New Button Poll With Impossibles Removed

What should the labels on the 4 buttons be on the Pandora?

• NSEW (North South East West)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Greek Letter (SNES order?) α, β, χ, γ

• P & | A (P and or A) [or P & / A for non-programmers]

• Sequence (1,2,3,4 / I,II,III,IV / A, B, C, D / A1, A2, A3, A4 / etc.)

• GP2X Style YBXA

• Other - List below

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Simplicity is key IMO, if you want the greatest audience, you need to use universal language; this isolates greek letters and sequence values as well as symbols.
α, β, χ, γ or
1,2,3,4 / I,II,III,IV or
PSX style square, circle, etc...

The only trouble with sequences is that noobs might press/get confused by the keyboard equivilents of the control buttons (eg "Press 1 to play" - does that mean press the keyboard button 1 or the control button 1?) Same would apply for A,B,C,D or N,S,E,W.

Is it too late in the day to suggest coloured control buttons? (this may well have already been mentioned - if so, forgive me). Not sure they'd look right, but it's an alternative ;) Maybe the control buttons could have just circles of colour on them?

iprice said:
The only trouble with sequences is that noobs might press/get confused by the keyboard equivilents of the control buttons (eg "Press 1 to play" - does that mean press the keyboard button 1 or the control button 1?) Same would apply for A,B,C,D or N,S,E,W.

Is it too late in the day to suggest coloured control buttons? (this may well have already been mentioned - if so, forgive me). Not sure they'd look right, but it's an alternative ;) Maybe the control buttons could have just circles of colour on them?

Well, UI Design is independent; the business owners can suggest ways to keeping UI clean and usable, but it's the job of the software developers to ensure a user can understand WHICH button to press. One characteristic that can set apart a gamepad button from a keyboard key is encircling any reference to the buttons and surrounding keys with single quotes ('1','I','X'). The users are never wrong; as a developer I've always faced the challenge of making software easy to understand and use. This is what has been going on with automobiles: engineers know how to design cars but they don't know how to design them to be easy to work on because most of them never look at it from the user's perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sphinxter said:
I've changed my mind it should be;

Clover, Crescent Moon, Horseshoe, Hourglass

ah dammit, that'll get craig sued too

Not me lucky charms!

How about just blank buttons and a small box of crayons so people can scribble whatever labels they like. :p

In which case I'd just leave mine blank.

Prophet said:
How about just blank buttons and a small box of crayons so people can scribble whatever labels they like. :p
I'd prefer sticky labels rather than crayons ;)

If you used 1,2,3,4 you could then relabel the number keys at the top as F1, F2, F3, etc :p

Javacat said:
If you used 1,2,3,4 you could then relabel the number keys at the top as F1, F2, F3, etc :p
Then what do you do for 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0? That would be horribly confusing. If it were a number sequence, then I, II, III, IV is really the only option IMHO.

Still, I suspect this entire poll/thread is moot and the decision has already been long-made...

as a developer I've always faced the challenge of making software easy to understand and use.

I agree, and that's why my GP2X game, B'lox! offered easy to use controls, options and a level editor together with as much info as I could possibly give on even the simplest of things (floating tool tips etc. All keys could be used for play and shoulder buttons allowed faster switching in menus etc.) :)

User accessibility should be at the forefront of ALL software development.

"User accessibility should be at the forefront of ALL software development."
something that adobe etc...should take to heart.
learning photoshop is not for the faint of spirit.
all those buttons...*shudders*
and (no offense) but the gimp is almost worse.

magicman5421 said:
the gimp is almost worse.
As someone who uses Photoshop almost everyday for my job - I can tell you GIMP *is* worse. If for no other reason than it's almost as complicated and does half the job.

BTW, I used GIMP for a couple of years before I actually got a full legal version of Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium. And I owned "Gimpshop.net" for a long time promoting it. But, facts is facts - for heavy duty work - Photoshop kicks ass.

But, I think we're getting off subject.

How about four colored dots?

.......red
green blue
......white

After all, when I'm playing I'll be thinking "B" or "X" according to the game I'm playing anyway.

My main concern with greek letters is that it'll be impossible for most people to type them on forums or in readmes or whatever

Just name them - alpha, beta chi, psi. Or use Unicode to get the actual symbols, but I don't think that comes under most people...

I'm all for greek letters in the snes order. That way they won't get confused with the keyboard buttons, and the snes order is awesome

Kyosys said:
I'm all for greek letters in the snes order. That way they won't get confused with the keyboard buttons, and the snes order is awesome
Agreed. That sounds perfect.

k3nn said:
My main concern with greek letters is that it'll be impossible for most people to type them on forums or in readmes or whatever
Simple, just use: [a], , [x], [y] as a common shorthand, as these are the letters they will look like.

Back