Release Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

The mouse controls in the menus are inverted from my default settings, making it really hard to operate the menus for me.

Surely it can use a different mode in-game and in the menus? The latter should really use the system-wide setting.

Also, would be nice if the left nub worked for movement, even if movement is still digital. It feels really weird to hold the Pandora asymmetrically like you have to do now.

It should really be stressed in the OP that it needs to be version 1.04, even though it is mentioned. Using 1.00 will fail to launch with no message (except in stdout/stderr, of course).

Otherwise, awesome port! Thanks for your hard work.

edit:

Also, where are the sources of the port? The original code is GPL, after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
^

It's inverted, but during gameplay I find it easier to play with the mouse movement on the right nub like it's currently setup. 

Typically nub settings are done in a start up script prior to launching the game, then later reverted to normal after the game exits.. I could see a hackish way to have it swap the nub settings around when entering the menu done directly in the code.. but I'm not sure ptitSeb would want to put in such a hackish change into the code.. 

The mouse controls in the menus are inverted from my default settings, making it really hard to operate the menus for me.

Surely it can use a different mode in-game and in the menus? The latter should really use the system-wide setting.

Also, would be nice if the left nub worked for movement, even if movement is still digital. It feels really weird to hold the Pandora asymmetrically like you have to do now.

It should really be stressed in the OP that it needs to be version 1.04, even though it is mentioned. Using 1.00 will fail to launch with no message (except in stdout/stderr, of course).

Otherwise, awesome port! Thanks for your hard work.

edit:

Also, where are the sources of the port? The original code is GPL, after all.
About the mouse, yes, sorry, I should have mentioned that I put config in "FPS" mode, mouse movement on right. About Left nub, during beta I tried to use it (using Joystick mode), but I couldn't activate it (no Joystick code in the Linux port I used AFAIK.

About Left/Right nub inversion, TrashyMG is right. I set it on startup script. It's another story to invert/put it back on enter menu / leaving menu.

About source code, give me a few days to clean it up, I'll send the diff to the git owner (and I'll put a copy of the diff here). Don't worry, I haven't the intention to keep it.

I don't think the inverted nubs is a problem.

It's confusing first but you'll get used to it pretty fast.

It's only needed to start the game so it shouldn't be a big problem.

Thanks Ptitseb, amazing game and I actually never played it on PC so just got installed it from GOG! I just have to get used to playing FPS with nubs... :)
I might have found a bug : When running the game from OpenBox and pressing right shoulder button or/and left I see my desktop flashing across the game and controls go completely crazy. I don't get that from the others GUI...

^

It's inverted, but during gameplay I find it easier to play with the mouse movement on the right nub like it's currently setup.
I agree.

Typically nub settings are done in a start up script prior to launching the game, then later reverted to normal after the game exits.. I could see a hackish way to have it swap the nub settings around when entering the menu done directly in the code.. but I'm not sure ptitSeb would want to put in such a hackish change into the code..
I don't see how such a change would be hacky? No reason to be afraid of changing the code when porting.

^

I agree.

I don't see how such a change would be hacky? No reason to be afraid of changing the code when porting.
The reason is, to change nubs, I see no other solution than to do a "system" call to the batch file with nubs parameter.

something like:

Code:
int ret=system("back_to_default.sh");

Code:
with the "back_to_default.sh" script handling the, well, back to default that I have saved before (default are saved in /temp/jedioutcast_nub0mode_before for left nub for example).

And something similar to swith back to default FPS mode.

The trickiest part is to be sure that you swicth to default when in menu (there are many menus), and switch back when in game. This is tricky, swithing the Nubs is, well, dirty programming, but not difficult.

[QUOTE="Anntao, post: 256751"]

Thanks Ptitseb, amazing game and I actually never played it on PC so just got installed it from GOG! I just have to get used to playing FPS with nubs...  :)

I might have found a bug : When running the game from OpenBox and pressing right shoulder button or/and left I see my desktop flashing across the game and controls go completely crazy. I don't get that from the others GUI...

[/QUOTE]Oh  :(

I don't use OpenBox, so I couldn't saw it. That doesn't sound good, and I have no idea on how to fix that.

^

I agree.
The reason is, to change nubs, I see no other solution than to do a "system" call to the batch file with nubs parameter.

something like:

Code:
int ret=system("back_to_default.sh");

Code:
with the "back_to_default.sh" script handling the, well, back to default that I have saved before (default are saved in /temp/jedioutcast_nub0mode_before for left nub for example).

And something similar to swith back to default FPS mode.

The trickiest part is to be sure that you swicth to default when in menu (there are many menus), and switch back when in game. This is tricky, swithing the Nubs is, well, dirty programming, but not difficult.

[QUOTE="Anntao, post: 256751"]

Thanks Ptitseb, amazing game and I actually never played it on PC so just got installed it from GOG! I just have to get used to playing FPS with nubs...  :)

[/QUOTE]Oh  :(

I don't use OpenBox, so I couldn't saw it. That doesn't sound good, and I have no idea on how to fix that.

Don't sweat it, I'll just run it from another GUI! This is great, thanks again!

[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I put the "base" folder, which consists of "assets0.pk3",  "assets1.pk3" and "jk2config.cfg", inside the jedioutcast folder but it doesn't work.  I try to start the game but nothing happen.  Any idea?

Sorry but I put the "base" folder, which consists of "assets0.pk3",  "assets1.pk3" and "jk2config.cfg", inside the jedioutcast folder but it doesn't work.  I try to start the game but nothing happen.  Any idea?
Did you install it on a computer and then update to 1.04 first, then copy the files over? 

Yeah, I had that same problem, then realized I hadn't updated to 1.04. Did that and it was right as rain. I even managed to turn mouse acceleration off in the config file. Now the only problem I have is I can't crouch and fire at the same time (I use left shoulder button for crouch and left-mouse to fire. Also I use an actual mouse.)

It's pretty cool having pocket jedi knights. Wonder if they'll open-source the first jedi knights game?

Edit: I changed the xfce window dragging key from left shoulder (shift) to right shoulder (ctrl). That fixed the crouch/firing issue.

Thanks Ptitseb, amazing game and I actually never played it on PC so just got installed it from GOG!
Are there different catalogues for different countries ? I can't find it on gog.com

Yeah, I had that same problem, then realized I hadn't updated to 1.04. Did that and it was right as rain. I even managed to turn mouse acceleration off in the config file. Now the only problem I have is I can't crouch and fire at the same time (I use left shoulder button for crouch and left-mouse to fire. Also I use an actual mouse.)

It's pretty cool having pocket jedi knights. Wonder if they'll open-source the first jedi knights game?

Edit: I changed the xfce window dragging key from left shoulder (shift) to right shoulder (ctrl). That fixed the crouch/firing issue.
I've tried using an external mouse with the demo version, but found the aiming very oversensitive, what would be your recommended settings for this?

About Mouse acceleration, I put a huge acceleration factor for the game to be usable with nubs. For mouse control, you'll have to lower it (it's in appdata/jedioutcast/home/.jk2/base/jk2config.cfg" file for full version, and .../demo/jk2config.cfg for demo).

Seeing the problem with OpenBox and xfce getting some keys input, I may have to change the way the XWindow is initiate, to avoid that... Will dig a bit.

I'd tried lowering the mouse sensitivity in the game preferences directly, but that didn't seem to make much difference. I'll try altering the config file later. I've had issues before using my wireless mouse for FPS's on Pandora (it seemed to impact the frame rate for Quake 2 for some reason, It's probably the same for all mouse activity, just more obvious with those)

I have to say this is pretty awesome - even my saved games from the PC Steam version work... Great Job!

I've tried using an external mouse with the demo version, but found the aiming very oversensitive, what would be your recommended settings for this?
I edited the jk2config.cfg (in the location seb specified) and changed seta cl_mouseAccel from "20" to "0". Then you can set the desired sensitivity in game.

Did you install it on a computer and then update to 1.04 first, then copy the files over? 
Yes I think I did  :)  .  But will try again after work.  Thanks

Back