Action button labels, again

I point to that article mostly to show that having Home/End/PgUp/PgDn/Del in a cluster without Ins is something that is sometimes done. In a sense, Del and Backspace are more related and more symmetrically opposite than Del and Ins, so making the two extra action buttons Del and Backspace could be a good idea.
Ahh.  To that I would argue that just because it has been done that way before doesn't necessarily make that a good idea, or one we should emulate.   :)

- Neelix

And I'm used to using Shift+Insert. Surely insert can go somewhere. Delete could be FN+Backspace.

Yes, deviating from the tried and tested is a risk.... 

But if we only stick to what is known, that leaves no room for innovation.

Anything great, anything now standard... started off as a deviation and a risk.

A risk worth taking!

Don't be afraid of failure... be afraid of never taking risks....

Last edited by a moderator:
They are unapologetically advertising their handhelds with Mario. Claiming to work with Nintendo, MS, Sony and Apple.

Knockoff brand, from China, with the looks to match. Please dont link, they don't deserve it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, it's not as if any of here are going to get suckered in
Google ranks by refering links: the more links there are to a site the higher it'll appear in the list for a given search.Even if no one here will get suckered in it is still helping them get hits off web searches.

I was reading something earlier about the PS button labels.  I don't know how accurate this is.  It said X and O were for yes and no, the triangle is "point of view" and square represents a piece of paper or a page or something like that.  I can't remember if that makes sense with many games.

Out of curiosity: Do those explanations make sense for those buttons?  Did you ever pick up on that, or do you think that those shapes represent those things?  Does it help you remember what button to hit for most (first party?) games , or would it if you had known?

Here's some more information from twitter and irc:

CHEaHU-WQAA7ePg.png

Code:
< _wb_> EvilDragon: is that ring/border around the yellow/green/red bits going to be 
              transparent or will it be painted?
< _wb_> if it's transparent then the buttons/keys get a rather big border with the backlight
< EvilDragon> _wb_, That's the silicon mat.
< EvilDragon> It needs to encapsulate tha plastic.
< EvilDragon> It's transparent.
< _wb_> EvilDragon: so with the backlight, there are thick circles around whatever button labels the action buttons get?
< EvilDragon> When you have the backlight enabled, yes.
< _wb_> and the same with the keyboard keys, thin rounded rectangles around those?
< EvilDragon> _wb_, Exactly.
< _wb_> EvilDragon: so those green/yellow/red pieces in that picture, they're solid transparent plastic which gets printed at the side that goes in the rubber?
< EvilDragon> The green/yellow/red pieces are transparent plastic. Painted from the backside (so it doesn't rub off) with black, transparent white (keys) and transparent blue (Fn-Keys).
< _wb_> and it gets glued together or something?
< EvilDragon> Yep. The plastic caps are painted, glued into the silicon keymat. The surrounding is there because you couldn't glue them properly on top otherwise.
< EvilDragon> The caps are all slightly higher than the surrounding and have slightly rounded edges.
< _wb_> is it decided that the Fn-color is blue?
< _wb_> (I'm more in favor of some orangy color)
< EvilDragon> Naaah, I'm just using Blue right now 
< _wb_> EvilDragon: what's the diameter of the printable area on those action buttons?
< _wb_> the keyboard keys are still 3x7mm printable?
< EvilDragon> _wb_, Don't know yet, will get a template from the company.

I am also in favor of something other than blue.  I like red, but orange also makes sense.  It really doesn't matter, and blue is fine, but I like the fire theme stuff.

I am also in favor of something other than blue.  I like red, but orange also makes sense.  It really doesn't matter, and blue is fine, but I like the fire theme stuff.
The problem with red (depending of course on the exact shade) is that it can be too dark to be easily seen on a black/dark background, which can be solved by making it more bright and more transparent, but then it will in practice probably look pink rather than red, which will look rather girlish.

So I'm in favor of a orange red, e.g. something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermilion#Orange-red

or the color named "Flame" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_%28color%29#Flame

This would be a very appropriate color because of this:

In Latin the word pyrrhus means red from the Greek adjective πυρρός, purrhos, i.e. "flame coloured", "the colour of fire" or simply "red" or "reddish".[2]Pyrrha was evidently named after her red hair. Horace (Ode, i. 5) and Ovid describes her as red haired.

(emphasis mine, from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrha)

Back