Is there really a light at the end of the journey...?

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Eight Bit

Eight Bit Advanced Member

Pyra's battery life can't be much worse than my 2013 Smartphone one...

2. Askarus

Askarus Hardcore Member

I'd rather have something to wake the Pyra up every 30 Seconds or every Minute to check Messages.
    I don't care much about calls but it would be nice to have a notification light on when I got a Message.

3. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

That'll just fix my phone and will delay the Pyra. You need to accept defeat before things'll go smoothly.
    And there's a lot of things wrong with my phone, not just the USB port, I basically need to rebuild it if I'm going to fix it.

4. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

What kind of phone is it we're talking about here? Old, yes - good thing. The older the hardware the easier it is to fix. Old hardware tends to be assembled with a few dozen screws and minimal adhesive. New hardware pieces seem to be dipped in gunk and stuck together like some 3rd grade art project.

NetBLOKS likes this.
  5. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

Nexus 5. I've torn it apart and fixed a few things already but there are limits.
    It doesn't really matter though, you're destroying my joke with reasonable solutions. Stop it! :p

Neelix, Djoga'Ro, Grench and 2 others like this.
  6. tarator

tarator Very Active Member

Actually I'm using QR-Codes quite often to quickly transfer URL's or (longer system) passwords from my desktop-pc to my smartphone. On Kubuntu you can create QR-Codes from your clipboard with one mouseclick.

For NFC I also don't have any useful task till now.

Anyway... I also wish there would've been a camera built into the Pyra. I hope there are some easy hacks out there to get a camera into this device.

7. Letalis Sonus

Letalis Sonus Advanced Member

There is no such thing as a sleep state on an ARM SoC. In fact, the Pandora's "standby" mode only does some aggressive throttling and turns everything else off, the CPU itself just keeps running.

Cortex-M does have some kind of basic short-term "sleep until event/interrupt" instruction, though, but I doubt the OMAP5's M4s are independent enough to be useful in this regard, anwyay.

Haraldur likes this.
  8. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

The Pandora's sleep state is (I think) turn off screen and any peripherals and set the system cpu clock max to something like 100MHz. On the Pyra we could perhaps keep on to the M4 cores running at a slow speed to detect calls and incoming SMS, and use that to wake the main CPU, but if we can only drop the A15s core frequency to some hundreds of MHz it should be more than enough to respond to things like that very quickly, so I'm not sure there's any benefit in even finding out how to use the M4s for this.

Haraldur and Grench like this.
  9. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

That was the original sleep state. Notaz eventually pulled two more low power tricks out of it: the first actually put the CPU to sleep and was able to give an estimated 2 months between charging, the second was massive improvements to the governor and some other CPU tweaks that, when idle, consumed virtually no power, giving as much as 2 weeks of idle time, even while technically not sleeping.

rSl, Haraldur, ckblackm and 2 others like this.
  10. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

Ever tried doin smartphone stuff on an X10 mini? ;)

11. hns

hns Very Active Member

It should not be difficult to adapt https://github.com/akemnade/simple-gsmgui to the different modem AT commands.
    There is also ofono, freesmartphone, replicant and others which can be used as a base.
    So yes, development has been started (or even completed) by other projects - but IMHO there isn't much activity for adapting to the specifics of the Pyra hardware.
    Well, this will change as soon as real hardware is in the hands of more developers.

tarator likes this.
  12. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Retreaux

Who needs a smartphone when you got one of these bad boys?

[​IMG]

rSl and NetBLOKS like this.
  13. AndiTheBest

AndiTheBest Active Member

Thanks, I hope that too :cool::)

Seems silence is also using Signal-protocol, so there may be more implementations of this.
    Actually i'm struggling with merging sms with more than 160chars or special chars.
    They are not readable in text-mode, so it needs PDU-mode.
    I didn't find a useable PDU decode library so i startet to code my own which is more work than i thought.
    When this works fine i can think about encryption extensions ;)

Silent-Hunter likes this.
  14. Caine

Caine Hardcore Member

So what happened to the cases? Weren't they due last Monday?

Maybe I remember wrong and it is the next Monday.

rygD likes this.
  15. TrashyMG

TrashyMG Sarcasm Dispenser Staff Member

Patience, ED may still be having fun playing with his Nubs.

16. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Chaotic Neutral

It just struck me earlier that it's been just over a year since I got to "play" with Pyra's sensitive nubs, when the sample keypads arrived.

It really doesn't seem that long, but I do now consider myself quite deeply nub deprived.

17. levi

Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy_Qlx_djCU?t=34m15s
    Edit: gah, the video mangler takes off my carefully added start time.

tarator likes this.
  18. Caine

Caine Hardcore Member

When I preordered the Pyra I was thinking the same, sort of like "You know... waiting for the Pandora did not feel THAT long". I was wrong, it felt like it took forever, I remember now...

Patience....arghhh, I want to play with nubs too.

19. ZXDunny

ZXDunny Deep avatar

Which videogames crash? I don't recall a videogames crash, and I played new releases (out of hundreds per year) for the whole of the 80s. Was it a US-centric thing?

Link likes this.
  20. levi

Yeah, it was a bigger thing in the US and Japan than it was here as they didn't have the home computer market to such an extent to keep them going until the NES finally made its way out of Japan. As I understand it, Coleco crashed because they'd overstretched creating Pong clones, and the Colecovision as an afterthought wasn't enough to save them, Mattel's Intellivision did better, but releases started to dry up by 1983 I think, so the mantle was left to Atari who fumbled an open goal pretty much. Mind you, even in the US you'd plumped for an Apple II or a Vic-20 or C64 or something, you probably didn't notice the paucity of console software that much.