Which System's Game Will You Play The Most ?

Between those supposedly newly or better emulated systems

• Commodore Amiga

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Super Nintendo

• Nintendo 64

• Sony Playstation

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Sega CD & 32X

• Atari Jaguar

• Nintendo Game Boy Advance

• IBM PC games (Dosbox...)

• Total voters

Neo Geo and CPS2 emulation will certainly top my list, but I voted PC Engine since that will also be a huge asset if there's a decent emulator released that can handle PCE CDs well... Since I already have an excellent handheld PS1 system (it's called the PSP :p ), I don't actually need PS1 emulation on anything else, so what I'm really looking forward to in terms of consoles (ie: besides getting more great MAME games playable) is perfect SNES and PCE emulation, a good Jaguar emu (mostly for Tempest 2K and AvP, of course), and to a lesser extent, the N64.

I'll probably wait until at least half of these are available before plunking down the cash for a Pandora - I don't mind paying the price for hardware that good if there's something to play on it that I want to play, but the emulators are what will sell me on the system in the end...

Pity we can't make multiple choices in the poll :)

My list, in order of priority, would be:
-PSX
-SEGA
-C64
-SNES
-MAME
-GBA
-DosBox

Looking forward to N64 much more so than PSX. (I have no experiance in coding, so i don't know how much harder this is / how much more work needs to be put in) and of course Amiga. :)

In order, I'm looking forward to:

PSX
SNES
MSX
N64
MAME
Neo Geo
GBA
Megadrive/Mega CD/32X

Even though the Megadrive's one of my favourite consoles, since we already have brilliant Megadrive emulation on the GP2X it's not much of a bonus. I want PSX emulation badly, 'cause I have some PSX games that I've never played before and my playstation's in the attic somewhere! I'm also interested in trying out some Amiga and PC Engine stuff, because I've never been on them before. And I really want to see fullspeed (or practically fullspeed) MSX emulation.

PC Engine games are great, it's like the Japanese version of SNE-...D'OH!

;) I had one imported as a kid, so did my neighbor. Practically arcade perfect gameplay in many games and the graphics were too, or not far off, I really hope that some kind and smart person will pick that up.

All the classic computers and consoles up to and including the 8 bit systems, especially the Amstrad CPC 464.

I think that PSX and N64 emulation is going to be awesome (ZOMG N64's F-Zero!) but I think that computer emulation will really make this thing awesome, because not only will we have decent power to emulate most computer systems of interests, but we'll also have the adequate input.

It will be a first when it comes to handheld, and I think that when it emulates correctly the major computer systems of the 1990's, everyone will want a Pandora. I mean come on, Windows 98 in your pocket? GTFO here! :)

I only hope that devs who usually are into console emulation will be interested by the making of such emulations (even tho I guess we can't hope for much effort in the Macintosh/BeBox emulation...) :(

I kinda fail to see why one would have a reason to emulate win95/98, or anything later, not to mention the huge powerhouse called CPU that would take. Something like Wine, perhaps, but i hold it very unlikely that it will be widely used, even if made rather easy. DOSbox, or some other DOS emulator i find a lot more likely, since thats an a lot less complex environment to emulate. What is it you would want to do on a really old, poor, and outdated Microsoft OS you cant do on a Windows Mobile powered PDA ?

Mr B said:
I kinda fail to see why one would have a reason to emulate win95/98, or anything later, not to mention the huge powerhouse called CPU that would take. Something like Wine, perhaps, but i hold it very unlikely that it will be widely used, even if made rather easy. DOSbox, or some other DOS emulator i find a lot more likely, since thats an a lot less complex environment to emulate. What is it you would want to do on a really old, poor, and outdated Microsoft OS you cant do on a Windows Mobile powered PDA ?
Right, something like Wine, except with CPU emulation, so that would be nothing like Wine. Why emulate a PC able of Windows 98? Why emulate old Amiga systems? Anyways, I know little about what a DOS emulator can do, nor what Windows CE can do, nor what it takes to run Windows CE, all I know is, emulating a PC able of Windows 98 would be awesome, because you could run anything that could be ran on Windows 98, with all the compatibility it implies.

I guess a general purpose PC emulator would be awesome no matter what. Are there any (open source ones) out there we could use on the Pandora? (I said emulators, not virtual machines)

Last edited by a moderator:
A_SN said:
Right, something like Wine, except with CPU emulation, so that would be nothing like Wine.
It would be a lot more like wine, then like a conventional emulator. Conventional emulators emulate hardware, while this thing would have to emulate the software layer, and not the hardware. The software layer is going to be a major pain to emulate, but thats pretty much all Cedega, Wine, and anything else does. Yes, its simplified, and no, i wont be able to do it. I'd be somewhat amazed if someone gets a working environment of win95 going, that supports even 2D Diablo. I'd be happy as few, but still amazed.

A_SN said:
Why emulate old Amiga systems?
Just like the consoles the Amiga has 1 hardware configuration for each model. Try comparing that to a Windows 98 computer.

A_SN said:
Anyways, I know little about what a DOS emulator can do, nor what Windows CE can do, nor what it takes to run Windows CE
DOS emulators, just as it sounds like, lets you run DOS software. Mainly games, but anything you like really.

A_SN said:
all I know is, emulating a PC able of Windows 98 would be awesome, because you could run anything that could be ran on Windows 98, with all the compatibility it implies.
Emulating a PC, with all the hardware, just isn't going to happen. There is no need for it either. You just emulate the software layer between the hardware, and the user run software. Comparing it to a Amiga emu, it would be like emulating the workbench environment instead of the actual Amiga. (Which just so happens, is exactly what DOSbox and others do, but for DOS.)

A_SN said:
I guess a general purpose PC emulator would be awesome no matter what. Are there any (open source ones) out there we could use on the Pandora? (I said emulators, not virtual machines)
What is the end result your wanting, really? Do you want to emulate a PC, where you can install any OS, have it boot, and install any software, or do you want to emulate a software environment where you can install said software, and ignore the hardware step? The later is easier, but for obvious reasons not as flexible. And, with easier, i mean "might just be possible, with years of working on it." The closest thing i can think of right now is Cedega, and / or Wine, and they have years of work, from loads of people under the hood, and still doesn't really work properly.
B!

Mr B said:
It would be a lot more like wine, then like a conventional emulator. Conventional emulators emulate hardware, while this thing would have to emulate the software layer, and not the hardware. The software layer is going to be a major pain to emulate, but thats pretty much all Cedega, Wine, and anything else does. Yes, its simplified, and no, i wont be able to do it. I'd be somewhat amazed if someone gets a working environment of win95 going, that supports even 2D Diablo. I'd be happy as few, but still amazed.

So let's see, instead of simply going with good old hardware emulation, you'd wanna go with the hassle of a Wine-like solution, PLUS a CPU emulation, all of this to get hardly any performance bonus from a full PC emulation (the biggest performance hit on emulations is CPU emulation, right?) with a fairly limited compatibility, as a full PC emulation would get it all working just as on the real thing?

DOS emulators, just as it sounds like, lets you run DOS software. Mainly games, but anything you like really.

So that won't work with programs/games that can work with Windows 98 and that won't work with DOS, which is most of whatever's been made ever since the mid/late 90's?

Emulating a PC, with all the hardware, just isn't going to happen. There is no need for it either. You just emulate the software layer between the hardware, and the user run software. Comparing it to a Amiga emu, it would be like emulating the workbench environment instead of the actual Amiga. (Which just so happens, is exactly what DOSbox and others do, but for DOS.)

You mean that Bochs and Virtual PC (the non-x86 versions) (can we say QEMU) don't exist? Oh yeah, why bother with emulating when it's all "as simple" as creating a software compatibility layer like Wine does (sarcasm)

What is the end result your wanting, really? Do you want to emulate a PC, where you can install any OS, have it boot, and install any software, or do you want to emulate a software environment where you can install said software, and ignore the hardware step? The later is easier, but for obvious reasons not as flexible. And, with easier, i mean "might just be possible, with years of working on it." The closest thing i can think of right now is Cedega, and / or Wine, and they have years of work, from loads of people under the hood, and still doesn't really work properly.
B!
You're an idiot, and you don't know what time it is. There is no such thing that is possible on a non-x86 platform as Cedega or Wine. The only solution is full emulation, which is already there (like I said, Bochs, QEMU, I just looked up and it seems that it's it). What the hell do you mean by "easier" anyways? Easier in what sense? In the programatical sense? Not a chance in hell, it's a lot easier to emulate hardware than to do what Wine does with added CPU emulation. Or from the user point of view maybe? Is Wine simpler to use than say VMware? Nope, I honnestly have no idea what the hell you meant.

It all seems like you forgot that you'll have to emulate the CPU no matter what, maybe because despite your know-it-all attitude you're a moron?

Mr B, I don't think you understand how and why Wine works. You can use high level emulation to improve performance in emulating OSes but you can't just "emulate a software layer" if the CPU you're emulating isn't compatible with what you're emulating on.

And DOSBox does actually emulate PC hardware. Even if it does have high level emulation for some DOS routines many games hit the hardware directly so it's required.

A_SN said:
So let's see, instead of simply going with good old hardware emulation, you'd wanna go with the hassle of a Wine-like solution, PLUS a CPU emulation, all of this to get hardly any performance bonus from a full PC emulation (the biggest performance hit on emulations is CPU emulation, right?) with a fairly limited compatibility, as a full PC emulation would get it all working just as on the real thing?
You forget that a PC isn't a set spec hardware. You would have to emulate the hardware, run the software layer, and ontop of that add the software of your choice. Compare that with emulating a fake environment to which you inject the software you want to run, and only emulate the software layer between the hardware, and the software itself.

A_SN said:
So that won't work with programs/games that can work with Windows 98 and that won't work with DOS, which is most of whatever's been made ever since the mid/late 90's?
I don't know if i understood your question propperly. DOS emulators, don't give a flying fook about the hardware, it emulates the software layer in between the software of your choice, and the hardware.

A_SN said:
You mean that Bochs and Virtual PC (the non-x86 versions) (can we say QEMU) don't exist?
Feel free to get back to me when your able to run either, with a windows install inside, and a usefull software on it. As i said, not happening.

A_SN said:
You're an idiot, and you don't know what time it is.
Your an asshole, if we are about to begin name calling. Its about 23:14 here btw.

A_SN said:
It all seems like you forgot that you'll have to emulate the CPU no matter what, maybe because despite your know-it-all attitude you're a moron?
Your not emulating cpu features, your emulating the software layer in between the software, and the hardware, completely ignoring what CPU architecture the software actually runs on. Just like DOS emulators, they simply take the software, and run it through the machine. Just like DOSbox, it doesn't really emulate a cpu, a memory, a harddrive, a soundcard, and so on, just the software environment through which the software is running. Any user run software on a PC is at best a second layer software. Thats why they work with all the different hardwares. Once you figure that out, the rest should be easy to figure out for ya...
B!

Mr B said:
Your not emulating cpu features, your emulating the software layer in between the software, and the hardware, completely ignoring what CPU architecture the software actually runs on.
I'm speechless. Seriously. Okay, almost.

You can't run code compiled for one CPU architecture on a totally different one. Ignoring this won't make it happen.

Mr B said:
Feel free to get back to me when your able to run either, with a windows install inside, and a usefull software on it. As i said, not happening.
Hi! I'm back! And so is my Windows 98 QEMU install! With Fire Fight!

Mr B said:
Just like DOSbox, it doesn't really emulate a cpu, a memory, a harddrive, a soundcard, and so on
Except DOSbox does emulate all those things.

You forget that a PC isn't a set spec hardware. You would have to emulate the hardware, run the software layer, and ontop of that add the software of your choice.

No dumbass, you only need to emulate one set of hardware. That's why things like Virtual PC or VMware emulate precise real-life pieces of hardware.

DOS emulators, don't give a flying fook about the hardware, it emulates the software layer in between the software of your choice, and the hardware.

You're just talking out of your arse. "DOS emulators" emulate hardware too http://www.dosbox.com/status.php?show_status=1

You retard, Virtual PC has been running Windows and Windows apps and games on PowerPC Macintoshes for over a decade.

Your not emulating cpu features, your emulating the software layer in between the software, and the hardware, completely ignoring what CPU architecture the software actually runs on.

Ha! C'est marrant que tu dises ça, parce que ça montre que tu ne connais rien aux processeurs. La difference entre les architectures est qu'elles "parlent" une langue différente. Tu dois donc traduire ce qu'elles disent. Tu ne peux pas complètement ignorer ce fait tout comme tu ne peux pas ignorer le fait que ce message est en français, et que pour le comprendre tu dois le traduire. Same thing for CPUs.

PS : Mr. B, quit using Direct Connect, it sucks ;)

I'll be buying it mainly for N64 (Portable Ocarina Of Time, Majoras Mask, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye and Mario 64 B) ) and SNES. I'll use it for NES, MS and MD too but my GP2x already does those.

Back