a few more people too so we can do some uploading.

I'm torn on also having the uploads needing to be approved too before they appear on the site.

I might have a direct link possible before they go public, so people can say 'it's uploaded, here is the url, but it's not public approved yet'.

This allows people to get at files right away, but protects the archive and general users from them if they turn out to be bad, so minimal damage.

Searching for an html tag makes the search box go crazy. Searching for "<html>" makes it say search must be at least three characters. Searching for "
HTML:
", though gives the entire site as proper results. Also, ratings don't show on search results.

Site is a nice simple design, btw!

when viewing an app you can choose one of 3 tabs:
* Screenshot
* Video
* User Video/Reviews

When selecting Video or User Video, the "Screenshot" tab stays highlighted.

The password check is weak, it only requires a min of 4 characters.
I was able to register a username and select a password that matched the username.

I registered a username containing & and $, but was unable to login.

Also, you should add a link so the user can obtain a forgotten username or password when logging in.

Ok I was finally able to login after creating 3 accounts. Craig can you add support for capital letters in your nick. Or atleast making capital letters normal letters. Cause if you type in a capital letter in nick or in password then your screwed.

EDIT:

I need to PM you or ED on the boards for permission? Wtf I thought your inbox was full

EDIT2:

If you press new uploads. You can click Show the Most Popular, Top Rated etc. but it doesnt work. It doesnt even load a new page.

EDIT3:

Im born in britian in 1982?

craigix said:
I'm torn on also having the uploads needing to be approved too before they appear on the site.

I might have a direct link possible before they go public, so people can say 'it's uploaded, here is the url, but it's not public approved yet'.

This allows people to get at files right away, but protects the archive and general users from them if they turn out to be bad, so minimal damage.
That sounds good but I think there should be a warning given out to people for downloading things that are pending for approvement. You could also make it so no one can pay for unapproved content, just to be on the safe side. People should still be able to download updated versions of apps they have already paid for.

As for user names it feels so outdated to not allow uppercase letters or spaces. I think you should allow a-z, A-Z, 0-9, "_", "-" and " ". You should always remove spaces before and after, and make sure people cannot repeat the special characters (it may be annoying with people doing "___" (3) and "____" (4) etc). What you do in your code is that you always use a lowercase version of the user name to make sure people cannot register with both. You could even store the lowercase version of the name in your database and only use the normal one for displaying it.

I think the requesting upload priviledges is a bit sudden. Just a click here and its done. I was expecting a confirmation an are you sure button or something.

Another thing why does the "free" dissapear when you are in the video or user review tab

i'm really hoping Craig will fix the HTML validation lol makes it look like a can't code html :/ lol i have nagged :p

if we choose mod approval or favour user validation both will do the same job really and tbh there wont be the super influx of uploads untill the first batch is fully out.
also moderator validation will get annoying for users who need to do a quick update of a file.

in regards to firefox zooming. its not a feature that you will really be using on the pandora :p ... anyway i could fix this

the mouse over effect for the stars is a good idea however im not sure how to impliment it.

Craig notes:
i would like the video pages to look like this really (if we allow more than one video) http://www.trevsweb.com/pandainterface/demo3/item00001vid.html
also the top rated list would love it to look like this instead http://www.trevsweb.com/pandainterface/demo3/latestuploads.html gets more into the page.

I wanna join in on the fun, too. I bet much of this has already been found but here you go.

- The alt attribute of the thumbnails is "apppage", should be something meaningful (just plugging in the item's title would be much better).
- The "remove" and "vote down" buttons on the comment pages all have the alt text "remove" and no title attribute. Setting a proper alt text is strongly recommended; settig a proper title might help people who don't intuitively understand the meaning behind either of the icons.
- votedown.pl does not exist. (Okay, you ought to know this one already.)
- Attempting to enter a mass of Unicode modifier characters attached to a few letters got me a blank page saying "Sorry(Overflow)". My string had 81 characters in total for a size of 152 bytes. The site's handling of Unicode comments ought to be investigated as the number of characters and the length of the string aren't the same with most Unicode mappings, especially UTF-8. This can become an issue if a non-English version of the site is launched.
- Posting a shortened version of the same string resulted in some of the modifier characters turning into small squares even though my browser can normally render them, suggesting that part of the string was somehow mangled. My comment is attached to C-Dogs; if you want the file I copied the original string out of I can provide it.
- Choosing a username of "&nbsp;" allowed me to effectively have an empty username.
- Entering any reply with said user caused the server go return an HTTP 500 (internal server error), complaining about "Premature end of script headers: comment.pl". Trying to go to the "My Account" page automatically logged me out.
- Likewise, entering a password of "&nbsp;" allowed me to create a user I can't log into.
- The error message for insufficiently long comments is not helpful and rips the user out of the site proper. Instead of a white page saying "Your comment is too short. <minimal length of comment - actual length>" there should be a properly styled site telling the user in full sentences that the comment is to short and how long a proper comment ought to be.
- The same applies to the "username or password incorrect" page. while the error message is fine, error pages should have appropriate styling.
- Attempting to access http://icontrolpad.com/cgi-bin/viewapp.pl?/Game/ gives an error saying that the file "me/" does not exist. Variations show that the error message only shows the last three characters of the missing file.
- It's possible to gain information about higher-level directories using viewapp.pl. ".." is considered a valid part of a given path; this can be used to access directories one shouldn't (even though I was able to only confirm that you can, not what you can do with it). ".." should be filtered out just to make sure; it shouldn't come up with legitimate requests.

j6cubic said:
I wanna join in on the fun, too. I bet much of this has already been found but here you go.

- The alt attribute of the thumbnails is "apppage", should be something meaningful (just plugging in the item's title would be much better).
- The "remove" and "vote down" buttons on the comment pages all have the alt text "remove" and no title attribute. Setting a proper alt text is strongly recommended; settig a proper title might help people who don't intuitively understand the meaning behind either of the icons.

both of these are very useful i will get craig onto that :) thanks

Fiddled around a bit, Looks great! Hope you fix all the things reported CraigX.
Btw, are you going to implent HTML 5 video? Guess not because it would eat lot of harddrive and bandwith.

Back