Prototype mainboards coming soon

Kinda lovecraftian.
Because if you say the name you invite it. (It is a common thing, at least in the English speaking world, but Lovecraft had a great way with words.)

Stop talking about the instability at certain speeds our it will never get fixed. :p
Just to be awkard, it's valid to call the board with the SoC on the main board, and the larger board that plugs into the peripheral board, because all it really has on it is peripherals for the CPU on the main board. I did go with calling the larger board the peripheral board for a while, but never called the smaller one the main board because others were already calling the larger board the main board, but nobody took the hint, so I fell in with calling them the CPU board and the main board with gritted teeth.
I felt that way as well, probably not as strongly, though. I can understand the logic behind both being called the main board.

I can understand tightening up the stylus so it doesn't move around. Movement means wear, and I already have a hard enough time trying to track down the styluses(sp?) that just fall out of some of my other devices.
You might want to consider an RHS for your Pyra/Pandora.

No I'll never join the clear side...
Excellent! I don't remember if you ever said what you prefer. Which do you want?

But I'd rather have 2.21 GHz. (in the french dubbing, it was replaced with 2.21 GW for better lips syncing)
In the German version, the flux capacitor was renamed to flux compensator, pretty much for the same reason. ;)

The dark side is (and, master Yoda, I quote): 'Quicker, easier, more seductive.'
But waiting [2 months (TM)] for case/touchscreen/keymat/other stuff improvements is not 'quick'.
And investigating on crashes above a given CPU frequency does seem 'easy'.
Also, according to people I show the Pyra to, the brick design is not very 'seductive'.
('Beauty is in the eye of the beholder', isn't it ?)

Thus, by contraposition, we can deduce Pyra is Jedi.
Notwithstanding, it seems we will quite certainly have 'Darth Vader' Pyras
Just like some Atari 2600 back in the 80's. :=)))

I kinda like the look of the Pyra. Less rounding and more angles may look better to me, but it looks right to me as it is. I wouldn't want it to look like most modern electronics look.

I would rather have dark grey than black, and failing that I will go with red/dark red, clear, hot pink, or bright yellowish green, so no Darth Vader unit for me if there is a choice.

That will happen once I assemble a prototype with the new PCBs :)
When you make that video, you could upload it via the prototype you just built, then upload another video which shows how you uploaded the previous video via the prototype.

Oh, and don't forget to follow up on your "First Pyra Speakers Test" when the sealing works right.

I wouldnt mind to have a "Wiggle" Stylus on my Prototyphe Pyra....

So when the Stylus and the Batterie Cover are fixed, do you get a new Sample, and then the Mould will hardened and they make the case Sets for the Massproduktion??

Fully working Prototyphs at chrismass, seems legit..

pyra-red-png.29172

pyra-red-png.29172
That looks awesome actually.i think having a option to have a different shade like light and dark version . I still want the clear one but i would like it to be more transparent like a window if possible. if not it's ok.

That looks awesome actually.i think having a option to have a different shade like light and dark version . I still want the clear one but i would like it to be more transparent like a window if possible. if not it's ok.
Yeah I'd like a coloured clear one but I kinda doubt that'll happen. That's just a rough photoshop though so it doesn't look that real or see through.

In the German version, the flux capacitor was renamed to flux compensator, pretty much for the same reason. ;)
We named it the "temporal convector".
I'm curious, what's the litteral translation of the Pepsi jokes in Lou's Cafe ?

We had it this way : he asks for a Gini (french soda) instead of a Tab (then-popular Coca-Cola brand), which Lou mistakes for Génie Sans Bouillir (well-known washing powder), and adds that the drugstore is right next door. In english, it was that if Marty wanted a tab (a restaurant bill), he had to order something first.
So then, while in the US version asks for a Pepsi Free (of caffeine) and Lou answers "If you want a Pepsi, you're gonna have to pay for it.", we had Marty ask for a Pepsi Régime (Diet), to what Lou said that if he's on a diet, he shouldn't drink Pepsi.

So what's it like in german ? Or in other languages. As you can see, I totally love this movie. :happy:

Back on topic : I'm getting more and more curious about the clear case, kinda tied between it, dark gray and off-white. Maybe a black clear case ? Would look 90s rad.

Yeah I'd like a coloured clear one but I kinda doubt that'll happen. That's just a rough photoshop though so it doesn't look that real or see through.
I was a aware of that but thank you for making sure. I understand somethings just won't be unless the pyra becomes popular, as long as the clear one is available i'd be happy but i could settle for a black one

Last edited:
There are paints you can use that will retain translucency, giving you those fun cases. You also aren't limited to single solid colors.

How much different is Pyra development going to be from OpenPandora? I want to get further into the development aspect side of things, and was considering just spending more time with the Pandora to do development there, but if the Pyra is going to be drastically different, I may need get into this earlier - I'm unsure. I'm hoping stuff like Python (PYGame) or other "simpler" languages will be able to be used.

Nikolaus has been done countless tests (also huge thanks to notaz for a NEON-Stresstest-tool) to rule out different possibilities why the CPU boards could fail running higher than 1,2GHz. It could've been the RAM, the clock itself, power source, software settings, etc.

With these tests we could slowly rule out various issues. The RAM is fine, the power source is fine, so what we're most likely missing are some more decoupling capacitors.
I had some random thoughts over the last few days and would feel bad if I kept them to myself.
Could this be a heat issue? Could you run the board outside of the case with a heat sink on the SoC to rule it out? If the thing doesn't boot at high clock speeds then heat probably isn't the issue. If the unit runs for some time but then halts, might be worth investigating.
Could the magnets from the nubs be affecting the SoC? All of the tests from the past seemed to be on mostly on unpopulated main board.

I can understand if it is a capacitor issue but thought these could be some simple tests.

Back