Release HotFix 5 - RC 1 ready for testing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright I couldn't resist, I reinstalled the hotfix and now wifi is working fine. I hope that error log I posted still helps figuring out what went wrong.

Yeah... the kernel hasn't been installed on the first time.

Broken bootf.tgz on the SD Card maybe.

The sleep problem came back though. I can successfully sleep once and wake it up, but if I sleep it a second time and wake it up, I can't use nubs, can't open apps, and restarting the Pandora freezes it.

So, it freezes completely if you sleep a second time? :eek:

I wonder if you updated NetworkManager from 0.8 to 0.8.1 if that would fix a lot of the WiFi issues?

I doubt it, most issues are already fixed and have nothing to do with network manager.

And in the case we had here, the kernel was not agreeing with the kernel modules, so he either had an old firmware with a recent kernel or vice versa on the Pandora.

Really love this HF so far; seems to work well for me :) .

I'm curious about this though:

Code:
* Added xdotool, a pretty useful and versatile app for mapping GUI functions to the keyboard

I couldn't find xdotool anywhere; is there something I'm missing here?

So, it freezes completely if you sleep a second time? :eek:

Woah weird it's not freezing anymore now that I read your question. You got some kind of magical fixing power! I swear I only had a one sleep maximum all this morning and afternoon. Well... I'm glad that's over. Back to enjoying my new toy! I'll keep you updated if it breaks again.

Code:
* Added xdotool, a pretty useful and versatile app for mapping GUI functions to the keyboard

xdotool is a command-line tool, you won't find it in any menu.

It offers functions to move windows, minimize them, etc. and do a lot of other things (open the XFCE menu, close it properly e.g.).

So it's now possible to define hotkeys that switch Windows, maximize them, etc., which is a nice thing for future firmware upgrades to make the whole thing more userfriendly.

[/CODE]

While i'm testing and taking notes, one thing drives me _mad_ :

In Xfce, when maintaining left click ~1 sec, a right click is simulated.

It's painful, even in vnc :/.

Searched in Xfce options, nothing there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having an interesting issue in Thunar where I lose the ability to click on subfolders. I've reset the nubs to make sure that it's not that, and this happens using the stylus as well.

If I limit myself to navigating using only the keyboard, I can browse through folders just fine. It's not restricted to the SD card, as this also happens with internal storage.

Also, Chromium and Arora eat up every last scrap of ram (literally, only KB left, and that's with only one to two tabs open). On a fresh boot, I can open up a terminal, run 'top', see that there's well over 100 megs of RAM free, open up either Chromium or Arora and watch as free RAM falls into oblivion. I tried clearing the cache and this made no difference. Are they supposed to use up that much memory? I've watched this happen even when the browser isn't doing anything but idling.

Midori doesn't exhibit this behavior.

Otherwise, everything still seems fine.

Advice?

While i'm testing and taking notes, one thing drives me _mad_ :

In Xfce, when maintaining left click ~1 sec, a right click is simulated.

It's painful even in vnc :/.

I thought that was quite a useful thing. It means you can right-click even when using the touchscreen to control the mouse. Still, I agree that it should be a configurable option somewhere :\

I'm having an interesting issue in Thunar where I lose the ability to click on subfolders. I've reset the nubs to make sure that it's not that, and this happens using the stylus as well.

If I limit myself to navigating using only the keyboard, I can browse through folders just fine. It's not restricted to the SD card, as this also happens with internal storage.

I too, have had the same problem with folder navigation, I have to close the current Thunar session and open another one to get the ability to navigate back. I have not found any solution for it yet.

edit: spelling.

Indeed useful for touchpad. Not for right nub as it already has buttons.

Plus the very slight imprecision of the nub, it brings randomness.

How are handled touchscreen and nubs ?

# ls /dev/input/

by-path event0 event1 event2 event3 event4 event5 js0 mice mouse0 mouse1 mouse2 touchscreen0 uinput

cat mouse0 : trapped touchscreen

cat mouse1 : trapped left nub

cat mouse1 : trapped right nub

I too, have had the same problem with folder navigation, I have to close the current Thunar session and open another one to get the ability to navigate back. I have not found any solution for it yet.

edit: spelling.

Hmm. That's interesting. Closing and reopening doesn't work for me as it repeats it's behavior within a couple of clicks. It will work if I go back to using the keyboard for navigation though.

Another UI bottleneck :

OP button is hard to click on and inside.

If i right click on it -- > Properties --> uncheck Show icons in menu : it's better.

When shipped, the stable firmware has disabled icons. Didn't notice this problem.

And when clicking in branches (Accessories, Graphics etc...) i often have to click twice to open the sub-submenu :( .

----Edit :

After further investigation, seems the OP menu should be some kind of "persistent in ram" for better access times.

Damn ! Icons are back althought they should not be ?!?!

Ok, re-deactivated, better but not yet 100% good.

I moved /etc/xdg/op/menus/* into /media/ram, but things aren't better.

Ooh this is so annoying !

Code:

xdotool is a command-line tool, you won't find it in any menu.

It offers functions to move windows, minimize them, etc. and do a lot of other things (open the XFCE menu, close it properly e.g.).

So it's now possible to define hotkeys that switch Windows, maximize them, etc., which is a nice thing for future firmware upgrades to make the whole thing more userfriendly.

Seems it does the same thing as wmctrl http://tomas.styblo.name/wmctrl/

sometimes the os does not boot into desktop (it boots past splashcreen) and hangs on black screen; have to reset by taking battery out;

OP VNC client trying to connect PC : no font found

I should have posted it here :

Code:
$ vncviewer 192.168.0.1:0

VNC viewer version 3.3.7 - built Jun 27 2010 18:17:45

Copyright © 2002-2003 RealVNC Ltd.

Copyright © 1994-2000 AT&T Laboratories Cambridge.

See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.

VNC server supports protocol version 3.8 (viewer 3.3)

No authentication needed

Desktop name "QEMU"

Connected to VNC server, using protocol version 3.3

VNC server default format:

32 bits per pixel.

Least significant byte first in each pixel.

True colour: max red 255 green 255 blue 255, shift red 16 green 8 blue 0

Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" to type FontStruct

Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font

Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font

Error: Aborting: no font found

On OP :

Code:
$ xlsfonts -fn "-*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"

xlsfonts: pattern "-*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" unmatched

$ xlsfonts -fn '-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1'

xlsfonts: pattern "-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1" unmatched

Code:
$ xset q|grep -i font

Font Path:

/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,built-ins

Font cache:

Server does not have the FontCache Extension

Mmmm... Nothing font-related in /etc/X11/xorg.conf...

opkg install font-bitstream-75dpi font-bitstream-100dpi font-bitstream-speedo

Added this with success :

Code:
Section "Files"

FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"

FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"

FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Speedo"

FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"

FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"

EndSection

Restarted X :

Code:
$ xlsfonts -fn "-*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"

-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--16-116-100-100-p-0-iso10646-1

-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--16-116-100-100-p-0-iso8859-1

-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--16-116-100-100-p-0-iso8859-10

-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--16-116-100-100-p-0-iso8859-13

-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--16-116-100-100-p-0-iso8859-14

-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--16-116-100-100-p-0-iso8859-15

-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--16-116-100-100-p-0-iso8859-2

-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--16-116-100-100-p-0-iso8859-3

-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--16-116-100-100-p-0-iso8859-4

-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--16-116-100-100-p-0-iso8859-9

$ xlsfonts -fn '-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1'

-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-1

-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-87-100-100-p-0-iso8859-1

Code:
$ xset q|grep -i font

Font Path:

/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Speedo,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,built-ins

Font cache:

Server does not have the FontCache Extension

It works !

Yipee ^^. Maybe ipkg was not necessary ?

Aaaarrh, seems vncviewer doen't not support -UseLocalCursor

Bad cursor synchronisation when connecting to a qemu

Usable in full screen.

Yep, it works also, but the cursor synchronisation is bad too.

I found a stable setting, playing around with mouse settings in OP and qemu. Stable under vncviewer and remmina.

Is it possible to let the final image have the directory /var/run/ppp hardcoded?

Reason is that (at least in my hand) this directory gets created when connecting with a 3g usb dongle, and hosts resolv.conf, while /var/run/resolv.conf becomes a symlink to /var/run/ppp/resolv.conf.

So far everything's ok. But: in the PanDebian application, in order to propagate resolv.conf to the Debian chroot, you need to bind /var/run/ppp from the chroot to the same directory from the original rootfs. And I didn't find how to do that in a simple way unless /var/run/ppp is already there, even before connecting with the dongle.

This way one can start PanDebian comfortably, then when needed can connect the dongle, and the new resolv.conf gets mirrored in the chroot environment. If /var/run/ppp isn't already there, nothing gets bound when starting PanDebian, and the only way to do would be first start 3g dongle connectivity, then start PanDebian.

I don't think hardcoding /var/run/ppp in the image may have any deleterious effect, so... please... :rolleyes:

Other explanations on the issue here.

Thanks, Ernesto

Have successfully reproduced the problem twice just now: if I turn on the Pandora, activate wifi, then put it to sleep, the system is entirely non-responsive upon waking to the point of needing reset by removing the battery. This is with a fresh install of the firmware, with the only changed being some display settings.

Edit: Unrelated to the issue above; is there anyplace yet to post requests for HF6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back