Release SuperZaxxon - Beta 3 released

Hi,

External USB is broken for me: no external drive is ever detected (I tried 3 different) in either kernel. I also had the Pandora corrupt my nand (can't boot anymore and will have to reflash firware) when attemting to go to power saving mode with AAAA running (the pandora got stuck and I had to force it off by removing the battery).

AFAIK you have to run some command line to enable the USB, its not broken just not enabled. again, if i recall correctly this was to help with power saving. A quick search around for enabling external wifi will help you find the topic i think

comands for enabling/disabling usb host in this post:

For instance Ubuntu is still on 3.0.x kernels.
Citing Ubuntu is a poor way to argue against migration. Ubuntu tries very hard to be all about ease-of-use, as such they hold back a lot of feature updates until they can be as fully proven stable as possible, well beyond what many people would consider reasonable*. They also have a lot of custom work, backporting fixes from later versions just so they can maintain stability. There's nothing necessarily wrong with how they do it, it works for them, but that by no means makes it the only right way of doing it.

*anecdotally, the mtp tools have a bug which prevents some tablets from working with Ubuntu. The bug was fixed 2 years ago upstream, but the version it was fixed in hasn't been deemed "stable" by whatever scale whoever checks these things measures. I tried compiling it myself, but it has a dependency on a later version of some other libraries that were updated upstream even longer ago.

Hi,

External USB is broken for me: no external drive is ever detected (I tried 3 different) in either kernel. I also had the Pandora corrupt my nand (can't boot anymore and will have to reflash firware) when attemting to go to power saving mode with AAAA running (the pandora got stuck and I had to force it off by removing the battery).

I am very disappointed at the quality of this B3, especially since B2 was a very stable release. Being a professional developer, I like when terminology is proper. In my opinion, this is not a beta release, but an alpha build, way too many things are broken or unstable to call it beta at any rate. Beta theoritically means that the build is stable and reliable enough to be usable by the general public, and only non-critical bugs remain (and no severe data corruption can occur). This does not apply to B3 unfortunately.

I think you guys are trying to go too fast by pushing the 3.2 kernel as default. For instance Ubuntu is still on 3.0.x kernels. From 2.6 to 3.2 is a BIG leap, I don't really think the added value is interesting unless the whole OS is revamped.

Sorry for the rambling, but I feel a tad angry right now.
Load usb:

sudo modprobe ehci-hcd

You don't have to be disappointed at the quality of this B3.

Ubuntu makers are free to do what they want, ie. sticking with an older kernel, or pushing stable scheduled releases "when it's not done" ^^.

The 3.x added value is huge.

I noticed someone mentioned that shutdown is broken, mine was working fine until 15 minutes ago, now i have the same issue, it hangs at the shut-down screen. The black bar loads completely, then nothing happens... only option is to reset.

Then i remembered i had just turned on start wifi on startup. I disabled it, reset and now shutdown works.

I reconfirmed this by enabling wifi on startup, and after a restart, viola shutdown hangs as described above.

Disabiling it again, shutdown is fixed, no need to restart

Just wanted to quickly mention I noticed my usb ethernet adapter doesn't work anymore in 3.2.

Happens to be a 9710:7830 MosChip Semiconductor MCS7830 10/100 Mbps Ethernet adapter

EDIT:seems a few posts above someone said external usb wasn't working for them. Might be my actual problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
An echo of a not-so-distant time

Comes willowing across the sand

And everything is green and submarine.

man, feeling pretty excited about this. i feel like the next beta, possibly including the zram stuff is just around the corner however so in the name of NAND love, everything sounds very great though

I noticed someone mentioned that shutdown is broken, mine was working fine until 15 minutes ago, now i have the same issue, it hangs at the shut-down screen. The black bar loads completely, then nothing happens... only option is to reset.

Then i remembered i had just turned on start wifi on startup. I disabled it, reset and now shutdown works.

I reconfirmed this by enabling wifi on startup, and after a restart, viola shutdown hangs as described above.

Disabiling it again, shutdown is fixed, no need to restart
That's useful report, thanks.

I setup Hotkeys for Terminal and Thunar under [settings][desktop][keyboard]

And they only don't work after a reboot. I asked around on IRC. They dont know. Any ideas?

Seems intermittent. This time I booted up after lunch and the Hotkeys work! ??

Late reply but the problem is upstream and is fixed in XFCE 4.8 whereas Zaxxon is based on 4.6. YARS will fix this in theory.

The fix for now, is to rename an XFCE settings file to a disabled version, so it isn't referred to when the Pandora boots up and that your own modified settings file with your preferred keyboard shortcuts gets loaded instead.

To do this:

Open a terminal anywhere

Type

Code:
sudo mv /etc/xdg/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop /etc/xdg/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop.disabled

Type 'exit' to leave the terminal and reboot.

You should no longer (or so rarely you wont ever notice) boot up, to find your keyboard shortcuts aren't working :)

To Notaz

Fuse emulator worked well in Hotfix5, then in hotfix6 failed and was returning to work well in hotfix6a4.

From Hotfix7 to SupperZaxxon Beta 3 fuse emulator has annoying constant ticking sound when play games.

Can you see that things changed because the audio still fails?

Fuse is one of the best emus for the pandora to me and this ticking sound is horrible.

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/6227-fuse-emulatorannoying-sound/

Thank you.

I setup Hotkeys for Terminal and Thunar under [settings][desktop][keyboard]

And they only don't work after a reboot. I asked around on IRC. They dont know. Any ideas?

Seems intermittent. This time I booted up after lunch and the Hotkeys work! ??

Late reply but the problem is upstream and is fixed in XFCE 4.8 whereas Zaxxon is based on 4.6. YARS will fix this in theory.

The fix for now, is to rename an XFCE settings file to a disabled version, so it isn't referred to when the Pandora boots up and that your own modified settings file with your preferred keyboard shortcuts gets loaded instead.

To do this:

Open a terminal anywhere

Type

Code:
sudo mv /etc/xdg/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop /etc/xdg/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop.disabled

Type 'exit' to leave the terminal and reboot.

You should no longer (or so rarely you wont ever notice) boot up, to find your keyboard shortcuts aren't working :)

Does not make sense but I tried it and so far, after 3 reboots - they are all still working. Thanks!

I accomplished the same by taking your advice but unchecking the [sessions&settings] checkbox in the same menu. After rebooting it is checked again but the problem "appears" resolved. Bad config file or something? maybe.

Thanks again.

Back