New PS Vita - Thinner, better battery life and LCD screen

seems like an improvement to me, rather then a worsening. I like the new colours but I won't buy a Vita because I don't care xD

Isn't OLED far superior to LCD no matter what? LCD is rather old hat yes?
nope, the Full HD IPS screen in my Nexus7 (2013) looks stunning and the black is very good. On the other hand the AMOLED in my N9 has problems on borders between black and colour. Looks like a row of magenta pixels (could also be a bad screen or aging, dunno)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, but i really like the oled on my vita and i think the overall design is ace. Sony are making some aggressive and assured moves this time around. About time really.

Hope they aren't just throwing shit out there to see what sticks though..., like the tv vita thing. If they capitalise on the cross feeding that they are proposing, by creating synergy between all of the playstation branded products, then it may indeed work. Its an interesting approach at least imo.

Major dissapointing for me, colors are only on the back, the fronts are white or black still, WTF??!! 1GB internal is a joke, its nothing when it comes to game storage and lets not even talk about movies or something, could as well left it out. LCD instead of OLED?? So its nolonger a Vita cos the Vita WAS the OLED... LCDs are hopelessly slow response times, and poor visibility overall and blacks sucks atleast in comparison to OLED, I hope they keep the OLED versions for sale for people who wouldnt mind paying more to get better screen. Vita just died in my eyes, its like a sell out to get as much money out of the hardware as possible before they discontinue the product. The price was never the reason it didnt sell so well, it was games, now they just killed the reason to get one, might as well go with some phone with equal size and resolution LCD... Ok so it has gaming controls unlike a phone but fuck what a dissapointment for me.

1gig is rubbish yep. Still this will sell better imo, because presumably its cheaper to manufacture, which equals a lower retail price. Games are important but they should come with more unit sales. Still im happy with my oled vita and would probably buy that model over the new one still.

On the other hand the AMOLED in my N9 has problems on borders between black and colour. Looks like a row of magenta pixels (could also be a bad screen or aging, dunno)
On AMOLED screens I also notice the reds tend to be too vivid (i.e. don't look as good as on a LCD), but that could be due to the way they are calibrated.  

I think Sony like vivid reds. Trinitron CRTs in consumer sets were known to have overblown reds at the factory settings.

Yeah, the OG looks better here for sure, but we can't really go off outside pics. I'll wait until we get both units in ideal conditions and the comparison is made. I don't doubt when it's all said and done, the OLED will come out on top. This is a cheaper unit overall to save cost, and make profits.

They've improved what they could, but even the extended battery is almost nothing in the grand scheme of things. This unit looks like a way to get more Vita's in to more consumers hands. There are tons of users out there who could care less about the screen differences. I really like my OLED, but I'm also digging the small improvements made to the 2000 overall. I may get one at some point, but I'll wait and see what the reviewers say.

Plus, the 2000 hasn't been announced outside of Japan, so there's no telling if I can even get one anytime soon or not.

Chris

Hey, has anyone gotten a Vita Slim(2000)? If so, how do you like it and what's your opinion?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to order one tomorrow, as the only real negative I can find is the lesser screen quality. But everything else seems to be improved, at least IMO.

Chris

^^^^no. Very happy with my original vita. Im curious about the new model though.
If no one else has any thoughts or opinions, I'll leave some once mine arrives. I figured before I placed an order, someone might have some thoughts that may sway my opinion, but I'm feeling pretty good about grabbing one.

Ever since I first held the Vita 1000, I've found it slightly bulky and heavy. The PSP 2000 was perfect for me, and I think the Vita 2000 will be the same. I was going to wait to see if a US version got announced, but even if it does, I doubt we'll get the cool colors of the Japanese units, so I said why not? 

I currently have the white LE assassins creed unit and I can sale that one for what the slim is going to cost me, so it's pretty much an even swap(besides my work to sell it). I'm going to get the wht/blue slim/2000, and I doubt that one will see release outside of Japan, so it should hold some of it's value over the long haul. If my importer in the states has stock tomorrow, I should get it by the weekend, otherwise it won't arrive until next week sometime. But I'll leave some thoughts whenever it arrives.

Chris

The old vita used load and store oled like the gs3 does. I dont understand that in a gaming only device. Anyhow, there is always something wrong with a psp, sony just cant seem to get it right.

Edit: maybe its called store and hold, come to think of it. Couldnt find the source though.

I got a Vita, too. It's a really nice console, but I'm disappointed about the lack of games for the system. Personally, I would not buy it again, altough i own quite a few games for it now.

With the exception of some downloadable games, it certainly feels a bit like the end of the Vita, certainly for big games anyway! I'm enjoying mine regardless, it's a very capable machine, and as I've not managed to play them elsewhere, I enjoy playing the indie ports of games like Spelunky, Hotline Miami, Stealth Inc. and Retro City Rampage (a game which apparently sold most on the Vita of all versions released so far)

It's really a shame that no one seems to develop some games for it, because the new Sly title and Little Big Planet show what this device is capable of.

P.S. Thanks for the tip with Hotline Miami I wasn't aware that this game is on PSN. Just bought it.

Pity it's not hacked yet, at least afaic it would most probably be the death knell for an already struggling system.. but I'd buy one in a heartbeat just for it's potential as a very capable portable emulation/homebrew device.. (possibly full speed N64/Dreamcast) with a great screen (the original model at least) & good controls.. I seem to remember the PSP scene being particularly strong.

I personally love my Vita. No shortage of great games for me personally. I just ordered Tearaway, and I'm getting Killzone & Rayman Legends on Black Friday. I don't know how many games it needs for people, but I've got as many great games here to play as I have for any of my other systems.

My Vita slim finally shipped out today, and I can't wait to get it later this week(opinions coming soon). Sadly, besides what was released this year(game wise), I don't really see anything great coming soon, but that's OK. With the PS4 and the remote play feature, I see sales doing a lot better next year for sure. The PS4 display at my local Gamestop now has the Vita tethered there as well, so if promotion goes well enough, we should start to see more games on a steady basis.

Chris 

Back