SONY PlayStation Vita (PS Vita)

90 bucks for 32 gig :eek: That is insane !!!! I hope you mean Aussie dollars .
Sadly, that is US dollars :(

I was lucky and I got mine for 59.99, but that was still Waaaaaaaaaay to much. Vita is Awesome, and I love it, but the memory card situation really needs to be addressed and corrected before Sony can even hope to compete in this current handheld gaming market.

Chris

WOW ... you can probably tell by my profile pic and signature that I like guns right ? Well for 90 dollars I could probably buy more than 60 rounds of ( cheapo ) 7.62 x 39 mm ( ak47 ) . Who has money like that for proprietary sd cards ?

Is the vita region locked ... If not I may have to get one imported .

Is the vita region locked ... If not I may have to get one imported .
Yes and No!

The games aren't region locked, but online and DLC can be. So the only games you ever want to get, are those that don't use the online pass, or you will need to have a PSN account set up for that region to use the online functions. It's better than having full region lock, but you just have to be careful with certain games.

So if you have a US Vita with a US PSN account, you can't get "Everybody's golf"(hot shot's in the states) from the UK, and use the online features, as that game comes with an online pass for EU PSN. Now if you don't mind setting up multiple accounts, it can be bypassed, but I have heard it is know where as easy as doing multiple accounts on the PS3 and can be a down right pain in the arse.

As far as importing goes, you would still probably do better getting a unit locally, as import cost and shipping will run a Japanese unit up pretty quickly. Unless you plan to get a color not available elsewhere and then it could be a good buy.

Chris

... I hadn't realised having multiple accounts was any dif on these to the PS3, I always thought it was the same one used, hence they show my Vita content to d/l whilst I'm logged onto PSN Store on my PS3

... I hadn't realised having multiple accounts was any dif on these to the PS3, I always thought it was the same one used, hence they show my Vita content to d/l whilst I'm logged onto PSN Store on my PS3
They are the same account, but you can't switch between them on the Vita in the same way you can on the PS3.

I've never done either, but I believe on the PS3, it's as simple as logging out of one, and logging in to another. On the Vita, you have to reset your whole unit to factory specs, and Sony only allows one region per memory card, so you have to have multiple cards, or backup/restore back and forth for the one you have. So I guess your PSN account is linked to the Vita, and won't allow you to switch between any others unless you start the process from "vanilla" each time.

I'm not 100% on these facts, but I'm sure someone here can confirm or add to my info, but I'm sure it's fairly accurate.

Chris

I see.

Yeah on the PS3 is it as you say, a simple matter of logging out of one user account and logging into the next, all done on the XMB under Users tab.

Looks like they locked the Vita's XMB down then somewhat.

I only have one import game(dokuro:Asian), and it doesn't have DLC or require an online pass, so it works just fine. Although the Vita isn't 100% region free, it does allow it, you just need to know the rules. Depending on the game you may or may not want to play, you may never have any issues at all.

The 3DS is locked down completely and doesn't allow for any region free gameplay at all. I'd rather have "region free" with some rules, than not at all. Nintendo sucks A$$ :p

Chris

I haven't been on this board for a long time but i'm glad to see the usaul suspects are still here. 

I think I can answer the question about the region protection on the Vita because I live it :)

So here is what I have:

Eurpoean Vita

PSN account that I created in the USA and is registered in the USA (I guess that is the important thing)
PSN account I made in the EU (registered here)
Games I purchased in the EU 
Some games I purchased on the PSN store with my US PSN

OK got that in you mind :) Here is how the compatibility works

So It doesn't matter where the VITA comes from (as far as I know) It only matters where the PSN account you are using is registered too. This is your Region So when i use the US Account the Vita acts like it came from there. This means I can play all my EU games (hard copy) but i can not activate any DLC or online passes because of region regulations. I can still access the US PSN store but they won't take my eurpoean credit card and wont even let me update my US credit card. So the way i have to buy things is get one of my brothers to send me a code with credit on it, that works. 

I don't remember what update it was but it used to be that you could tie your PSN account to a memory card, so I had 2 one with my EU PSN and one with the USA PSN and swap them out. Now it is more of a pain in the ass. You have to format the memory card and the restet the system to factory defaults (this is done in the settings) You have to watch the intro demo movie every time and adjust your icons and all the stuff and redownload your save files and all that stuff from your computer if you want to switch from one account to the other. So Sony really wants you to pick a region and stick with it, if you plan to use any extra features (DLC (network passes PSN store...)

Quick example of something that just doesn't work. I have a hard copy of Wipe out 2048 EU version. It plays on my EU Vita but I can not use the network key because im using my US PSN account. So i purchased the Network key on the PSN store when i was in the US over the holiday. I still can't play my Wipe out 2048 online. Sony thinks this, US VITA US Network key EU Game not compatible but remember i can't use the EU network key either. The only solution is to "reload" the PS Vita with my European Account.

I got a vita for my girlfriend and now we play online together because she lives far away and i'm needing my network passes but that means i have to get new save files for my games because the save files are tied to my USA name and it means that if i play under the EU account i don't have access to all the games and things i download from the USA PSN Store. It is a hard call to make if i want to make my Vita EU  lose all my US saves and purchases and start over again so that every game i play here we can play online together. I guess it isn't really gone it's just hard to access.

Well i hope that helps explain the wild world of having games from a different region on your PS VITA so short story as long as you won't go online or try to activate any DLC codes it is no problem!

So I have my question for the board. I mentioned i got a PSVITA for my girlfriend. I gave her my old WI and bought a 3G version used. It is missing the little grey piece of plastic you put the sim card on place in the slot. 
1) does anyone know how to get a replacement of this?
2) does anyone have one and have access to calipers and would be willing to give me demensions of it so i can print one in a 3D printer?

I really got into my VIta again over the holidays with Persona 4 Golden, Sonic Racing transformed (A game that has no business being good but is amazing fun and sega fan servos for days) and Earth deference force way way fun!!

So I have my question for the board. I mentioned i got a PSVITA for my girlfriend. I gave her my old WI and bought a 3G version used. It is missing the little grey piece of plastic you put the sim card on place in the slot. 

1) does anyone know how to get a replacement of this?

2) does anyone have one and have access to calipers and would be willing to give me demensions of it so i can print one in a 3D printer?

I really got into my VIta again over the holidays with Persona 4 Golden, Sonic Racing transformed (A game that has no business being good but is amazing fun and sega fan servos for days) and Earth deference force way way fun!!
I'm loving my Vita as well. I bought Persona 4 just due to all of the hype and stellar reviews, but I have yet to put it on. I never get JRPG's, not because I don't like the genre, but because I never have the 50-100 hours to invest. LOL I'm really looking forward to playing this, but I have no idea when that might happen.

I did play Sonic Transformed for a solid 2 weeks over the holidays, and I didn't scratch the surface of all it has to offer. It is buggy/glitchy at times, but it is a super fun kart racer. It is currently my second favorite behind Diddy Kong Racing.

As for Vita  replacement parts, Dealextreme is my go to business for such items. http://dx.com/ They don't appear to have the specific item you need(at least I couldn't find it), but they should at some point. I have bought DS, PSP, DSi parts, screen protectors, ect, and their service is always top notch. Packaging isn't always the best, but the prices are so cheap, it's not a big deal.

Chris

I was reading an article on theverge about why the Vita is not selling well , see here: http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/22/4016898/ps-vita-one-year-after-launch

Basically the question being raised is why it's not selling well.  For me , it isn't selling well because of its price.  The 3Ds had the same problem when it launched, now that you can pick one up new for about half of what it launched for, it is selling well. I'm sure if they dropped the price of the Vita to $150 it would also sell well.

Some say it's the lack of games, but thats a chicken and egg thing, no one is going to develop for a console that isn't selling well.  If it were selling well it would get a lot more games developed for it.

Unfortunately Sony have got themselves stuck in a jam.  The market is not willing to pay $250 for a dedicated handheld gaming console , that much is clear - especially when  the games cost so much on top of that. Yet they cant really drop the price as the console comprises of decent and costly tech. They can only hope the component price drops quickly enough t enable them to make a price cut.

Makes you wonder what will happen with Project Shield , at least it will have cheap games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the Via would be a great platform for more Dreamcast ports, Jet Set Radio is very good, and I know I'd happily shell out to play more of them on the go!

its a shame its not doing so good and i can see valid reasons why, but since i bought one at christmas i can honestly say ive played it everyday since. i have a ps plus subscription and the content they deliver every month is amazing (uncharted, gravity rush, mortal kombat, wipeout 2048, lumines, jet set radio plus some other bits and metal gear hd collection next month), not to mention all the discounted games on the store/ sales etc. i had cod bundled with it (not great but online is ok from time to time) and bought everybodys golf and persona 4 since. i really hope a price drop will help.

I see they've just announced the indie hit Thomas Was Alone for the PSVita and PS3 as a cross buy, looks like a good fit for the console! I asked the creator a while back about the chances of it appearing on the Pandora, there is an upcoming Linux and Android version too apparently:)

Thanks, mate~ :)

By the way, the official NA 1 year Anniversary was last month...

February 15th, 2012 (first edition bundle only)

February 22nd, 2012

Last edited by a moderator:
Back