Release Hotfix 5 - Rc 1 Ready For Testing!

Esn said:
EvilDragon said:
Emulator never was a MAIN category, it is a SUB Category.
AFAIR you can enable in the config that subcategories will be shown in the main tab as well :)
But that's stupid. Emulators don't just emulate games.

Well, we follow the Freedesktop Standard.
The main category for emulator can be GAME or SYSTEM.

Last edited:
Esn said:
That's why the free desktop also have a "System > Emulator" category...
Edit: I should have read ED answer better... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
sebt3 said:
Esn said:
There's no-one to say that the Pandora can't make one exception in how the user sees things. I'd wager that just about everyone here would prefer having "emulator" as a main category, rather than a subcategory.

Two bugs I ran in to today:

1) Cannot mount PNDs in subdirectories with a space

I keep my PNDs in directories like /pandora/menu/Console Emulators/. This worked fine in HF4, but in HF5 you get the following error when trying to run the PNDs.

Code:
sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -m -p /media/PANDORA_SD1/pandora/menu/Console Emulators//colem-1.1.0.pnd -e run.sh -b colem
ERROR: selected PND(/media/PANDORA_SD1/pandora/menu/Console) file does not exist!
Usage: pnd_run.sh -p your.pnd -e executeable [-a "(arguments)"] [ -s "cd to folder inside pnd"] [-b UID (name of mountpoint/pandora/appdata)] [-x close x before launching(script needs to be started with nohup for this to work]
Usage for mounting/umounting pnd_run.sh -p your.pnd -b uid -m or -u
The Union File-system is not mounted !

Removing the space in the directory name worked around the problem.

2) Random mount errors, requiring reboot

After using the Pandora for an extended period of time, it would get to the point where no PNDs would mount properly. This is the error:

Code:
sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -m -p /usr/pandora/mmenu//thunar.pnd -e run.sh -b mmenuthunar
not mounted on loop yet, doing so
LoopMountedon: 
/dev/loop0
Filetype is Squashfs
Mounting PND (mount -t squashfs) :
/dev/loop0 on /mnt/pnd/mmenuthunar type squashfs (ro)
Filesystem is 
Mounting the Union FS using //pandora/appdata/mmenuthunar as Write directory:
none on /mnt/utmp/mmenuthunar type aufs (rw,si=64c29077)

Rebooting the Pandora resolved this error.

Almost feel bad making my little observation now, it's not very technical at all! Now almost all of the community backgrounds are gone, I decided to readd a few of my own pics from the memory card, this version only allows you to add 1 image and select it. If you add more than one at a time, they appear in the list, but disappear after you hit ok (apart from whatever one you have selected for the background)

Esn said:
sebt3 said:
Esn said:
There's no-one to say that the Pandora can't make one exception in how the user sees things. I'd wager that just about everyone here would prefer having "emulator" as a main category, rather than a subcategory.

You can actually define your own categories according to Freedesktop standard.
Skeezix and me were thinking about that, we'd need to include them both in XFCE and MiniMenu, so we're working on proper configuration here.

Probably planned for HF6 :)

Last edited:
Stouffa said:
Almost feel bad making my little observation now, it's not very technical at all! Now almost all of the community backgrounds are gone, I decided to readd a few of my own pics from the memory card, this version only allows you to add 1 image and select it. If you add more than one at a time, they appear in the list, but disappear after you hit ok (apart from whatever one you have selected for the background)
As counterintuitive as it seems, this is actually normal in Xfce. It's occurred in every Pandora OS version so far, it happens in Xubuntu, and as far as I know it also happens in anything else using the current versions of Xfce.

If you open up a file-manager window on the Pandora, click on "File System", and navigate to /usr/share/xfce4 you should see a directory called backdrops - if you put your images there, this will make them appear in the list where the community ones once were, but it of course does involve dumping your stuff on the NAND. :p You will need to be root to do this, so you need to right click in the file-manager window (but not on any icons), and click "Open Terminal Here" in the menu that pops up. In here, type sudo thunar which will open the file-manager with superuser permissions (you will need to provide the password you created at first-boot) - you will see a warning to this effect at the top of the window. Now, you can drop your images in the backdrops directory. Remember to go to the "File" menu and click on "Close" once you are done, as leaving this open is likely not a good idea (obviously, you can close the terminal window after this, too).

I hope that's useful to you.

Please pardon the off-topicness, folks - I felt it was worth answering the above. :p

goldenegg said:
Two bugs I ran in to today:

1) Cannot mount PNDs in subdirectories with a space

I keep my PNDs in directories like /pandora/menu/Console Emulators/. This worked fine in HF4, but in HF5 you get the following error when trying to run the PNDs.

Code:
 sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -m -p /media/PANDORA_SD1/pandora/menu/Console Emulators//colem-1.1.0.pnd -e run.sh -b colem
 ERROR: selected PND(/media/PANDORA_SD1/pandora/menu/Console) file does not exist!
 Usage: pnd_run.sh -p your.pnd -e executeable [-a "(arguments)"] [ -s "cd to folder inside pnd"] [-b UID (name of mountpoint/pandora/appdata)] [-x close x before launching(script needs to be started with nohup for this to work]
 Usage for mounting/umounting pnd_run.sh -p your.pnd -b uid -m or -u
 The Union File-system is not mounted !

Removing the space in the directory name worked around the problem.

2) Random mount errors, requiring reboot

After using the Pandora for an extended period of time, it would get to the point where no PNDs would mount properly. This is the error:

Code:
 sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -m -p /usr/pandora/mmenu//thunar.pnd -e run.sh -b mmenuthunar
 not mounted on loop yet, doing so
 LoopMountedon: 
 /dev/loop0
 Filetype is Squashfs
 Mounting PND (mount -t squashfs) :
 /dev/loop0 on /mnt/pnd/mmenuthunar type squashfs (ro)
 Filesystem is 
 Mounting the Union FS using //pandora/appdata/mmenuthunar as Write directory:

Rebooting the Pandora resolved this error.

(1) Theres been some alterations in pnd_run.sh of late, will bump over to sebt3 to take a peek at (he's current maintainer.)

(2) probably memleak issue? We've noticed that (for some time, not sure if always) that pnds are memory leaking .. not had time to dig into yet, but feels like an AUFS bug that we'll have to track down.

Will see what we can do about (1) soon..

jeff

EvilDragon said:
Esn said:
sebt3 said:
Esn said:

You can actually define your own categories according to Freedesktop standard.
Skeezix and me were thinking about that, we'd need to include them both in XFCE and MiniMenu, so we're working on proper configuration here.

Probably planned for HF6 :)
Ok, looking forward to it :)

For that matter, why doesn't Freedesktop have a category for "platformer" games? Yet they have SportsGame? And BlocksGame? Seems bizarre.

P.S. If all of the community backgrounds are going to be gone, is there a place where they can be downloaded? Or will there be only one background choice now?

Esn said:
P.S. If all of the community backgrounds are going to be gone, is there a place where they can be downloaded? Or will there be only one background choice now?
I uploaded them all here. :)

Hi

Not sure if this has been reported yet or is a long running issue - trying to open directories - using Thunar file manager. Oftentimes gets stuck and won't open a directory either using nubs or d-pad and enter button?

Another thing from time to time I have to keep 'initaliising' any shortcuts I have made using keyboard settings?

edit/

just noticed this issue in "tips, tricks and tweaks" thread, a problem with thunar, hope it can be fixed !

I had an extremely strange problem, which I reported in a separate thread. Since it occurred while running this RC and I found it to be software related, I wanted to report it here.

goldenegg said:
I've been using my Pandora most of the day and it suddenly started acting up. Each key on the keyboard, including the directional pad and buttons, are acting up.

This is going to be hard to explain, so please bear with me. Each key now performs two actions. For example, pressing 'B' will act as the left cursor the first time it's pressed and it will be 'B' the second time it's pressed. Each key now has this double behavior, making it pretty much impossible to use. Even in minimenu, I need to press the directions on the control pad twice to make a single move, since the first press is treated as a completely different function.

Any idea what could have caused this??? I'm running HF5 RC1 and am about to reflash.

Rebooting didn't help at all. This problem was completely fixed by re-flashing the firmware.

Back