Beta Appstore Testing (Again)

I was in last time and still have the URL :) So do many others (20 people or so) so I'd just like to make that clear to everyone; don't join because you think that there are too few testers.

And yeah I'm of course in for the second round too.

What would we need to do? I'm interested in testing, but I don't want to take away a spot from someone else if it's something that I can't do.

-God Ginrai

I'll do what I can :)

-Brad Cable (were we wanting real names or something?)

God Ginrai said:
What would we need to do? I'm interested in testing, but I don't want to take away a spot from someone else if it's something that I can't do.

-God Ginrai

Most people here, when they try something new, digitally, they just know what places to avoid because they could be buggy. Just go there and use it extensively :p otherwise just try each and every option there is and note if something does not do what you expected, and what you did just before that.

Last edited by a moderator:
MarkoeZ said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai

Most people here, when they try something new, digitally, they just know what places to avoid because they could be buggy. Just go there and use it extensively :p otherwise just try each and every option there is and note if something does not do what you expected, and what you did just before that.
This, and also: try to *really* abuse the software as much as possible. Does the password field require a minimum password length? Input a 1000 character password. Does the image upload site allow for any image format? Upload a 500 MB SVG image filled with a huge amount of spaces (so that the file compresses while its being transfered) and see how long it takes for the server to run out of memory. Try to break all the rules, go in the exact opposite direction that is expected from you. The more ways you can change something, the better. Use tools to edit your web requests for more mayhem (try the following Firefox extensions: Tamper Data, Web Developer, FireBug). Etc. Most of all, be creative.

I'd like to help. I can test it on my n810 and iPhone too, to see what it's like on a limited device, if that'd be useful. GMT-6, btw, and time zones confuse me, so I don't know when your "night" is.

Here are some problems/observations I noticed so far:

- During registration, it should ask the user to confirm the password.
- All files I tried to download are size 0. Is that intentional?
- The "votedown" on comments does not work (opens error page)
- Why does the download start after 3 seconds? Why not immediately?
- It would be nice if the site expanded to the browser window size instead of having a fixed layout.
- The rounded "Top Rated"/"New Uploads" banners look out of place.

Alec  said:
Here are some problems/observations I noticed so far:

- During registration, it should ask the user to confirm the password.
- All files I tried to download are size 0. Is that intentional?
- The "votedown" on comments does not work (opens error page)
- Why does the download start after 3 seconds? Why not immediately?
- It would be nice if the site expanded to the browser window size instead of having a fixed layout.
- The rounded "Top Rated"/"New Uploads" banners look out of place.

1) aye, I should do that.

2) Yep, the files are not real, they are just fake for now.

3) Yes, it's not active right now, you can also vote on an app forever, also because the downloads are not real, the download count does not go up.

4) The 3 second thing is a html standard when refreshing a page.

5) The layout is set for the Pandora res or the iphone res only. (it autodetects), there is no reason why it could not be bigger, but it's not really designed for a full size browser.

The registration does only check the length of the input string, but not the content. I just registerd an account with a username consisting of 4 whitespaces, a password consisting of 4 whitespaces and a mail address consisting of 4 whitespaces.

I personally think the app store would look better if it was centered and on a white background, especially on large monitor.

Original

Mock-up

That's just my opinion of course. BTW the site looks great on my nokia n800 and it should be the same on the Pandora.

I do like how the apps are arranged.

I just created an account...

Account Details:

* Nationality: United Kingdom
* Date of birth: 15/07/1984
* something else

Those were there "by default"... you're probably already aware of this (?)

When I rate an app it goes back the home page... I think it should stay on the same page.

I really need to get some sleep now...

chrysipp said:
The registration does only check the length of the input string, but not the content. I just registerd an account with a username consisting of 4 whitespaces, a password consisting of 4 whitespaces and a mail address consisting of 4 whitespaces.

Nice catch, I've now removed all spaces from usernames. I'll make sure it tells the user that too.

the black background will stay its hangover friendly lol.
Center maybe but not really aiming at a desktop user for this. Its usable but that wasn't the aim. I'll be working on stuff tomorrow so any graphics and style issues will be fixed :) point all html and code issues to craig.

Back