PS Vita TV - New Console/Media Player (SONY's Ouya)

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
SONY are releasing a new device called the PS Vita TV for ~ $100 which lets you play Vita & PSP games on the TV. It also serves as a Remote Play hub for PlayStation 4. It can also be used to get Movie etc streaming  services like Apple TV. Apparently it has the same HW core as the Vita.

Details here:

http://kotaku.com/introducing-ps-vita-tv-1276599936

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/09/09/sony-reveals-new-hardware-ps-vita-tv

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/09/ps-vita-tv-launch-date/

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/9/4710080/sony-ps-vita-tv

ps_vita_tv.0_cinema_640.0.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ata90Y92UeI

Last edited by a moderator:
The remote play thing for PS4 is nice, for some PS4 business in the other room.

What's the VITA side of it though, do you need to have a VITA and this just feeds the screen content onto the main telly ... or do you not require a physical VITA console, and this effectively takes place of the VITA [albeit without the portable screen]

If the later, this is great, I'd definitely pay this much for such a device, and start getting some VITA games going on too

^ It's a Vita without the screen, touchpad and controls.  It has a Vita game slot (and other ports) and the same  CXD53155GG SOC with Quad core Cortex-A9 running at up to 2Ghz and a PowerVR SGX543 MP4

Pretty decent, I'll be picking one of these up then if the price is not bumped up too much when reaches our shores

Not a bad idea but vita games on tv will look downright ugly compared to their ps3 equivalents. A cheap ps3 makes more sense than this box without much exclusive games.

^ Not sure you can use a PS3 to play PS4 games on the TV the PS3 is connected to - In any event  , the PS3 is still $200 .

To be fair it's a pretty decent offering for $100,  It's basically an internet streaming & content player like a PC Stick or Apple TV, a Vita Console, and allows you to play your PS4 games on a different TV 

I know from the comments in the tech articles that it's getting a generally positive reception.  The capability to play PS4 games on another TV being the must have for most people.  The other features following close behind.   Lets hope it comes out for other countries.

Seems to have the Ouya people a little worried, there already is a thread on it on their forums.

This is something the vita itself should have been able to do from day one will never entertain sony handhelds again waste of time 

Some of us are like that though... I bought my first vinyl record ~1 year before I had a record player :)

Used to take it to my nans flat once a month to play there when I'd visit for the first year, only time I heard it

Likewise, I'm buying a Pandora box [nice one from Japan don't you know :) ] prior to having a Pandora to place within it.

Tis a mad World

I've not placed mine yet ... was waiting on the other ones with some Jap0n goodies inside.

You said something about putting up some more info soon/later about those boxes, once the orders for plain boxes are done.

I still fancy getting mine with a little something something inside, perhaps a little comic or little gashapon figure or something.

I want the extra surprise of something inside - Like a Kinder surprise egg :)

What the F is this?  This is the vita with HDMI out.  Why the F Sony didn't include HDMI out on the Vita.  Screw Sony.  They make you happy with PS4 and they screw you with the PS Vita  :angry:

Ekianjo, since you're living in Japan, can you go to Sony headquarter there and smack the $h!t out of Sony's CEO?  :lol:

Well, I never bought a Vita because it's too big for me to be pocketable (same with PSP).

But for about 100 USD, it's a nice idea to play some Vita games.

If you've got a PlayStation Plus account to get free PS3 games, you'll also have free Vita games.

Shame there are not many Vita games that appeal me ;)

Otherwise, I'd probably buy it.

I don't have a flat TV, I've got a projector, which is a bit better than a flat TV. And we still play PS2 games and even NDS games (using DraStic) on that. Can't be worse than that :)

Nice Idea, seems useful and solid. Also seems to be "influenced" by OUYA/GameStick etc... and I guess Sony just started after these projects. For that they were pretty fast (damn, when you have enough money, things can really speed up eh? ^^"" )

The capability to play PS4 games on another TV being the must have for most people.
A must have? for a console that's not even out yet? Is this a joke ?

"Oh, i'm going to buy a set of leather seats, because I can use it with my Ferrari when I ever get one".
No one said those people will be purchasing them at separate times. Even if they did, it would be for other reasons , ie for its other features they can use prior to the PS4 coming out.  

It looks fine.playstation is a stronger brand than the android equivalents and should sell a bit better perhaps.

All these media streaming game boxes dont interest me anyhow.

Its quite cheap, though mostly it shows sonys determination to grow vita as a brand name. Revised vita, vita tv and ps4 cross connectivity.sony are ticking all the right boxes for me, roll on ps4.

It doesn't actually play most of the games people would buy a Vita for. The list of compatible games (herehttp://www.jp.playstation.com/psvitatv/game/psvitalist/) reveals it can't play Uncharted, Killzone, Tearaway, Gravity Rush, Wipeout, Zero Escape, LittleBigPlanet, or Rayman Legends. Basically any game you want to buy a Vita to play cannot be played on the Vita TV.

All of the VIta unique features (touch screen in front and back) will not be replicable with this box. 

Mouhahaha is the only thing that comes to mind. 

can you go to Sony headquarter there and smack the $h!t out of Sony's CEO? 
I could go to Nintendo's headquarter first, it's closer.  

Back