New PS Vita - Thinner, better battery life and LCD screen

I'm actually digging the new redesign. No major cosmetic changes, but I didn't expect that to happen. This was a pretty good designed out of the gate, so I figured thinner and lighter with small changes would be the order of the day. I'm really liking the new bigger start and select buttons, and how the game card slot is now placed in the center up top. Hopefully the trap door is easier to open as well.

Overall, I just need to hear how well the OLED measures up to the new LCD, and I'll be getting one ASAP. Sadly, I just upgraded my original black unit, to the AC bundle white, but I got tired of waiting on this announcement, and even then I wasn't sure if other colors would make the launch. I really just don't like all black systems, so I'm glad to see Sony is offering more colors at launch. Hopefully we will get all 6 colors in other regions as well.

Considering how many are already complaining about loosing the OLED, I'm sure I can sale my current unit at a decent value, as I'm sure there will still be a market for the OLED units. Which is good, so I can cover my slim unit cost.

Overall, this isn't really a must buy for most users, as the lighter weight and extra hour of battery life won't be a big deal for most, but considering I should be able to upgrade(or downgrade depending on point of view), for almost no money out of pocket, I'm really interested. Hopefully some LCD comments will be forthcoming so I can make a final decision.

Chris

Isn't OLED far superior to LCD no matter what?

LCD is rather old hat yes?

Seems like it would have to be a step backwards video wise.

Last edited:
Isn't OLED far superior to LCD no matter what?

LCD is rather old hat yes?

Seems like it would have to be a step backwards video wise.
Yes, it is, but from what I've been reading, Super LCD's can be very comparable, and that is what is rumored to be used in the Vita "slim". I'm sure there will be some hands on reports within coming weeks, so we shall see. I don't have a problem taking a slightly lesser screen, as I would prefer the thinner and lighter unit overall. I guess it all comes down to what consumers want or need. I'm glad OLED will be considered the better of the two, as I'll be able to sell my current unit to that market with out much loss to the units overall value. Win/Win for me.

Chris

Is the Vita region free?

Never mind, seems it is

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the Vita region free?
Yes and No actually.

The game cards are region free, but online passes and DLC are region locked. So if you get a game that uses a "pass" for online, you will need a PSN account for that region to use the online functions. If a game doesn't use a "pass" for online, you will be fine no matter what PSN account you use. The same rules apply to DLC. The Vita does allow you to have different region PSN accounts, but it is far more difficult than the way it works on the PS3.

Chris 

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually like the way it looks! Sure not having an OLED is a bit annoying ... but the weakest parts of the original PSVita were the sharp front face and the nubs ... looks like the face is fixed, I want to see how those nubs feel.

Back