New Button Poll With Impossibles Removed

What should the labels on the 4 buttons be on the Pandora?

• NSEW (North South East West)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Greek Letter (SNES order?) α, β, χ, γ

• P & | A (P and or A) [or P & / A for non-programmers]

• Sequence (1,2,3,4 / I,II,III,IV / A, B, C, D / A1, A2, A3, A4 / etc.)

• GP2X Style YBXA

• Other - List below

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Gilrad's idea is a nice one imo... no way to get confused with keyboard buttons for the user...

Although I do enjoy the jokes of STFU and GTFO, would be confusing if someone sat there hitting the A button on the keyboard, not thinking of the buttons...

The heart, club, spade, diamond one is unique also, but seems more geared towards a gambling machine...

Personally I would enjoy telling somebody that the code is alpha and omega at the same time ;)

Javacat said:
Can someone do another poll where we vote for what we don't want. My vote on that poll would be for the greek letters :p

Other than that, for this poll I don't care too much, although I would prefer 1234.
In fact I think every poll should be preceeded by a poll to decide weather the poll s wanted or not.

So this thread would be a proposal for a poll:

I want a poll about buttons

Here are my proposed options

Do you want a poll

Yes/No

Only if yes got more than 50% would a poll proceed.

It's the only reasonable solution, really.

Unless you're going to have a 'dont care' option. But that's been ruled out already.....

Last edited by a moderator:
The "Don't care" option was only ruled out because it got the most votes :D

Chad didn't seem to like that, so he made another poll, despite knowing that most people simply don't care about the buttons.

Squidge said:

Chad didn't seem to like that, so he made another poll, despite knowing that most people simply don't care about the buttons.
The problem with "don't care" is it can either mean:
1. I don't care enough to change from the default layout (i.e. keep the gp2x style - this IS on chad's list)
2. I don't care, you guys can change it as you wish (i.e. most popular option wins)

Seeing as most people who voted "don't care" didn't clarify their intent, the ambiguity remained. Who's to decide what "don't care" means?

Anyways, polls always have limitations.

quartercast said:
Who's to decide what "don't care" means?
Well for me it means, 'I don't care what the buttons are, I just want to get my hands on a damn Pandora, so stop bugging Craigix and MWeston so they can get on with releasing it.'

Hmm while we on the subject what about the shoulder buttons?. Instead of L + R how about 1 + 2 or A B ??? :D .

Ok, there's something I don't understand:
There are people that don't care. So what? That means whatever the rest of us choose, THEY'RE OK WITH IT.
Personally I didn't see anything wrong with allowing "don't care" option, but I also see nothing wrong with leaving that out. Now the people that didn't care the last time, probably just won't vote. "Don't care" option IMO is only useful for people interested about statistics, and ultimately won't affect the final outcome.

Also, why aren't the Greek letters αβχψ ? I thought everybody liked it in previous threads.

The poll's last Greek letter is upper case Upsilon (presumably), whereas the rest are lower case.
Furthermore, chi and psi would be consecutive in Greek alphabet, just like X and Y are in normal Latin alphabet... And with a slightly warped mind psi (ψ) resembles Y.

Gruso's render to demonstrate (I think it was shown in previous threads also, hopefully he doesn't mind):
pandorakeys2xp7.jpg

These threads are great. It shows that the PANDORA creators are continually asking the community for input on the device. This helps me decide that it is going to be a device that I will purchase.

A couple of things with these buttons, although I like the direction that the voting is going...
Any alpha numeric character (not including the greek symbols) should be ruled out because it could cause confusion when writing documentation for apps. ie

"I am pressing button A". <-- While madly mashing A on the qwerty keyboard.

Squidge said:

If the don't care option is the most voted for it shouldt really affect feedback either way. Those that do care will still vote for what they want to vote for. If the don't care option is the most selected then simply look to the second most popular choce.

By not having the option, some people will probably feel compelled to make a choice that they wouldn't really have wanted.

On the other hand, by having the 'dont care' option in the poll you still get a good representation of how important or unimportant it is to people on the whole, whilst still retaining the opinions of people who do care.

At the end of the day the first poll was pertty silly. This one is very silly. And I really don't know why I'm even getting involved in the whole debate.

I suppose I gotta do something to pass the time until Pandora arrives... :D

london said:
Hmm while we on the subject what about the shoulder buttons?. Instead of L + R how about 1 + 2 or A B ??? :D .
Good idea, maybe we should make a poll ;)

doc5avage said:
These threads are great. It shows that the PANDORA creators are continually asking the community for input on the device.
Actually, they don't give a damn about all these button threads ;).

The poll's last Greek letter is upper case Upsilon (presumably), whereas the rest are lower case.
Furthermore, chi and psi would be consecutive in Greek alphabet, just like X and Y are in normal Latin alphabet... And with a slightly warped mind psi (ψ) resembles Y.

It's a lowercase gamma. An capital upsilon looks similar:
small gamma: γ
capital upsilon: Υ

But yes, I think that chi and psi are better than chi and gamma, for consistency.

Ok, so if the Greek option is chosen, would we say "press A, Y, X" or something like "press [a], [y], [x]"? Obviously, most keyboards don't have Greek letters on them.

(my vote went to "1,2,3,4" or "A,B,C,D"; logical and easiest to remember)

Orkie said:
doc5avage said:
These threads are great. It shows that the PANDORA creators are continually asking the community for input on the device.
Actually, they don't give a damn about all these button threads ;).

Why would they since the die was actually cast for those last November, good for a few jokes and the Sony and Nintendo shills something to do while trying to create division and delays within the project.

Back