Shipping On The 4Th?

emil10001

I would like to strongly suggest having Faith get in touch with the paint company and make sure that they know that these cases will be picked up by UPS on Friday. You don't want to have to deal with excuses from a second company about the cases not being shipped on time, right? I wouldn't trust the mold company to ensure that the paint company gets this gets done on time.

SNESFAN

Retro game fanatic
Sugar_Kane said:
jb0yx said:
It's one thing to lie in order to get someone to buy something. That almost seems like normal business.

But they are lying after you bought it. I've beat people's asses before over doing shit like that, I've gotten MY ass beat for doing shit like that.

Someone needs to physically go down there and just watch them with a big stick, no excuses, no breaks, just finish.

When it's done, take your big stick, pallet of 10,000 cases, and the molds, get on the plane and just never look back.

I wouldn't want to be that guy. He would have to have balls of solid plutonium to threaten a stick beating to a factory of 1000 potential martial artists
dude that would be fucking epic.

ED bring your camera, and go roll on that Chinese factory, you, Craig, and mweston. Make sure to put it in the "makeing of" movie to go along with every shipped pandora. I'd buy 3

OpenPandora: the night of a million bajillion ninjas

Last edited by a moderator:

dgame

emil10001 said:
I would like to strongly suggest having Faith get in touch with the paint company and make sure that they know that these cases will be picked up by UPS on Friday. You don't want to have to deal with excuses from a second company about the cases not being shipped on time, right? I wouldn't trust the mold company to ensure that the paint company gets this gets done on time.

s7.JPG

WizardStan

Mega GP Mania
I'm pretty sure that if you think putting your Pandora in your mouth is a good idea, there's not a lot more damage the lead is going to do to you :p

SNESFAN

Retro game fanatic
WizardStan said:
I'm pretty sure that if you think putting your Pandora in your mouth is a good idea, there's not a lot more damage the lead is going to do to you :p
I thought you could soak lead in through the skin, and all types of bad things happen in the long term, birth defects, cancer crap like that?

Jourdy288

Sugar_Kane said:
Why do I get the impression that 'Entrance of the gladiators' is the factory managers favourite piece of music?
Because I had to... I'm sorry, but it was too good to pass up posting this song.

As for lead concerns, we'll have to get that checked it. If there is lead in the paint, how sealed is it?

WizardStan

Mega GP Mania
jb0yx said:
I thought you could soak lead in through the skin, and all types of bad things happen in the long term, birth defects, cancer crap like that?
Just so we're clear, I was just making a joke. Lead paint is bad. :)
When I was reading about it, the problem wasn't absorbing through the skin, or even eating the paint itself. The most common cause of lead poisoning was touching lead painted things and then eating something. Tiny particles of paint dust rub off onto your fingers which you then ingest, and over the course of months, or years, it builds up.

jottt

According to a post from ED somewhere the factory assured the paint is leadfree. Well. Of course they also assured a shipment by May 4th *ahem*

benji_stein

EvilDragon said:
Why does everyone think it has taken 3 months to produce 1000 cases?
The MOULD was finished with all the tweakings about early (see this entry).

The PRODUCTION of the 1000 cases took two days, AFAIR. The thing that took a while longer was doing tests painting the cases (while the volcano was errupting).

The only thing we have no idea is why it took them so long to start the painting (they didn't start until Friday).

Basically, 1000 cases can be produced and painted within a week if they really DO it.

Ok, I'll rephrase the question, as I'd first read it.
What has the factory ever done to make up believe they can create cases (not the moulds, but the final plastic products) as fast as this? They *claim* they can do it in a few days, but they never have. They've missed every single deadline they've promised us.

To me, that means one of a few possibilities:
1) We're lower on their priorities than they tell us, and despite promising to start "Tomorrow" they don't actually, and take several more days (weeks?) before they start.
2) They do start when they promise, but can't actually make the product as fast as they say they can.
3) Some combination of the above. Either way, they keep outright lying to us.

Until we've seen them go from can go from "We want to buy the remaining/another X cases" to "OK, they've shipped" (with confirmation), in a timeframe of on the order of 500 cases/day (they promised 1000/day), possibly adding a few days for painting (either overall, or per 500/1000), I don't believe that they can do it that fast. And if I don't believe it, I think making assumptions based on those estimates is unreasonable. What reason do we have to believe that they'll do it at the right speed for the rest of the cases?

I hate to do an I-told-you-so, but I did ask about this very concern (the extra delay from painting) about three weeks ago,, now:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52935-new-blog-post/page__view__findpost__p__840210
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52935-new-blog-post/page__view__findpost__p__840234
at which point we were supposed to have had all 1000 cases already made, just waiting on the decision of paint/no-paint. http://pandorapress.net/2010/04/15/all-dressed-up-and-everywhere-to-go/
So we get back to my 1/2/3 from above, with the paint. Which was it this time?

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
benji_stein said:
What has the factory ever done to make up believe they can create cases (not the moulds, but the final plastic products) as fast as this? They *claim* they can do it in a few days, but they never have. They've missed every single deadline they've promised us.

Two things:
1. They produced the 200 test cases within one afternoon (remember the picture with the hordes of case parts?)
2. THEY might be working slow - but they're using standard mould injection machines, and once they're setup, they work that fast. I don't think they bought extra lazy machines from the manufacturer ;)

Last edited:

benji_stein

EvilDragon said:
Two things:
1. They produced the 200 test cases within one afternoon (remember the picture with the hordes of case parts?)

Well, the way I remember it is that almost all of the pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mfk.pandora/MassProductionSamples
#
were of simple things - styluses, battery covers, shoulder buttons, and the like.

The exception (in my mind) was of the keyboard-holder pieces:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mfk.pandora/MassProductionSamples#5447731485285091666
but there were only about a dozen and a half of those (two pictures, but could be repeats), and for all we know, they could have been from earlier testing runs.

Moreover, I'm not sure how long it was between the "go" and the photos - I remember a few days, but can't look it up right now. If it took time, then maybe the production isn't as fast, if it was the same afternoon that they'd "promised" to do the run, then it's possible they started earlier for some reason (you never know).

If, in fact, it was the same afternoon that they got a green light, it's still possible that they already had the simple parts in quantity, because they might have run off some of those before the official approval, because the moulds were good, and didn't need changes.

Yes, I'm grasping at straws, but I've seen little to no reason to believe any estimates they've told us.

EvilDragon said:
2. THEY might be working slow - but they're using standard mould injection machines, and once they're setup, they work that fast. I don't think they bought extra lazy machines from the manufacturer ;)

I'm not familiar enough with IM machines to be able to comment on that. Maybe they're old, arthritic machines, instead? Maybe the complicated pieces need extra time to go through. Either way, not one of their estimates has been close to accurate. They've fallen through every time. And maybe it's not entirely them this time, but they also had said that the painting (or even silkscreening) was only supposed to take a day or two, and look at us now.

crade

jb0yx said:
WizardStan said:
I do not believe is soaks through your skin. On the other hand, obviously none of the problems attributed to lead based paint were on items that are intended to be put in ones mouth, so you might has well be arguing that it should be used on everything.

Edit typo

worzyl

jumpman said:
worzyl said:
EvilDragon said:
She told him that the cases had in fact been produced but the painting company (yep, it's a different company) couldn't paint it yet.

Just out of interest, is the company doing the painting the same ones who would of done the silkscreening?
Please, don't open that can of worms! :p

Chris

Ahhhh..heh heh! Sorry (point taken :) )

tyicepaws

Still Fresh
not to be mean but the definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting a different result

guess that makes us all a little crazy

crade

^ I have done that lots of times. Since there is absolutely no way to ensure that all the circumstances remain identical, I think expecting a different result is reasonable.

harig074

Still Fresh
EvilDragon said:
marshal said:
On the 7th ?? lol

And to imagine Craig said he intended to ship the first pandora today !!

Well, that was when we were told everything is produced and painted.
Now they're actually painting right now...

damn!! if the case factory owner was Pinocchio, his nose would be in USA by now!!

Exophase

Nothing good will ever come of Exophase.
Hari G said:
damn!! if the case factory owner was Pinocchio, his nose would be in USA by now!!

Cool, strap the cases to it and swing it around a few countries.