Release SuperZaxxon - Beta 3 released

Just wanted to thank Da_Mummy and Cloudef for the 8192cu driver. The one included works after installing the firmware for the rtl8192cu device, but is extremely unstable for me. The 8192cu works way better.

(Is it correct that the difference between the two is that the 8192cu one is from realtek themselves while the rtl1829cu is part of the kernel?)

That's not the reason you have high battery drain (if you really have it), the CPU is fully stopped when idle regardless of it's clock.

What do you get if you do 'cat /sys/class/power_supply/bq27500-0/current_now' on lowest brightness with wifi off?

with screen at one step below minimum i'm getting -308000 ~ -351000

with screen brightness off/lowest possible I got -286000

full brightness -429000

I was stabbing in the dark with the cpu usage.... this based off the only response I got in regards to my problem saying cpu usage could be the cause

Last edited by a moderator:
Something is eating 100-150amps on you. With my CPU idle and screen brightness at 4 (lowest it can go without acting weird), I get -150. Screen at full brightness, I get -330. Screen off, just -120.

Are you 100% certain your USB host isn't on? Type "rmmod ehci-hcd" just to be sure?

Something is eating 100-150amps on you. With my CPU idle and screen brightness at 4 (lowest it can go without acting weird), I get -150. Screen at full brightness, I get -330. Screen off, just -120.

Are you 100% certain your USB host isn't on? Type "rmmod ehci-hcd" just to be sure?
ehci_hcd does not exist in /proc/modules

no sd card in slot

If you are sure wifi is not on (try rmmod wl1251_sdio wl1251), and 'top' doesn't show anything eating the CPU, then most likely something is wrong with the board..

One more thing I can think of is very old bootloader that doesn't init wifi properly, which causes it to drain power even when pandora is off. Turning wifi on for a bit and then off should snap it out of it if that's the case.

EDIT: one last possibility is PMIC getting into weird state, removing battery fof 10 minutes should get it back to normal.

If you are sure wifi is not on (try rmmod wl1251_sdio wl1251), and 'top' doesn't show anything eating the CPU, then most likely something is wrong with the board..

One more thing I can think of is very old bootloader that doesn't init wifi properly, which causes it to drain power even when pandora is off. Turning wifi on for a bit and then off should snap it out of it if that's the case.

EDIT: one last possibility is PMIC getting into weird state, removing battery fof 10 minutes should get it back to normal.

module wl1251_sdio does not exist in /proc/modules

module wl1251 does not exist in /proc/modules

this is a "no-wifi" pandora that the wifi works on 3.x and not on 2.x

I think I've taken the battery off for more than an hour before previously, but I will try agian

EDIT: same after 20 min with battery removed

I've power cycled the wifi and I get the same results

Could be an issue with the WiFi module.

If it's a non-Wifi Pandora, the WiFi module has issues - it might be it eats power without doing much.

well that sucks, is there anything I can do to fix this, physically remove a part or buy a replacement board... if so how much?

no wifi is something I can deal with no problem... but constant power drain is something else I wouldn't have agreed to

EDIT: feel free to split this part of the conversation off to support, don't want to derail from real bug reports

Well... it could probably be the WiFi module that would need to be physically removed.

Not easy if you are not experienced with soldering.

Hi,

External USB is broken for me: no external drive is ever detected (I tried 3 different) in either kernel. I also had the Pandora corrupt my nand (can't boot anymore and will have to reflash firware) when attemting to go to power saving mode with AAAA running (the pandora got stuck and I had to force it off by removing the battery).

I am very disappointed at the quality of this B3, especially since B2 was a very stable release. Being a professional developer, I like when terminology is proper. In my opinion, this is not a beta release, but an alpha build, way too many things are broken or unstable to call it beta at any rate. Beta theoritically means that the build is stable and reliable enough to be usable by the general public, and only non-critical bugs remain (and no severe data corruption can occur). This does not apply to B3 unfortunately.

I think you guys are trying to go too fast by pushing the 3.2 kernel as default. For instance Ubuntu is still on 3.0.x kernels. From 2.6 to 3.2 is a BIG leap, I don't really think the added value is interesting unless the whole OS is revamped.

Sorry for the rambling, but I feel a tad angry right now.

The 3.2 Kernel was choosen, as it supports the omap powersaving features. I think this alone makes it the choice over a 3.0, which really doesn't add anything interesting.

I understand this, but the old power saving mode was not so bad IMO. I'm currently reflashing B2 and will stick to it for a while ;)

Hi,

External USB is broken for me: no external drive is ever detected (I tried 3 different) in either kernel. I also had the Pandora corrupt my nand (can't boot anymore and will have to reflash firware) when attemting to go to power saving mode with AAAA running (the pandora got stuck and I had to force it off by removing the battery).

AFAIK you have to run some command line to enable the USB, its not broken just not enabled. again, if i recall correctly this was to help with power saving. A quick search around for enabling external wifi will help you find the topic i think

the USB is only turned off by default in the new kernal, as it's quite a draw on battery life evn when idle. It should still work as normal under the old kernal. Is it possibly that your external drives are drawing too much power for the Pandora to handle? Do you have a powered USB hub you could try attach them through?

True, B3 is more intact than B2.

USB toggle will be included in B4 (also: enable USB on startup, even though it needs more power), and you can easily boot to the old kernel using the boot menu on B3, so there's no real reason to reflash to B2.

You could also change the autoboot.txt to boot to the old 2.6 as default. I also plan to implement a "select default kernel" option into B4.

There are some small bugs left in the 3.2 kernel, but those aren't that many.

Back