New Button Poll With Impossibles Removed

What should the labels on the 4 buttons be on the Pandora?

• NSEW (North South East West)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Greek Letter (SNES order?) α, β, χ, γ

• P & | A (P and or A) [or P & / A for non-programmers]

• Sequence (1,2,3,4 / I,II,III,IV / A, B, C, D / A1, A2, A3, A4 / etc.)

• GP2X Style YBXA

• Other - List below

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

jbr said:
What about colors? Can I say that black is my intellectual property and every book printed in black ink is stealing it from me?
You can try. T-Mobile tried it with the color magenta just last month. They would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for those pesky Engadget kids and their damn dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
They would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for those pesky Engadget kids and their damn dog.

LOL. Those same meldin' teenagers stopped me from running people off the property of Old Man Macalicutty after he died. That old coal mine was full of diamonds, damn it! But they saw through my glow-in-the-dark ghost mask and the projectors I had set up.

Stupid mutt.

Chip said:
jbr said:
What about colors? Can I say that black is my intellectual property and every book printed in black ink is stealing it from me?
You can try. T-Mobile tried it with the color magenta just last month. They would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for those pesky Engadget kids and their damn dog.

I read Engadget daily, yet I missed that story. So thanks for pointing it out.

An excellent example of why I have such personal contempt for corporate culture.

I certainly never think of T-Mobile when I see the color magenta. But now I will think of vapid jackasses in suits trying to copyright the rainbow, little girl's curls and baby smiles when I see magenta.

I checked through the patents assigned to Nintendo on uspto.gov, and I didn't see any that were directly related to button layout or lettering except as part of a existing controller or device. None of the buttons in those patents were labeled with letters, and since the actual button arrangement is not patented, there should be no problem with even SNES layout, I would think.
(There's some very weird stuff there. I wonder why I've never seen one of these in production, for example. It's a handheld, ergonomic keyboard/game controller apparently.)

Tom` said:
I checked through the patents assigned to Nintendo on uspto.gov, and I didn't see any that were directly related to button layout or lettering except as part of a existing controller or device. None of the buttons in those patents were labeled with letters, and since the actual button arrangement is not patented, there should be no problem with even SNES layout, I would think.
Great. So lets go for ABXY (which most of us want), patent it and sue Nintendo for billions..... :lol:

ABXY is the best by far, but I just leaned the 24 Greek letters, and I think we need a Xi button. (Kinda line [|] turned 90 degrees.) Or maybe three buttons each labeled with one of the three cases of Sigma. It would be really annoying because the program would say, "Press the Sigma button," and you wouldn't know which one it meant! Ok, I'm done.

Let's go with ABXY please.

jbr said:
ABXY is the best by far, but I just leaned the 24 Greek letters, and I think we need a Xi button. (Kinda line [|] turned 90 degrees.) Or maybe three buttons each labeled with one of the three cases of Sigma. It would be really annoying because the program would say, "Press the Sigma button," and you wouldn't know which one it meant! Ok, I'm done.

Let's go with ABXY please.

....Ξ
Σ......ς
....σ

It lacks a certain je ne sais quoi...

edit: in case, for some reason, people need something to copy and paste from...the entire Greek alphabet:
Αα Ββ Γγ Δδ Εε Ζζ Ηη Θθ Ιι Κκ Λλ Μμ Νν Ξξ Οο Ππ Ρρ Σσς Ττ Υυ Φφ Χχ Ψψ Ωω

.........AL
.......D/.\A
.... B/..Λ..\M
...M/...ΛΛ...\B
.A/_______\D
L...LAMBDA....A

THAT TOOK MY LIKE AN HOUR GODDAMNIT

Aaah come on shouldn't this thread be dead by now just have one blue button, one red one,one yellow one,and one green one.

Ha!
Hieroglyphs would be neat.

"Press on the Eye to start".

For Greek letters I like:

...Ψ
Χ....Δ
...Σ

It sort of resembles the SNES layout, but not really.

I visualized the choices and I think the greek letters look just horrible. I would vote for either GP2X Style YBXA or sequence, because they are the best choices.
2rpxk48.jpg

Nice image Joppu. For the numerical buttons could you try changing the 2 to 1, 3 to 2 and 1 to 3?

sindbad said:
They look horrible because of the font. Find another.

So what, I can use any font I want. Feel free to create your own pics with whatever font you want.

Javacat said:
Nice image Joppu. For the numerical buttons could you try changing the 2 to 1, 3 to 2 and 1 to 3?
Like this?
2568eo8.jpg

The layout I had came from my USB gamepad :D

logitech_dual_action_gamepad.gif

Thanks! I prefer that layout so much more than any of the others, especially the greek thing. It's the same layout as my Saitek controller (although that has two additional smaller buttons on the top right)

If NSEW, then there should be a slightly indication of a Compass Rose around/underneeth. :) The current Pandora Design has a Circle under the action Buttons, this could be updated with a nice relief of a Compass Rose, just a quick Idea of course.

Back