Is there really a light at the end of the journey...?

@hns these are amazing news! The board can be used as a pyra automatic build and testing environment for example!

Maybe you should create an own thread? It is definitely worth it.

How and when can you order this? Is there going to be complete set of mainboard+CPU available?

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Yes, but painted, not anodized (sigh).
One thing to check next week as well.
In worst case, I'll let a german company do that. There are tons that can laser-cut anodized aluminium...

Ordered as anodized and delivered as painted... Did they happen to also do it out of the same gauge material as the heat sink sheets? Wondering if they did that for a small quantity to avoid cutting into a full new roll of material?

Was this 'all 500' or was it another smaller test run?

The 500 order is dependent on this sample being good. Yes, we're still at that stage, but ED needed to see a good sample before placing that order.

If you cut anodised aluminium, isn't the newly exposed edge (which is rapidly self-anodising) not going to be tinted like the rest of the surface. In my limited experience, aluminium parts with extended, dyed anoidised coatings are usually done after the part has been formed mechanically. Unless the undyed silver line is intentional - it might show up the colour of the LEDs beneath better.

Tony, hns,notaz, zmatt, amc... they all deserve their appreciation and donation.
Most likely I forgot a lot of people.

But lets not derail this thread. Create a new one.

Edit: My mistake, I didn't see, I was already in the derailed news thread.

Also: who was the nice person to give ED and hns access to the analytics software for the PCBs?

Last edited:
Reactions: rSl
Harsh, BBCs were in every school at the time so there was a valid reason for parents buying them for their kids, not sure what the Amstrad argument was ;). Of course if you couldn't afford a BBC (like my parents couldn't) then you ended up with an Acorn Electron, which I still have, also doesn't have the tendency to set on fire like BBCs do these days (I've had two do it on me now).

Our school had 2 C64s, two Spectrums networked via IF1 (for gaming purposes, both) and for serious stuff we have RM380-Zs :)

The IT Lab teacher was asked to get BBCs but he didn't see the point - they didn't have software available that he wanted for general computing tasks and didn't play games as well the C64/Spec so we never got any.

@klapse: And how do we go about this? Send ED money with a message that it's for dev's?

ps: I still have a small backpack that I promised to... don't remember which dev. Need to check my old messages

--
Is there a journey at the end of the light?

Last edited:
There was no video game crash of 83 in Europe, but there was a home computer crash in 1983. There were simply too many home computer manufactorers so some had to go. Acorn and Sinclair where the most famous victims, but most countries had their own home brands that disapeared around this time. The difference was that no one declared home computers dead, only that the market was saturated so it’s not remembered as a crash.

The IT Lab teacher was asked to get BBCs but he didn't see the point - they didn't have software available that he wanted for general computing tasks and didn't play games as well the C64/Spec so we never got any.
Didn't play games as well as the Spectrum? The spectrum has the much bigger library, but most of its conversions of arcade games were blinky blippy affairs. It's a great little machine for adventure games with all that RAM and good for static images having twice the number of colours as the BBC and a higher resolution, so graphic adventures were the best on that machine (at least versus the BBC micro, no idea about adventure games on the C64 to be fair). But the BBC got some great arcade conversions, and later on especially some great original games with only a little bit of sprite flickering. Of course, the C64 had most of those arcade games too, so it's a matter of whether more pixel perfect games of defender and sinistar really matter that much to you.

Goodness me, didn't you see any of the Ultimate games? Horace? Raf Cecco's games? Jon Ritman and Bernie Drummond? Ocean, Imagine, Ultimate, Psion, Hewson, Firebird, Software Projects et al? There was an absolute plethora of amazingly good, very playable games on the Spectrum! Some were monochrome, some not. Some had beepy tunes, others had awesome compositions of multi-channel tunes on the single beeper (prior to the 128k's AY chip)...

For gaming, the beeb never stood a chance. By the end of its life, the Speccy had nigh-on 6000 games available for it, with a much higher proportion of actually playable stuff than other platforms. Although the Beeb beat the Speccy by having a marginally better version of Elite, the Speccy got a full solid-shaded 3D version of Carrier Command :D

I do. Here some screenshots:

View attachment 31837 View attachment 31838 View attachment 31839 View attachment 31840

It actually works with my voice enabled USB 3G modem on my Ubuntu Laptop and on my GPD win(Win10), so it seems to be portable.
I think it should also work with the Pyra Modem but i will see when i get a Pyra.
There is still much to do but as i will marry in a few weeks, i have not too much time actually :/
I had another question about this software. Where will it store contacts? On the SIM card? I would love it if it would read them from the SIM card, but write them to both the SIM card and a file in a location of my choice. That way if anything happened to the SIM card or the Pyra I wouldn't lose my contacts.

I had another question about this software. Where will it store contacts? On the SIM card? I would love it if it would read them from the SIM card, but write them to both the SIM card and a file in a location of my choice. That way if anything happened to the SIM card or the Pyra I wouldn't lose my contacts.
Frick that's an awesome idea!

SIM card contacts are limited to an eight digit or so capital letters contact name and a single number. Since the mid 1990s that's not been enough for me, and I've created more detailed contact lists in software, and since then largely ported them forward by sending them as vcards using bluetooth.

I'd guess the ones on the card are accessible under the extended Hayes modem set though, so software to dump those to a file is not impossible. Might still be useful for emergency numbers I guess.

SIM card contacts are limited to an eight digit or so capital letters contact name and a single number. Since the mid 1990s that's not been enough for me, and I've created more detailed contact lists in software, and since then largely ported them forward by sending them as vcards using bluetooth.

I'd guess the ones on the card are accessible under the extended Hayes modem set though, so software to dump those to a file is not impossible. Might still be useful for emergency numbers I guess.
I don't mind truncating or abbreviating, I'd at least like the option.

Back