Unofficial Blog Poll

The choices available are:

• The current blog - keep it as it is!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Custom header, fixed width of 800 pixels)

• Slightly smaller custom header, very plain graphics, fixed width of 800 pixels)

• Flexible width, custom colours, no custom header and 3 columns

• The very first theme the blog had.

• Total voters

mazza558

Since people keep requesting for me to change the blog theme, here's a poll detailing the theme options. Bear in mind each choice comes with a compromise, as no theme offers what would be perfect.

(note - flexible width means the page resizes based on the size of the browser window and custom header means that we can use our own banner or logo at the top of the blog)

I will go with whichever option has the most votes. I'm not going to vote, otherwise it might skew the results.

the question is: does it really matter? I like the blog how it is and wouldn't really care if the theme was changed.

I suggest to leave it as it is now for at least one week and then ask again. Those changes should have time to settle a bit, before changing again IMO. Personally I find the current design quite appealing :)

CC_machine said:
the question is: does it really matter? I like the blog how it is and wouldn't really care if the theme was changed.
I've been tweaking the theme without much direct input from the community, and that's not really fair. Whichever gets the most votes will be stuck to. There's an option for those who don't care: "leave it as it is!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever you do, increase the width. There's too much scrolling needed.

sindbad said:
Whatever you do, increase the width. There's too much scrolling needed.
The problem is, the current layout can perfectly work with little to no scrolling, but the problem is it seems, they only have access to limited amount of layouts. And if they want oa to remove the "wasted" space below each post, they need to buy a css package or something like that.

I say, leave it alone until a better solution can be found.

Btw: How much control do you have over the layout? There are a few tricks, like trying to insert css overrides in the html ( or a blog posts code ).

mazza558 said:
CC_machine said:
I've been tweaking the theme without much direct input from the community, and that's not really fair. Whichever gets the most votes will be stuck to. There's an option for those who don't care: "leave it as it is!"

not to sound offensive and all, but

"i don't really care so long as it works" != "i like the blog as it is instead of those other options"

voted the first though, I like the blog :)

Benjiro said:
Btw: How much control do you have over the layout? There are a few tricks, like trying to insert css overrides in the html ( or a blog posts code ).

I can:

- Change the theme
- If it allows custom colours, change them
- Add a custom header, if the theme allows it
- Add/move/edit widgets (which widgets are available depends on the theme)

That's as far as it goes without paying £20 for the custom CSS upgrade. However, if there are some tricks, I don't know about them.

I think it looks good, but I agree with sinbad that it would be good to increase the width so you don't have to scroll as often.

I love the latest theme, and I love the fact it's gonna fit the pandora screen nicely when it's finally finished. I'll mainly use that to access the blog and stuff when it's out! Plus the constant updating is very nice, thanks Mazza.

I think that we should wait until the Pandora comes out or do some tests with an 800 pixel wide window and see which theme works best on it. I know I'll be checking it on my Pandora often to quickly see when cool stuff comes out.

there's a "simple" solution: add a menu to the sidebar which allows switching themes for particular user. The current theme for each person would be saved as a cookie or such. Or even the simplest one: solve the problem by ignoring it :)

I've checked the blog from my N800(same resolution as Pandora) just now, it's a perfect fit :) The header isn't too big, you can read the headline of the topmost entry. Just leave it as it is, because you won't have to change it back when Pandora is out then ;)

mali said:
I've checked the blog from my N800(same resolution as Pandora) just now, it's a perfect fit :) The header isn't too big, you can read the headline of the topmost entry. Just leave it as it is, because you won't have to change it back when Pandora is out then ;)
This is what I found when I tried it using an 800px wide browser - it seemed to work fine - if anything, the blog header acts almost like a "start page" on such a small browser.

i don't care about the layout. the blog saves me about 30 min every day so i'm happy with it.

The only suggestion I'd make is to distance the tags on the right from the margins, so it doesn't run right up against its borders.

However, as I understand it, you have no CSS control. Perhaps you could contact the theme author?

With the current header, on a 800x480 display, you will only see the blog header.

I vote for a minimal header (not more than 80 pixels height), 800 pixels width (or dynamic if it fits well on a 800 pixels display) and two columns.

CoMiKe said:
With the current header, on a 800x480 display, you will only see the blog header.

I vote for a minimal header (not more than 80 pixels height), 800 pixels width (or dynamic if it fits well on a 800 pixels display) and two columns.
Great idea! Minimise the header please! It's an awesome header, but compact it more so when the pandy is in our handies, we'll be ready! I'll throw in the silly +1 for luck.

Back