Prototype mainboards coming soon

So now whit these Case its allready better then the Pandora,
Dit you decide if if you will sell transparent Pyras as well??
I think I want one..

Also whit the Improved Hinge, its will be great to play while driving off-road whit the Unimog,
My Pandora Hinge wickled around when I tried this..
(Dotnt be afraid, im ditnt sit on the driver seat when I try that)

Just a quick note though... We all have LiPo devices everywhere these days. If you ever notice that the battery pack is starting to swell or deform, it is broken even if it is still 'working'. What is causing the deformation is a buildup of Hydrogen gas. I've seen a few RAID controllers with battery backups recently that looked like they had balloons sticking out of the sides of them. Any LiPo battery can fail. If pushed past failure, the resulting fire can be nearly impossible to extinguish until the Lithium has all burned through.

Main points:
-> If your LiPo battery (on any device) is deformed, then the battery is broken. <-
-> Stop using it and find someplace that will dispose of it (the battery) properly. <-

Most batteries have very solid track records and deformation leading to ignition is still very rare (even for Samsung). Simply be aware of the warning signs (swelling or a bubble sticking out of a battery or excessive heat) and stop using LiPo batteries at first indication of something being wrong with them.

Thanks for the warning @Grench , I really should check some of my old devices to see how the battery is going with them, specially since brazil is almost always 35 celsius during summer.
I fear for my caanoo, which does not have a replaceable battery.

Apart from that, what a superb video! I love to see the dedication for perfection Ed is putting there!

I like the clean click sounds the assembling makes. :D Case looks good, I hope the mentioned tweakings do not dealay it any furhter. I could live with a wiggling Stylus, thats a non issue actualy. You could use a small rubber band around the stylus headbase so it fits flush in the case.
Friction based Hinge looks OK, not sure how long it will last, I guess the plastic friction will grind off over time.

I like the clean click sounds the assembling makes. :D Case looks good, I hope the mentioned tweakings do not dealay it any furhter. I could live with a wiggling Stylus, thats a non issue actualy. You could use a small rubber band around the stylus headbase so it fits flush in the case.
Friction based Hinge looks OK, not sure how long it will last, I guess the plastic friction will grind off over time.

Indeed, I would have preferred a more robust improvement like a hinge mechanism that had a detent for ~150° angle, but I suppose this will have to do. It's better than no improvement at all.

i think if all the vocal clear-case people go to auction for one of these prototype clear cases, ED will make tons of money :D

[edit] also, regarding the hinge, since you can swap in a cheap, but patented DS hinge, which supposedly has better angles, i'm not too worried. also the plastic seems pretty indestructible even without that :).

its is to me, now i want the clear one

clear.png

It's not 1.2GHz, even 1.1GHz is known to hang, and we don't even know if 1.0GHz really works on every board for extended time. This needs to be called something different as it misleads all the early adopters...
Hm. This statement is also misleading. The CPU Boards produced recently run stable for hours with 1.25GHz - provided the operation points are fine tuned. That is something we hadn't done before.
Hmm I don't think I saw you reporting that. Your last email says you had hangs at 1250MHz, and an earlier email states the hang point is somewhere between 1.0 and 1.1 GHz.

That case looks great. Those shoulder buttons look satisfying to click.
I can understand tightening up the stylus so it doesn't move around. Movement means wear, and I already have a hard enough time trying to track down the styluses(sp?) that just fall out of some of my other devices.

I'm hoping that with the better plastic and good tolerances, that the Pyra will survive a bit better in my thigh pocket than the Pandora. Even keeping my Pandora in a thin case, I every once in a while need to pop the clips in the plastic around the screen back into the case. Which makes me really wonder what kind of stresses I'm putting on the poor thing. I'm guessing a bit of a diagonal and twisting pressure.

The hinge mechanism looks fine, but I would've preferred to see it demonstrated with the screen and display pcb in there. You know, to see how it behaves with the extra weight.

That will happen once I assemble a prototype with the new PCBs :)

Hmm I don't think I saw you reporting that. Your last email says you had hangs at 1250MHz, and an earlier email states the hang point is somewhere between 1.0 and 1.1 GHz.

I THINK he only posted that in an email to me where he sent me all the results of the tests and some conclusion (it was german, as that makes communication a bit easier).

That case looks great. Those shoulder buttons look satisfying to click.
I can understand tightening up the stylus so it doesn't move around. Movement means wear, and I already have a hard enough time trying to track down the styluses(sp?) that just fall out of some of my other devices.

No, it won't fall off. It clicks into the case, but the space which keeps the stylus in the case is too big, so it wiggles around in that fixed position. It doesn't fall out, it just wiggles a bit.

That will happen once I assemble a prototype with the new PCBs :)

I THINK he only posted that in an email to me where he sent me all the results of the tests and some conclusion (it was german, as that makes communication a bit easier).

No, it won't fall off. It clicks into the case, but the space which keeps the stylus in the case is too big, so it wiggles around in that fixed position. It doesn't fall out, it just wiggles a bit.
so i was wondering, when you auction off the prototypes, will they get new board when they are fixed?

Your last email says you had hangs at 1250MHz, and an earlier email states the hang point is somewhere between 1.0 and 1.1 GHz.
Yay, the Gigahertz barrier is broken!

1.21 GigaHertz ?! 1.21 GigaHertz... Great Scott !

But I'd rather have 2.21 GHz. (in the french dubbing, it was replaced with 2.21 GW for better lips syncing)

wow! what a nice case you have there, will i get one in that c64c light-beige colour too? ;)

Back