Lets Talk Usb Accessories!

please vote the following

• Accelerometer!!! tilting he device for steering rulez!

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • A camera ofcource, i wanna use my pandora for everything!

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • A simtray for bothering people with prankcalls :D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GPS device, why not use it for on the road?

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • TV tuner.(maby a little big)

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • FM-Radio, becouse you dont have internet everywhere!

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Fingerprint scanner, the ultimate way to boot up the pandora!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A extra battery of about 1000~2000 spare mah.

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

There are only two situations I know of when downloading a ROM off of the internet could be acceptable.
1. You own a physical copy of the game, but the anti-piracy protection prevents you from copying it yourself.

2. The game has neither been released in your country nor in a language you know, so a ROM with a translation patch is the only way you could play it. (i.e. Earthbound Zero)

3. The game isn't commercially available anymore, so nobody is going to lose any money from you not buying it.

Last edited by a moderator:
3. The game isn't commercially available anymore, so nobody is going to lose any money from you not buying it.
As Nintendo has proven, just because it's not available now doesn't mean they won't pull it out later. In which case they are losing money from you not buying it because you aren't likely to buy it again once it does come back on sale again.

I dunno if this is the best place for this, but as it's a USB accessory:
snaggstuff.com has a roll-up keyboard with a blue EL (electroluminescent) backlight for $15 (not sure what shipping's like). For those considering getting one of these keyboards, this is about the price I usually see non-backlit rollup keyboards go for. I believe the company's in the U.S. though so all you Ozzies and Europeans and such may not be in luck.

As for me, I was down for one until I saw the small backspace key - I need a double-length backspace key. I type fairly fast, but I make a fair amount of typos (more on QWERTY than DVORAK but that's not really an issue :p) so I'm not going to get one. Thought someone else might be interested, though. Also remember these are USB 1.0 or 1.1, not USB 2.0, so they will not work with Pandora unless you have a hub or use the USB OTG port (which definitely provides enough power for a keyboard, even w/ the backlight.)

Looks like shipping's $5. There might be a better deal on these eventually but if you were considering getting one, it might be worth it - at least you'll have a toy while you wait for pandora :)

Well now, I made a pretty lousy video and within 48 hours the whole thing exploded into a veritable WWW hype (the project was featured on Hackaday, Engadget, and Gizmodo. Over 13,000 views on YouTube"].

For anyone who is interested, I made a project website:

http://www.snega2usb.com

Enjoy!
Matthias
Looks awesome. Ever thought about making a version that could mount on the back of the Pandora? That way you could plug in your Sega Genesis and/or SNES games like you were plugging games into your Sega Nomad.
-God Ginrai[/quote]I dunno if this is the best place for this, but as it's a USB accessory:
snaggstuff.com has a roll-up keyboard with a blue EL (electroluminescent) backlight for $15 (not sure what shipping's like). For those considering getting one of these keyboards, this is about the price I usually see non-backlit rollup keyboards go for. I believe the company's in the U.S. though so all you Ozzies and Europeans and such may not be in luck.

As for me, I was down for one until I saw the small backspace key - I need a double-length backspace key. I type fairly fast, but I make a fair amount of typos (more on QWERTY than DVORAK but that's not really an issue :p) so I'm not going to get one. Thought someone else might be interested, though. Also remember these are USB 1.0 or 1.1, not USB 2.0, so they will not work with Pandora unless you have a hub or use the USB OTG port (which definitely provides enough power for a keyboard, even w/ the backlight.)

Looks like shipping's $5. There might be a better deal on these eventually but if you were considering getting one, it might be worth it - at least you'll have a toy while you wait for pandora :)

Why did you quote my post? It had nothing to do with Keyboards.

-God Ginrai

camera, GPS, microphone, etc... Would be awesome if you caught something funny happen while you were out and about and were able to record a video of it, and upload it somewhere right there.

radio should be awesome
and a program to record

i hate listning to the same music every time :/

u9i said:
I do not think an accelerometer will work well on the pandora, because it is a clam-shell design. Depending on how much you open the screen you get different controls as they are fixed to the body/base/not-screen. Also as pointed out, very few games would support an accelerometer.

A camera is in every mobile/cell, and usually better (albeit crappy) quality then a webcam.

I'm not even gonna comment on the others
<

The only useful thing on the list as i see it is a gps or the sim-phone-thingy
<
Well, i guess you could have a wire from the usb port and to the accelerometer and somehow glue/tape/click onto the back of the screen?

sllide said:
radio should be awesome
and a program to record

i hate listning to the same music every time :/
Actually, that's an idea I'd like to see!
I know there were SDIO-type FM radios for PDAs a few years ago (with their own headphones jack). But I'm having a time trying to find a USB FM tuner.
I imagine that once you get an FM device that's compatible with Linux, there are already capture capabilities built-in with modern distros, or easily gotten.

God Ginrai said:
http://www.snega2usb.com

Looks awesome. Ever thought about making a version that could mount on the back of the Pandora? That way you could plug in your Sega Genesis and/or SNES games like you were plugging games into your Sega Nomad.

-God Ginrai

I thought about it, but only for a little while. It is pretty clear that I will only make one version (but then again, if you want to, why not hack/mod it...). Any direct attachment to the Pandora would involve some serious mechanical tweaking, since a SNES cart alone is about the size of the entire Pandora :)

By the way, in case anyone wants one SOON (instead of waiting another Two Months[sup]TM[/sup]) and FOR FREE, they'd better think really hard and then enter the Official Naming Contest.... I am giving away exactly one out of two prototypes for the best proposal... Details on the homepage.

Matthias_H

Back