Release OpenLara

Discussion in 'Software Releases' started by ptitSeb, Sep 30, 2018.

1. notaz

notaz Certified Guru

I much prefer the ES1 version for it's smoothness. Might be good to have an easier switch, but I'm ok with editing .es file too.

There is sometimes a crash in MeshBuilder::renderModel() when returning to main menu from the game, or when completing a level. gdb doesn't give an usable backtrace. Easiest way to reproduce is to complete Lara's home level (crashed 2/3 tries, ES1 mode, just run to the very end, jump into the pool and get out of it and the level should end).

There is also an issue of bats not falling to the ground after dying (might be OpenLara bug).

Seems to be ok in the ES1 version.

2. Magic Sam

Magic Sam Forever Homebrew

@notaz : you are right about the ES1 version. It's faster and the water effect doesn't glitch. But as @ptitSeb said, the lights are not quite correct...

I thought my Rebirth unit would default to ES1, but actually it uses ES2.

Cheers, Magic Sam

3. second exodous

second exodous Advanced Member

I kinda remember this just being a bug in Tomb Raider, I remember I had problems with the camera when going through underwater tunnels. Is this a completely new engine for Tomb Raider or does it use more than just the graphics?

4. ptitSeb

ptitSeb Serial Porter

I'll debug the crash tomorrow (I'll hold the version with configurable trigger until the bug is fixed I think).

The water "fog" bug with ES2, I noticed already, but it's not happening all the time. I'll check an option about a workaround already in the code for something like that (I think)...

For the Bats not falling down, yeah, I noticed that, and I assumed it was it's an OpenLara bug, but I'm not sure. I'll try to have a look, but I'm not sure.

About ES1 / ES2 selection, maybe I'll do a message box question at start, with the default value beeing the same as previous launch (so you can just press enter if you don't want any change).

5. Palmiga

Palmiga Member

Tomb Raider 1 from the directors cut wont work. Tomb Raider 3 works on my 1Ghz pandora, but Lara couldnt slide down the big slide at the beginning. She hangs after a few meters.

6. xnopasaranx

xnopasaranx Superbad!

@ptitSeb the bats do not fall down in the webGL version either, so I'd assume it is a bug in openlara and not with your port.

7. ptitSeb

ptitSeb Serial Porter

New version on the repo.

I added shoulder buttons, they should be configurable now.
    Also, I fixed a bug in gl4es, with the deletion of Framebuffer. I think that was the issue with the end of level, but I'm not sure. To be safe, I have left all debug info in the binaries this time.
    Also, I added some zenity dialog to choose between GLES 1 and 2. Previous choice is remembered so just press "enter" to go with previous choice.

Build 05
    -----------

• Pandora shoulder buttons can be configured
    • Added non-intrusive dialog to choose GLES 1 or 2
    • Fixed a bug in gl4es with Framebuffer deletion

PokeParadox, rSl, xnopasaranx and 2 others like this.
  8. PokeParadox

PokeParadox Founder of Pirate Games - Penjin Coder Staff Member

Thanks for this! I finally got some time to try this out and it's quite nice. ES feels better overall although I did notice some minor glitches. ES2 felt more like the original software rendering, i.e. a little sluggish around 20-30fps.

Is there, or could there be an easy way to switch between data files? I basically copied all TR1-3 files but can only launch TR1?

9. ptitSeb

ptitSeb Serial Porter

Mmm, I don't know, I have only tried using TR1 data files... I'll do some experiment with TR2 and TR3, but my guess is that it take the 1st one it find for now.

10. Palmiga

Palmiga Member

The only game that works here is TR3, but I stuck at the first slide.
    TR2 shows only the first 2 videos, the game wont start.
    Still no luck with my TR1-Version.:'(